1. Asia’s first & longest cycle highway inaugurated in Uttar Pradesh:
- Asia’s longest cycle highway (7-feet-wide) between Agra and Etawah (UP) has been inaugurated by Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
- The 207 km cycle highway connects the Taj City Agra and the Lion Safari at Etawah, constructed by the UP public works department.
- A rally of 90 cyclists from five countries and across India followed the inauguration ceremony at the Lion Safari in Etawah.
2. India ranks 102nd on enabling cross border trade:
- According to the World Economic Forum (WEF), India has improved its ranking by four places to 102nd position among 136 economies in terms of enabling cross border trade.
- Singapore is leading the top ten economies that are enabling trade across borders followed by the Netherlands and Hong Kong SAR at second and third places, respectively. Others are Luxembourg (4), Sweden (5), Finland (6), Austria (7), the United Kingdom (8), Germany (9) and Belgium (10).
- The US is placed at the 22nd position.
3. M M Kutty appointed as the Delhi Chief Secretary:
- Senior IAS officer (1985-batch from UT cadre) M M Kutty has been appointed as the Delhi Chief Secretary.
- He will replace K.K. Sharma who transferred to the Union HRD Ministry as OSD.
- Now, Kutty is working as the additional secretary in the union ministry of Environment and forests.
4. Bapu's Charkha among 100 'Most Influential Photos of All Time':
- A 1946 picture of Mahatma Gandhi with his Charkha (spinning wheel) in the foreground is among the 100 most influential images of all time, according to a compilation by Time magazine of “images that changed the world.”
- The Time collection includes 100 of the most iconic and history-altering images, dating from the 1820s to 2015 that have remained engrained in the human psyche from the time they were taken.
5. Bangladesh to honour 1668 martyrs of the Indian Army:
- Bangladesh will honour the families of 1668 martyrs of the Indian Army who fought in the India-Pakistan war 1971 resulted in the liberation of East Pakistan (Bangladesh).
- Families of all the martyred soldiers will receive 5 lakh rupees as a mark of respect.
- Prime Minister of Bangladesh, Sheikh Hasina will hand over the amount during her visit to Delhi between 18 to 20 December 2016.
6. Lok Sabha passes Taxation Laws (Second Amendment) Bill, 2016:
- The Lok Sabha has passed the Taxation Laws (Second Amendment) Bill, 2016 to amend the Income Tax Act, 1961 and Finance Act, 2016 on 29 November 2016.
- The Bill was introduced in Lok Sabha on 28 November 2016.
- It imposes a higher rate of tax and penalty in respect of undisclosed incomes.
- The Bill proposes to introduce the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan (PMGK) Yojana, 2016.
7. RBI restricts withdrawals from Jan Dhan accounts up to Rs 10,000:
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has placed a limit of 10,000 rupees on monthly withdrawals from Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan bank accounts.
- If you want to withdraw more than 10,000 rupees, you have to furnish appropriate documents to prove why they need the money.
- Know Your Customer (KYC) compliant account holders may be allowed to withdraw 10,000 rupees from their account in a month.
- Non-KYC compliant account holders may be allowed to withdraw 5,000 rupees per month.
8. Morgan Stanley lowers India’s growth forecast by 40 bps to 7.3% for FY’17:
- American Morgan Stanley has lowered its growth forecast for FY’17 to 7.3% from 7.7% earlier on account of currency replacement programme.
- As global growth accelerates to 3.4% in 2017 from 3% in 2016, Morgan Stanley expects India’s exports to support the overall recovery in 2017 after being a drag in 2016.
- 2018 will be the first year of recovery in private capacity expansion after six years of a weak trend.
9. Gross Non-Performing Assets of PSU banks touch over 6 lakh by Sept:
- According to Minister of State for Finance Santosh Kumar Gangwar Gross Non-Performing Assets (NPA) of public sector banks has touched around six lakh thirty thousand crore rupees at the end of September this year.
- The total number of NPA accounts are around 66 lakh 40 thousand.
- Insolvency and Bankruptcy code has been enacted and the Recovery of Debts due to Banks and Financial Institutions Act have been amended to improve resolution and recovery of bank loans.
- Six new Debt Recovery Tribunals have been established for improving recovery.
10. 4 India-born CEOs on Fortune's Businessperson of the Year list:
- Four leading India-born CEOs, including Microsoft’s Satya Nadella and Mastercard’s Ajay Banga, have featured in Fortune’s Businessperson of the Year list topped by Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg.
- Nadella has been ranked 5th among 50 global corporate heads by Fortune Magazine, followed by CEO of the Milwaukee-based maker of water heaters A O Smith, Ajita Rajendra on the 34th spot, HDFC Bank’s Managing Director Aditya Puri on the 36th position and Banga on 40th.
- The list of 50 business tycoons also includes Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos, 2, Alphabet CEO Larry Page, 4, Alibaba Executive Chairman Jack Ma, 10, Apple CEO Tim Cook, 11, Uber CEO Travis Kalanick, 15 and Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz, 29.
11. UNSC to hold emergency meeting today on Aleppo crisis:
- Today, the United Nation Security Council (UNSC) will hold an emergency meeting on the dire humanitarian crisis unfolding in Aleppo, Syria.
- The 15 ambassadors of the Security Council will get a video conference briefing on the situation in Aleppo.