1. Andhra CM Chandrababu Naidu launches water distribution monitoring portal:
- Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh N Chandrababu Naidu has launched the ‘Smart Water Distribution Monitoring’ web interface through which people can check the status of drinking water in the water tanks nearby
- The Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) system helps in reduction of water wastage as well as ensure seamless supply to the households.
- The monitoring portal is a part of ourvmc.org from where it can be accessed.
2. China successfully launches fourth data satellite Tianlian I-04:
- China has successfully launched its fourth data satellite named Tianlian I-04.
- The satellite will join its three predecessors to achieve global network operation.
- The satellite was launched on board of Long March-3C carrier rocket from the Xichang Satellite Launch Centre in southwest Sichuan province.
3. Bank deposits with RBI hit record high after demonetisation:
- In the wake of demonetisation, bank deposits with the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) have reached a record high of Rs. 4.3 trillion, beating the earlier record of Rs. 1.7 trillion in May 2009.
- The RBI accepts money from various banks by offering government securities as collateral.
- The Indian banking system had collected deposits worth Rs. 5.12 trillion as of 18 November.
4. Union Cabinet approves 62 new Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya:
- The Union Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) has approved the opening of one Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya (JNV) in each of the 62 uncovered district.
- The aim to provide good quality modern education to talented children prominently from rural areas.
- The project comes with an outlay of two thousand 871 crore rupees and expected that nearly 35,000 students will be benefitted.
5. IIT Kharagpur named top university in India for jobs:
- For the second time in a row, IIT Kharagpur has been named the top university in India in terms of jobs and placements, by QS Employability Ranking of top 200 universities across the world.
- IIT Bombay, IIT Madras, IIT Delhi and Delhi University also feature on the list. Stanford University in the US has topped the list globally.
6. Indian-American Nikki Haley named as US ambassador to UN:
- US President-elect Donald Trump has named Indian-American Governor of South Carolina State, Nikki Haley (44) for the high-profile post of US ambassador to the United Nations.
- With this, she becomes the first Indian-American to be appointed to a Cabinet-level post in any US administration.
- She is also first female appointment to a Cabinet-level post and overall sixth appointment of the President-elect Donald Trump led administration.
7. Archaeologists uncover 7000-year old city in Egypt:
- Archaeologists have unearthed a city dating back more than 7,000 years, containing houses, tools, pottery and huge graves in Egypt.
- The discovery was made by an archaeological mission of Egypt’s Antiquities Ministry.
- The city lies by River Nile, close to the Temple of Seti the First in Abydos.
- According to Experts, the city was home to important officials and tomb builders who may have been engaged in the construction of royal graves.
8. Turkey to chair 2017 Energy Club of Shanghai Cooperation Organization:
- Turkey will chair the Energy Club of the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) in 2017.
- Turkey became the first non full member country to be the chairman of a club in the organisation.
- Ankara's proposal for non-SCO member countries to host the term presidency of the Energy Club was accepted in a meeting on 22 November 2016.
9. Yudhvir Singh Malik appointed as new Chairman of NHAI:
- The Union government has appointed Yudhvir Singh Malik (1983-batch IAS) as the Chairman of National Highways Authority of India (NHAI).
- Earlier, he was the special secretary in Niti Aayog.
10. Renowned Hindi & Bhojpuri writer Dr Viveki Rai passes away:
- Renowned Hindi and Bhojpuri litterateur Dr Viveki Rai (92-year) passed away in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh.
- He belongs to Sonwani village in Ghazipur (UP).
- He was presented with the Mahapandit Rahul Sankrityayan Award in 2001 and the Yash Bharati Award in 2006 in recognition of his contributions to Hindi literature.