1. World Toilet Day:19 November:
- The World Toilet Day is observed across the world on 19th October with an aim to motivate millions across the world on issues of sanitation.
- The theme for 2016 World Toilet Day is ‘toilets and jobs’ focusing on how sanitation or the lack of it can impact people’s livelihoods.
2. Tamil Nadu gets world’s first salt-tolerant plant garden:
- The world’s first Genetic Garden of Halophytes (naturally occurring salt-tolerant plants) was inaugurated at the coastal town of Vedaranyam in Tamil Nadu.
- The first of its kind garden in the world was inaugurated by Mauritius President Ameenah Gurib Fakim through video-conferencing.
- The garden has been set up by M S Swaminathan Research Foundation (MSSRF) founded by eminent agriculture scientist Prof M S Swaminathan, father of Indian Green Revolution.
3. Donald Trump picks Michael Flynn as NSA:
- US President-elect Donald Trump has announced National Security Adviser going to his military Adviser Michael Flynn.
- Mr Flynn is a retired United States Army Lieutenant General and former director of the Defence Intelligence Agency.
- Flynn served as Mr Trump’s top military advisor during the Presidential campaign.
- Michael Flynn would not require US Senate confirmation, unlike Sessions and Pompeo.
4. Ami Bera re-elected to US Congress for 3rd consecutive time:
- Ami Bera (51-year) the only Indian-American in the current Congress in USA has been re-elected to the House of Representatives for the third consecutive time.
- He defeated his Republican rival Sacramento County sheriff Scott Jones.
- Bera will be joined by three first-time Indian-American lawmakers in the US House of Representatives, Raja Krishnamoorthi (Illinois), Pramila Jayapal (Washington State) and Ro Khanna (California).
- This is for the first time that the House will have four Indian-American members.
5. Tata Consultancy Services and Vedanta wins ACES awards:
- Two leading Indian companies, Tata Consultancy Services and Vedanta have been awarded for their leadership in sustainability, corporate social responsibility, eco-consciousness and community care at the third annual Asia Corporate Excellence and Sustainability Awards (ACES).
- TATA Consultancy Services (TCS) was named Industry Champions in the Leadership category.
- India’s Vedanta Limited was named 'Top Companies to Work For in Asia'.
6. Jagdish Singh Khehar appointed executive chairman of NALSA:
- The Union government has appointed Jagdish Singh Khehar, a judge of the Supreme Court, as the new Executive Chairman of the National Legal Services Authority (NALSA).
- He succeeds Anil R. Dave who retired as Judge of Supreme Court after completing tenure of over six years.
- NALSA provides for free legal aid to the poor and weaker sections of the society.
7. Pt Hari Prasad Chaurasia gets lifetime achievement award for classical music:
- The 78 year old noted flutist Pt H P Chaurasia was conferred this year’s Sumitra Charat Ram Lifetime Achievement Award for his contribution in the field of Indian classical music.
8. Latin Grammy Awards 2016:
- The 17th annual Latin Grammys has been announced at the T-Mobile Arena in Paradise, Nevada, US. The nominations were announced on September 21, 2016.
- Latin Grammy Award is given by The Latin Academy of Recording Arts & Sciences to recognize outstanding achievement in the Latin music industry.
List of Winners:
1. Record of the Year- Carlos Vives & Shakira, "La Bicicleta
2. Best Rock Album- Los Fabulosos Cadillacs, La Salvación De Solo Y Juan
3. Best Pop/Rock Album- Julieta Venegas, Algo Sucede
4. Best Singer-Songwriter Album- Manuel Medrano, Manuel Medrano
5. Best Regional Song- "Ataúd," Erika Ender, Manu Moreno & Mónica Vélez, songwriters (Los Tigres Del Norte).
9. Arunachal CM flags-off Digital India outreach campaign van:
- Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu has flagged-off the Digital India Outreach Campaign Van.
- The van will carry out rural outreach campaign in Gram Panchayats, Post offices, CSC, Schools, Business Correspondents, SHGs, Hats across Districts, Sub- Districts and villages.
- It will also explain people the benefits and details of the services offered under e-Governance, Healthcare, e-Commerce etc.
- The Van will travel for around 10-15 days in a particular district depending on the population coverage.
10. Quami Ekta Week to be observed across country from today:
- The Quami Ekta Week (19th to 25th Nov) is being observed across the country from today.
- The week is observed to highlight the strength and resilience of the nation to withstand any potential threats to the secular fabric.
- Many programmes like meetings, seminars and symposia will be organised during the week to highlight the importance of communal harmony and national integration.
- District administrations will hold programmes that promote secularity and non-violence.
11. India and Cyprus ink Revised DTAA:
- India and Cyprus have inked a revised Agreement for Avoidance of Double Taxation and Prevention of Fiscal evasion (DTAA) with respect to taxes on income, along with its Protocol.
- It will replace the existing DTAA that was signed by two countries in June 1994.
- The provisions of new DTAA will enter into force after completion of necessary internal procedures in both countries.
12. Several banks slash FD rates by up to 1% after surge in deposits:
- Several banks including ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank slashed their FD rates by up to 1 %.
- Canara Bank announced lowering its deposit rates in the range of 0.05 to 0.25 % while United Bank of India slashed rates of short-term deposits by 1 %.
- Largest private lender ICICI Bank and HDFC Bank cut their deposit rates by up to 0.25 %.