1. November 26: Constitution day
- The Samvidhan Diwas or the Constitution Day of India is being observed on 26th November to spread awareness of Indian Constitution.
- On 26 Nov 1949, constitution of India was adopted and came into force on January 26, 1950 marking the beginning of a new era in the history of free India.
- The Union Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment (MSJE) is the nodal Ministry for the celebration of Constitution Day. This year it is second edition of the Constitution Day.
- On this occasion Prime Minister Narendra has released two books on Constitution ‘Making of Constitution’ and ‘New Version of Constitution of India‘.
2. Centre forms committee to push cashless transactions:
- The Union Government has constituted a new committee to form a strategy to expedite the process of transforming India into a cashless economy.
- The committee will be headed by Niti Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant.
- It has been tasked with identifying various bottlenecks affecting access of digital payments.
3. Mary Kom to receive Legends Award on December 20:
- MC Mary Kom, the Olympic bronze-medal winning boxer from India, will receive the 'Legends Award' on 20 December 2016.
- She will receive the award from the International Boxing Association (AIBA) on its 70th anniversary.
4. Indian Railways to introduce Tri-Netra to check collisions:
- Indian Railways will soon introduce Tri-Netra (terrain imaging for diesel drivers infrared, enhanced optical and radar assisted) system on its trains to reduce train accidents.
- Tri-Netra is an advance system is made up of a high-resolution optical video camera, high-sensitivity infrared video camera and a radar-based terrain mapping system.
- These three components will act as three eyes (Tri-Netra) of the Locomotive Pilot.
5. Pak appoints Lt Gen Qamar Bajwa as new Army chief:
- Pakistan appointed Lieutenant General Qamar Javed Bajwa as its new Army chief, reports said.
- Bajwa will take up the new post on Tuesday after the retirement of the incumbent chief Raheel Sharif.
- Notably, Bajwa had served alongside former Indian Army chief Bikram Singh on a UN mission in Africa's Congo.
6. South Indian Bank launches contactless debit card:
- Kerala based South Indian Bank has launched contactless debit card which is based on Near Field Communication (NFC) technology.
- Customers can also use this card as contact chip card. If customers use this card at the contactless PoS terminal, the customer simply has to just wave the card on the terminal and the payment is processed wirelessly in a fast and secure manner.
7. Culture ministry releases coins to mark 500th anniversary of Hindu saint:
- Shri Narendra Kumar Sinha, Secretary, Ministry of Culture has released a Commemorative Non-Circulation Coin of Rs.500 and a Circulation Coin of Rs.10 on November 25, 2016, to mark a year-long celebration of “500th Anniversary of Shri Krishna Chaitanya Mahaprabhu’s Coming to Vrindavan”.
- Government of India is celebrating the ‘500th anniversary of Shri Krishna Chaitanya Mahaprabhu’s Coming to Vrindavan’ since a year by organizing various programmes and Exhibitions on Shri Krishna Chaitanya Mahaprabhu’s life and teachings in association with Vrindavan Research Institute and ISKCON.
8. Rajiv Gandhi assassin Nalini Sriharan to release book on prison life:
- Nalini Sriharan who has remained in prison for more than 24 years acclaiming the title as the longest serving women prisoner in India, has finally given a nod to release a book about her prison life.
- In it she explains about the torture she went through inside the prison and her surprise meeting with Priyanka Gandhi Vadra.
- The book titled, ''Rajiv Gandhi assasin, hidden truths, Priyanka meeting Nalini'' was written by Egalaivan with Nalini's permission.
9. Cuba’s former President Fidel Castro passes away:
- Cuba’s former president and leader of the Communist revolution Fidel Castro passed away due to old age. He was 90.
- He was commander in chief of the 1959 Cuban revolution 1959 and had successfully built a communist state on the doorstep of the United States during Cold War.
- He had ruled Cuba as a one-party state for almost half a century (from 1976 to 2008) before handing over the powers to his brother Raul Castro in 2008 due to ill health.
10. Co-creator of MiG-29 Ivan Mikoyan dies aged 89:
- Ivan Mikoyan, Russian aircraft designer and one of the minds behind the MiG-29 fighter jet has died, aged 89.
- He was a lead engineer at MiG Aircraft Corporation's design bureau, founded by his uncle Artyom Mikoyan.
- He awarded the USSR State Prize twice for his contributions to the MiG project and remained a company adviser until his death.
11. Upma Chowdhary named first woman director of LBSNAA:
- Upma Chowdhary was appointed as new Director of Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration (LBSNAA) at Mussoorie.
- She will be the 23rd director and first woman director of LBSNAA. She will replace Rajeev Kapoor.