1. 20 November: Universal Children’s Day:
- Universal Children’s Day was observed across the world on 20 November 2016.
- The day is observed with an aim to promote the ideals and objectives of the United Nation’s Charter and the welfare of the children of the world.
- 20 November is the day when UNGA adopted the declaration of the Rights of the Child in 1959.
- On 14 December 1954, the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) recommended all countries should institute a Universal Children’s Day, which will be observed as a day of the worldwide fraternity to understand children.
2. Badminton: PV Sindhu wins China Open:
- PV Sindhu ace Badminton player clinched her first badminton Super Series title today.
- She defeated China's Sun Yu in a three-game affair 21-11, 17-21, 21-11.
- The 21-year-old became the third non-Chinese woman to win the title after Malaysia's Wong Mew Choo in 2007.
3. Sri Sri Ravi Shankar gets international peace prize:
- Spiritual leader Sri Sri Ravi Shankar was honoured with an international peace prize for his efforts in ensuring world peace.
- The 'Dr Nagendra Singh International Peace Award' was given to him by Home Minister Rajnath Singh.
- The award has been instituted in the memory of Dr Nagendra Singh, an Indian judge at International Court of Justice, The Hague.
4. Income Tax Department to launch Project Insight in May 2017:
- The Income Tax department is planning to implement the first phase of ‘Project Insight’ from May 2017 to monitor high value transactions, with a view to curbing the circulation of black money.
- This project has been initiated for data mining, collection, collation and processing of such information for effective risk management with a view to widening and deepening tax base.
- ‘Project Insight’ is an integrated platform that will utilize vast amount of information easily available on social media to conduct raids online rather than traditional way of conducting random searches, known as tax raids.
5. RBI proposes 'Islamic window' in banks for Sharia banking:
- The Reserve Bank of India has proposed opening “Islamic window” in conventional banks for “gradual” introduction of Sharia-compliant banking in India.
- “Initially, a few simple products similar to conventional banking products may be considered for introduction through Islamic window," RBI said. Islamic banking is based on principles of not charging interest, which is prohibited under Islam.
6. Catholic Syrian Bank to appoint CVR Rajendran as MD & CEO:
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has granted approval for appointment of C.V.R Rajendran as the Managing Director & CEO of Catholic Syrian Bank for a period of three years from the date of his taking charge.
- The Catholic Syrian Bank Limited is an Indian private sector bank with its headquarters at Thrissur, Kerala, India. It is one of the oldest banks in India.
7. Google launches online exhibition on iconic Indian women:
- Technology giant Google has launched an online exhibition exploring narratives of "India's iconic women and unsung heroines through history".
- The collection of artworks and stories spans 2,500 years and includes scientists, leaders, and artists.
- Some of the women featured are India's first practicing woman doctor Savitribai Phule and eminent Indian painter Amrita Sher-Gil.
8. HP announces to set up 48 'digital inclusion' labs in rural India:
- HP Inc. has announced a new programme to build and deploy 48 self-contained, internet-enabled digital inclusion and learning labs in rural India.
- The programme is dubbed as "HP World on Wheels" (WoW).
- It aims to drive digital literacy in remote India and to reach 6,400 Indian villages.
9. Delhi police to set up new control room for common emergency number 112:
- Delhi Police will be setting up a separate control room for handling calls on phone number 112.
- 112 will be India's equivalent of 911 of the USA's all-in-one emergency services.
- Top Delhi Police officials are looking at logistical requirements for the new helpline.
10. World’s first Bollywood theme park opens in Dubai:
- Bollywood Parks, Dubai has opened with fanfare, fireworks, dance, music and simulator 4D shows based on hit Hindi-language movies.
- Visitors were greeted by performers dancing to thumping Bollywood music across the park with some atop a mock-up of a suburban Mumbai railway train and others outside the Rajmahal theatre, which will stage live musicals.
11. R Ashwin 1st bowler ever to take 50 wickets in consecutive years:
- Ravichandran Ashwin, with his 5-wicket haul against England in the Visakhapatnam Test, became the first bowler ever to complete 50 wickets in two consecutive calendar years.
- The off-spinner took 62 wickets in 9 Tests in 2015 and has so far claimed 52 wickets in 9 Tests in 2016. Notably, Ashwin was the top wicket-taker in Tests last year.