1. City Union Bank launches India’s first banking robot Lakshmi in Chennai:
- India’s first banking robot named Lakshmi was launched by the Kumbakonam-based City Union Bank (CUB) in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- Lakshmi will be first on-site huamanoid (robot) in India.
- Currently, CUB has readied only one version of huamanoid banker and but is planning to deploy 25-30 robots at key branches by end of year if Lakshmi proves a hit with customers.
- Lakshmi is artificial intelligence powered robot. It can speak English, gesture and engage in a life-like manner in conversations.
2. World Pneumonia Day Observes today : 12th November
- World Pneumonia Day is observed across the world on 12 November.
- The day is annually observed to raise awareness about pneumonia, the world’s leading killer of children under the age of five, promote interventions to protect against, prevent and treat pneumonia; and generate action to combat pneumonia.
- The theme for 2016 is "Keep the Promise, Stop Pneumonia Now".
3. SAIL wins 2016 Golden Peacock Award for corporate governance:
- The Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL) has won the prestigious 2016 Golden Peacock Award for Corporate Governance.
- The award was received by Ashwini Kumar, CEO of Rourkela Steel Plant (RSP) on behalf of SAIL during the 16th London Global Convention on Corporate Governance and Sustainability in London, UK.
4. TAFE setting up Centre of Excellence in Rajasthan:
- TAFE, the world’s third largest tractor maker, in collaboration with the Rajasthan government, is setting up a Centre of Excellence ‘JFarm Rajasthan’ and a Custom Hiring Centre in six zones in Rajasthan at a total outlay of Rs.970 crore.
- JFarm centre will showcase the latest and best in agronomy and farm practices, latest trends in production, protection and processing of crops, and also the world’s best in terms of showcasing farm mechanisation trends and their applicability to India.”
5. Narinder Batra elected president of international hockey federation:
- Narinder Batra became the first Indian to be elected as the President of the International Hockey Federation.
- Batra defeated Ireland's David Balbirnie and Australia's Ken Read.
- Batra got 68 votes in his favour while Balbirnie and Read managed 29 and 13 votes respectively.
6. Chinese Minister elected Interpol President:
- China’s Vice-Minister for Public Security, Meng Hongwei was elected the President of the International Criminal Police Organization (Interpol).
- Mr. Meng took over the position from his predecessor Mireille Ballestrazzi from France after being elected at the closing ceremony of Interpol’s 85th General Assembly held in Bali, Indonesia.
7. 11-year-old Pune girl wins ‘Doodle 4 Google’ 2016 contest:
- 11 year old Pune girl Anvita Prashant Telang has been named national winner of the “Doodle 4 Google” contest.
- The sixth standard student from Vibgyor High School in Balewadi area was chosen for her Doodle submission on the theme titled “If I could teach anyone anything, it would be”.
- The Doodle will be featured on the Google India homepage on November 14 to celebrate Children’s Day.
8. Twitter’s Chief Operating Officer Adam Bain quits:
- Twitter announced that Adam Bain, its Chief Operating Officer (COO), plans to leave the company.
- In August 2016, Bain had celebrated his six-year anniversary at Twitter. Over his time at the company, he helped build Twitter’s ad efforts from the ground up.
- He was once considered a top candidate to be the chief executive of the company before Jack Dorsey got the job.
- After Bain’s decision, Twitter’s Chief Financial Officer (CFO) Anthony Noto will be promoted to the position of COO.
9. Indian Women's team wins Gold at the 7th World Carrom Championship:
- Indian women’s carrom team defeated Sri Lanka to win the gold at the seventh World carrom championship in Birmingham (UK) on Friday.
- India's S Apoorwa and Kajol Kumari also won gold in the women's doubles event.
- Meanwhile, the men's team lost to Sri Lanka to win the silver medal in the competition.