1. MS Dhoni most valued Indian athlete according to Forbes Fab 40:
- India’s One-Day International (ODI) andTwenty20 International (T20I) captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni has been named as the most valued Indian athlete in 2016 according to shows the Forbes Fab 40 list.
- Dhoni’s brand value reduced from $21 million in 2015 to $11 million this year, and his rank slipped from fifth to 10th during the same period. However, he remains the only Indian among the top 10 athletes globally.
- This year list saw Golfing legend Tiger Woods being toppled by Ace Tennis player Roger Federer who’s brand value is estimated to be around $36 million.
- Other members in the list include Real Madrid prolific striker Cristiano Ronaldo at No. 6 while Lionel Messi from Barcelona has made his entry in the Top 10 for the very first time as he is at No. 8.
2. IFFI to honour Im Kwon-taek with Lifetime Achievement Award:
- Union Information and Broadcasting Minister M. Venkaiah Naidu on 1 November 2016 announced that renowned South Korean director Im Kwon-taek will be honoured with the Lifetime Achievement Award at the upcoming 47th International Film Festival of India (IFFI) in Goa.
- The IFFI will take place from 20 November to 28 November 2016. The festival will pay a special tribute to late Polish filmmaker Andrzej Wajda and late Iranian filmmaker Abbas Kiarostami.
- The 47th edition of IFFI will have its country focus on Republic of Korea under which the best of Korean films will be screened.
3. PM Narendra Modi launches 'Saur Sujala Yojana' in Chhattisgarh:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched the "Saur Sujala Yojana" in Chhattisgarh that would provide solar powered irrigation pumps to farmers at a subsidized price.
- Chhattisgarh would be the first state to implement the scheme.
- Under the scheme, solar powered irrigation pumps of 3HP and 5HP capacity worth Rs 3.5 lakh and Rs 4.5 lakh respectively would be distributed to the farmers by March 31, 2019. The beneficiaries would get the pumps at the subsidised price.
4. Russia invites India to join fast-neutron reactor project:
- Russia has invited India to join in developing next-generation nuclear reactors and to participate in its fast-reactor research project.
- The multipurpose fast research reactor project known by Russian acronym MBIR is coming up as the International Research Centre (IRC) in Dimitrovgrad located in the Ulyanovsk region.
- The MBIR project is based on the closed fuel cycle which involves recycling the nuclear waste as new fuel.
5. Odisha Government launches Madhubabu Aain Sahayata Sibir Scheme:
- Odisha government has launched Madhubabu Aain Sahayata Sibir’ (MASS) scheme to provide legal assistance to deprived sections of the society at the grassroots level.
- The scheme has been named after great Odia lawyer Madhu Babu, who is considered as the first lawyer of Odisha.
6. Benami Transactions (Prohibition) Amendment Act, 2016 comes into force:
- The Benami Transactions (Prohibition) Amendment Act, 2016, designed to curb black money and passed by parliament in August 2016, came into effect.
- The new law amended the Benami Transactions Act, 1988 and renamed as the Prohibition of Benami Property Transactions (PBPT) Act, 1988.
- The benami (without a name) transaction refers to property purchased by a person in the name of some other person.
- The person on whose name the property has been purchased is called the benamdar and the property so purchased is called the benami property. The person who finances the deal is the real owner.
7. ICICI Bank launches overdraft facility for salaried home loan borrowers:
- ICICI Bank has launched a credit facility against home loans for salaried customers.
- The Home Overdraft facility will enable a salaried customer to seek loans up to Rs. 1 crore for personal needs against his/her property.
- Salaried individuals, who have a home loan and a salary account with ICICI Bank, are eligible to apply for the ‘Home Overdraft’ facility. Also, salaried borrowers of preferred corporates who do not have home loans with ICICI Bank can transfer their home loans to the bank to avail themselves of this service.
8. Arnab Goswami resigns as Editor-in-Chief of Times Now:
- Arnab Goswami on 1 November 2016 resigned as the Editor-in-Chief of Times Now, the Bennett Coleman & Co. Ltd-run news channel.
- Goswami was the anchor of Newshour, the prime time news programme which he anchored on weekdays at 9 pm everyday.
9. World Cup top-scorer Klose retires at 38:
- Miroslav Klose, the all-time World Cup top-scorer, announced his retirement from football on 1 November 2016.
- Klose, 38, the leading scorer of Germany with 71 goals in 137 internationals, was without a club after his Lazio contract expired last season.
- He is the most successful goal scorer ever for Germany and the second most-capped player behind Lothar Matthaus (150 appearances).
10. India's Palpreet Singh Included in 2016 NBA D-League Draft:
- Palpreet Singh, winner of National Finals of ACG-NBA Jump, India's first national basketball talent search program, was selected 11th in the fourth Round of the NBA D-League Draft held in New York.
- Satnam Singh, who became the first Indian to be drafted into the NBA when he was selected 52nd overall by the Dallas Mavericks in the 2015 NBA Draft, represents the Texas Legends, the minor league affiliate of the Dallas Mavericks.