1. Akodara becomes India’s first Digital Village:
- India’s first digital village created by ICICI Bank at "Akodara" in Sabarkantha district of Gujarat.
- Akodara is located around 90 km from Ahmedabad.
- The village with a total population of 1,191 people and 250 households uses a various cashless system for payments of goods and services.
- All transactions in the village are carried out through digital modes like SMS, net-banking or debit cards.
2. Goa to become India’s first cashless state:
- The Indian state of Goa prepares itself to become the first state to operate cashless in the country from 31 December 2016.
- This announcement was made by Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar, who is also the former Chief Minister of the state, during a rally at Sankhali on 25 November 2016.
- The plan includes making even small vendors selling perishable goods accustomed to mobile payment.
3. Lt-General A K Bhatt appointed as Director-General of Military Operations:
- Lt-General A K Bhatt was on 28 November 2016 appointed as the Director-General of Military Operations (DGMO).
- Lt-Gen Bhatt will succeed Lt-General Ranbir Singh, who declared at a press briefing that Army Special Forces had conducted surgical strikes against terror launch pads in Pakistan-occupied-Kashmir on 29 September 2016.
4. PM Narendra Modi launches Indian Police at Your Call mobile app:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi recently had launched the ‘Indian Police at Your Call’ mobile app at a national police conference held in Hyderabad.
- It was organised by the Intelligence Bureau (IB).
- The app is a GIS Map based interface for the citizens to locate police stations near to their current location so that they can easily reach the police station in case of emergency.
5. Losar Festival being celebrated in J&K:
- The Losar Festival (the New Year Festival) has begun in Ladakh region of Jammu and Kashmir in this Himalayan region.
- In Kargil District people of Fokar and adjacent villages start celebrating Losar from today.
- The Buddhist Community on their Day of Losar and hoped that this New Year will bring peace prosperity.
6. Iranian film Daughter wins Golden Peacock award at 47 IFFI:
- Iranian film “Daughter” has won the coveted Golden Peacock award at the 47th International Film Festival of India (IFFI). It has been directed by Reza Mirkarimi.
- It is a family drama set in southern Iran. It brings out intergenerational conflict between a strict father and a young daughter.
- Union Minister for Information and Broadcasting Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore conferred these awards during the concluding ceremony of IFFI held in Goa.
7. The third gender to be included in rail reservation forms:
- The Indian Railways and Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) have included "transgender as the third gender" in the gender option in the railway ticket reservation and cancellation forms.
- The decision stands for both offline and online booking.
- Earlier, the court had directed the Union and State Governments to recognise transgender as the third gender and to grant them with all the benefits provided to the socially and economically backwards classes.
8. Susan Kiefel becomes first woman appointed as high court chief justice:
- Susan Kiefel has been named Australia's first female High Court chief justice, ending 113 years of men leading the nation's highest court.
- After months of speculation about who would replace retiring chief Robert French, the Turnbull government appointed serving High Court Justice Kiefel to the role.
9. 'Xenophobia' is Dictionary.com's Word of the Year for 2016:
- The website Dictionary.com named the word 'Xenophobia' as the Word of the Year for 2016.
- According to Dictionary.com, there was a massive surge in lookups for the word 'Xenophobia' that was larger than any of the peaks seen in 2016.
- This rise in lookups was connected to attacks on foreign workers and overall rising xenophobia in South Africa.
- The largest spike in Dictionary.com’s data for the word was in the month of June 2016 with a 938 per cent increase in lookups.
10. RBL Bank pact with Bajaj finance for co-branded credit cards:
- Private sector lender RBL Bank (The Ratnakar Bank limited) has tied up with non-banking finance company Bajaj Finance to launch a series of co-branded credit cards for Indian customers.
- The first of these credit cards is proposed to be launched in the fourth quarter of the financial year and targeted at the large segment of people in metros and non-metros.
11. Plane carrying Brazilian first division football team crashes in Colombia:
- A chartered plane with 81 people on board, including members of Brazilian football club Chapecoense, crashed in Colombia on 28 November 2016, with all of them feared dead.
- The plane was travelling from Bolivia to Medellín, where the team was scheduled to play the Copa Sudamericana's final, which is considered as the second most prestigious club competition in South American football.
12. Pankaj Advani claims bronze at IBSF World Snooker Championship:
- Fifteen-time world champion Pankaj Advani has defeated playing against Andrew Pagett (Wales) to settle for a bronze medal at the IBSF World Snooker Championship in Doha (Qatar).
- Andrew reached the final after displaying a 14-74, 8-71, 0-87, 78-64, 0-81, 70-37, 7-80, 37-68, 19-74 win.
13. Argentina beat Croatia to win 2016 Davis Cup:
- Argentina has defeated Croatia to win their first ever maiden 2016 Davis Cup tennis title in Zagreb, Croatia.
- In the final match, Argentina’s Federico Delbonis defeated Ivo Karlovic 6-3, 6-4, 6-2 to give Argentina its first title.
- Earlier, Argentina has reached the finals five times (1981, 2006, 2008, 2011 and 2016).