1. India, Israel signs two agreements on water resource management & Agriculture:
- India and Israel have inked two agreements in the field of water resources management and agriculture.
- The agreements were signed following delegation-level talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and visiting Israeli President Reuven Rivlin in New Delhi.
- India and Isreal also agreed to further enhance cooperation to deal with the growing threat of terrorism and radicalisation.
- The two countries agreed to promote educational exchanges as well as enhancing people to people contacts through greater cultural and tourism linkages.
2. 2016 will be hottest year on record:
- According to the World Meteorological Organization (WMO), the year 2016 was the warmest year on record globally.
- It was mentioned in the WMO’s preliminary assessment provided in its ‘Status of the Global Climate in 2016’ report.
- WMO is the United Nations’s authoritative voice on Weather, Climate and Water.
- Global temperatures for January to September 2016 were 1.2°C above pre-industrial levels and 0.88°C above the average for the 1961-1990 reference period (baseline).
3. India, US launch USD 95 mn clean energy projects:
- Today, the United States (US) has announced two financial projects worth 95 million US dollars in India to bring more energy-efficient appliances to the rural sector.
- The US has committed 75 million dollars in Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC) financing for renewable energy projects in India and 20 million dollar partnership with the philanthropic sector to bring more efficient appliances to Indian villages.
4. Jharkhand celebrating 17th state formation day:
- Today, Jharkhand government is celebrating 17th state formation day in function at Morhabadi Stadium, Ranchi.
- The state was craved out of Bihar in the year 2000 .
- Jharkhand government is also celebrating the birth anniversary of noted freedom fighter Birsa Munda.
5. Biggest and brightest Supermoon observed:
- The Supermoon was observed after the moon was closest to the Earth at 356,509 km.
- This is for the first time moon came closest to Earth since 1948. Last time, the moon came closer to earth on 26 January 1948.
- Next time the supermoon will be observed on 25 November 2034. During this time moon will be even closer than this year.
6. India's first Cherry Blossom Festival starts in Meghalaya:
- Meghalaya on Monday became the first state to start India's first Cherry Blossom Festival, which is widely celebrated in Japan.
- The four-day festival will also provide opportunities to showcase the unique beauty of pink and white cherry blossoms as well as Meghalaya's traditional arts, culture and cuisine to the naturalists and tourists.
- Chief Minister Mukul Sangma inaugurated India's first Cherry Blossom Festival in this state capital of Meghalaya, where cherry blossoms are in full bloom in several parts of the city and the suburbs.
7. Gujarat government opens 52 generic drug stores:
- Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani has launched 52 generic stores across Gujarat in a function held at Ahmedabad Civil Hospital campus under the Jan-Aushadhi Kendra scheme.
- The Generic Drug stores launched in the state have been named as “Pandit Dindayal Jan Aushadhi Kendra“.
- People will get drugs and other medicines at 40 to 80% lesser cost through these Jan Aushadhi Kendra.
- In the first phase, all the Generic drug stores have been opened in the Civil and Government hospital’s campuses and such stores will function 24 hours a day.
8. Thiruvananthapuram becomes country's 'breast cancer capital':
- Thiruvananthapuram has been termed as the country's breast cancer capital, with cases at a record high of 40 per lakh of population.
- 9 lakh women are diagnosed with breast cancer every year.
- The revelation was made during the Kerala Chapter of Indian Radiological and Imaging Association (IRIA) Conference.
9. Govt sets up special task force to expedite ATM recalibration:
- The Union Government has set up a task force under the chairmanship of RBI Deputy Governor S S Mundra to ensure that ATMs across the country are ready to dispense new denomination notes.
- The task force would ensure that ATM network is activated in the quickest time.
- Representatives from the Union Finance and Home ministries, RBI, State Bank of India, ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank, Axis Bank and the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) will be its members.
- The number of ATMs which will be recalibrated and which can dispense Rs 2,000 notes will be stepped up.
10. UK’s First Indian-Origin Sikh Judge Dies:
- Mota Singh, an Indian-origin Sikh, who became UK’s first-ever ethnic minority judge to sit on the English Bench wearing a turban instead of a horse-hair wig, died.He was 86.
- Mota Singh, a Ramgarhia Sikh, was born in 1930 in Nairobi, Kenya.
11. Padmini Rout wins 2016 National Women Premier Championship:
- International Master Odisha girl Padmini Rout scores a hat-trick in the National Women Premier Chess Championship in New Delhi.
- Padmini played out a hard fought draw with her Petroleum Sports Promotion Board (PSPB ) teammate Eesha Karavade that helped her to secure a hat-trick of title wins.
- S Vijayalakshmi of Air India won the Silver medal while Eesha bagged bronze.
12. Golfer Chawrasia wins first Asian Tour title outside India:
- Indian golfer SSP Chawrasia clinched the $1 million (Rs. 6.8 crore) Resorts World Manila Masters in the Philippines, his first ever Asian Tour title outside India.
- Chawrasia beat Malaysian Nicolas Fung and American Sam Chen on the final day of the tournament.