1. 10th Indo-Nepal joint military exercise "Surya Kiran" commences:
- The tenth edition of Indo-Nepal joint military exercise Surya Kiran commenced at Army Battle School, Saljhandi in Nepal.
- Its emphasis will be on counter terrorism in mountainous terrain. The two weeks (from 31 October to 13 November 2016) military exercise seeks to boost defence ties between India and Nepal.
- The aim of exercise is to conduct battalion level joint training with emphasis on Counter Terrorism in mountainous terrain.
2. Maharashtra tops in 2016 Agricultural Marketing and Farmer Friendly Reforms Index of NITI Aayog:
- Maharashtra has been ranked first state in the country in 2016 Agricultural Marketing and Farmer Friendly Reforms Index.
- The first-ever index based on initiatives taken by the states in implementing farm sector reforms was issued by the NITI (National Institution for Transforming India) Aayog.
- Top 5 States are Maharashtra (score 81.7), Gujarat (71.5), Rajasthan (70), Madhya Pradesh (69.5) and Haryana (63.3).
3. S. P. Balasubrahmanyam to receive centenary award:
- S. P. Balasubrahmanyam will be honoured at the 47th International Film Festival of India.
- He is a big name in Telugu, Tamil, Kannada, Malayalam and also in Hindi.
- He has been working in the film industry for the past five decades and rendered more than 40,000 songs till now.
4. Ramadorai resigns as chairman of NSDA, NSDC:
- Tata veteran S. Ramadorai has resigned as the chairman of the National Skill Development Agency (NSDA) and National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC), sparking speculations that he might be headed back to India’s largest conglomerate.
- Rohit Nandan, secretary of the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship, has been appointed interim head of the NSDA.
5. 51st Haryana Day observed:
- The 51st Haryana Day was observed on 1 November 2016. The day was observed as Haryana Golden Jubilee (Swarna Jyanti) across the state.
- The year will be celebrated as Haryana Swarna Jyanti from 1 November 2016 to 31 October 2017.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be the Chief Guest of the opening ceremony of the year-long golden jubilee celebrations. The opening ceremony will be held in Tau Devi Lal Stadium, Gurugram.
6. Sushil Chandra takes charge as CBDT chairman:
- Senior Indian Revenue Service (IRS) officer Sushil Chandra took over as chairman of the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) today. He succeed Rani Singh Nair who retired from service.
- Chandra is a 1980-batch officer of Indian Revenue Service. Prior to this appointment he was working in the board as Member (Investigation).
- CBDT is nodal policy-making body of the Income Tax (IT) department under the Union Finance Ministry.
7. Kerala CM Pinarayi Vijayan launches paddy cultivation in land set apart for airport:
- Chief Minister of Kerala Pinarayi Vijayan has launched paddy cultivation in Aranmula Puncha near Cochin.
- The programme, under the Harita Keralam project, is part of the Government’s earnest efforts to revive paddy cultivation at Aranmula Puncha that has been lying fallow for the past several years.
8. Scientists develop new Arhar variety:
- The scientists at the Indian Agricultural Research Institute have developed a new variety of Arhar PUSA-16 (pigeon-pea) variety that matures in 120 days.
- It gives the same yields of normal plants and is amenable to mechanical combine harvesting.
- The new high-yielding variety of the new arhar seeds will be made available to farmers from next Kharif season so that these are brought into the production chain at the earliest.
9. PM inaugurates Chhattisgarh foundation day celebrations; Unveils Pt Deendayal Upadhyaya's statue:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated Chhattisgarh's 16th foundation day celebrations in Naya Raipur.
- The Prime Minister will later address people gathered on the Shyama Prasad Mukherjee ground, where the 5-day long Rajyotsava is being held.
- Mr Modi unveiled the statue of Pandit Deendayal Upadhyaya in Naya Raipur. He also dedicate to people, 'Ekatma Path' and the Bus Rapid Transport System in the city.
10. Kerala becomes 3rd open defecation free state:
- Kerala has become the third Open Defecation Free (ODF) state in the country after Sikkim and Himachal Pradesh.
- The announcement was made on the state’s foundation day on 01st November, 2016.
11. Banks to report frauds of Rs 1 crore and above to CVC:
- With several high-ticket alleged frauds like Vijay Mallya loan default case coming to fore, Central Vigilance Commission has now made it mandatory for the public sector banks to report to it all such matters involving funds over Rs one crore.
- The Commission will also call regular monthly meetings of senior officials of Reserve Bank of India (RBI), CBI and banks to monitor probe in suspected bank frauds of Rs 50 crore and above.
12. Twitter India head Rishi Jaitly quits:
- Rishi Jaitly, Twitter's India head who helped popularise the adoption of the micro-blogging website among government departments to respond to citizen queries, has quit the company.
- Jaitly was the vice-president for Asia Pacific, which includes India, West Asia and North Africa for Twitter. He made the announcement on a twitter storm 01st November 2016.
13. Lewis Hamilton wins 2016 Mexican Grand Prix:
- Lewis Hamilton on 30 October 2016 outpaced Mercedes team-mate Nico Rosberg to win the 2016 Mexican Grand Prix.
- Nico Rosberg and Sebastian Vettel finished the GP with Lewis Hamilton second and third respectively.