1. GST Council fixes 4-rate structure:
- The GST council approved four tier tax structure of 5, 12, 18 and 28 percent under the proposed Goods and Services Tax (GST).
- There will be two standard tax rates- 12 % and 18 % under the GST.
- Under the tax structure of 5, 12, 18 and 28 percent, the lower rates will be applicable for essential items and the highest for luxury and de-merits goods that will also attract an additional cess.
2. Paris climate agreement becomes international law:
- The Paris Agreement officially entered into force on 4 November 2016.
- The agreement deals with greenhouse gases emissions mitigation, adaptation and finance.
- The Paris Agreement’s entry into force comes a month after countries representing 55% of the world’s emissions committed to joining the deal.
- As of November 2016, 192 states and the European Union have signed the Agreement, 97 of those parties have ratified or acceded to the Agreement, most notably China, the United States and India.
3. India’s first titanium project starts test production in Odisha:
- The first titanium project of India has started its test production in Ganjam district of Odisha.
- The project has been established by Saraf Group.
- This is first of its kind titanium plant and the only one in the country.
4. India to host Seventh Session of the Conference of Parties:
- The Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, will be hosting the Seventh Session of the Conference of Parties (COP7).
- The Conference will be inaugurated by J P Nadda, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare.
- The Conference will be held from 7 November to 12 November 2016, at India Exposition Mart, Greater Noida, District Gautam Buddha Nagar, Uttar Pradesh.
- It is the first occasion that a Conference of Parties meeting is being held in India.
5. PM Narendra Modi inaugurate Asian Ministerial Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the 2016 Asian Ministerial Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction (AMCDRR) in New Delhi.
- The conference has been organised by Union Government in collaboration with the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR).
- 2016 AMCDRR will pave the way for implementation of the Sendai framework in the Asian region and will also devise a mechanism for monitoring its progress.
6. Shamik Chowdhury wins the German Green Talent award:
- Indian researcher Shamik Chowdhury was awarded the German Green Talent Award. His name is among the list of 25 young researchers who have been honoured with the award.
- The award was conferred to Shamik Chowdhury by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research for his innovative approach in sustainable development, resource efficiency, cleaner production and eco-innovation.
- The Green Talents Award is an award hosted by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) every year to promote international exchange of innovative green ideas.
7. Over 80 crore people covered under National Food Security law:
- According to Food Minister Ram Vilas Paswan more than 80 crore people are covered under the National Food Security Act which has been implemented across the country.
- The Act has been implemented across India from this month with an annual subsidy of Rs 1,40,000 crore.
- Under the Act, beneficiaries are entitled to food grains at highly subsidized rates of rice at three rupees per kg, wheat two rupees and coarse cereals at one rupee.
8. Rekha to be awarded DIFF Lifetime Achievement Award:
- Veteran Bollywood actress and Rajya Sabha MP Rekha will be honoured by the upcoming Dubai International Film Festival (DIFF) with a Lifetime Achievement Award.
- She will be honoured for her 40-year career contribution and participation in more than 180 films. 2016 DIFF will commence on 7 December 2016 and will conclude on 14 December 2016.
- DIFF is an annual film festival held in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. It was started in year 2004
9. Yes Bank launches new mobile banking app:
- India's Private sector lender Yes Bank has launched “Yes Mobile 2.0” its new mobile banking app with multiple new features and extensive support for banking transactions on Apple and Android-based SmartWatches.
- The new application is filled with features like comprehensive bill payments, speech to text capabilities for registering complaints and queries and even bill payments from wearables.
10. Google ties up with ASI for virtual tour of monuments:
- Google has tied up with Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) for 360-degree virtual tour of 280-odd monuments across the country.
- ASI had given the permission to Google for creating the virtual tour, which would be available in the maps.Google has launched an arrangement of products in India like offline view of maps, live traffic alerts and the inclusion of unknown places on the maps by local guides.
11. NASA’s most powerful space telescope completed:
- NASA has successfully completed building its largest space telescope.
- It will be 100 times more powerful than the Hubble probe and may find the first galaxies that formed in the early universe.
- The James Webb Space Telescope will be the successor to NASA’s 26-year-old Hubble Space Telescope.
- The Webb telescope’s infrared cameras are so sensitive that it needs to be shielded from the rays of the Sun.
- A 5-layer sunshield of the sizer of a tennis court will prevent the background heat from the Sun from interfering with the telescope’s infrared sensors.
12. Sri Lankan singer Pandit Amaradeva passes away:
- Legendary Sri Lankan singer and composer Pandit Amaradeva passed away on 3 November 2016 following a cardiac arrest. He was 88.
- He had been the recipient of many international honours including Padma Shri for his contribution to music.