1. South African President Jacob Zuma faces motion of no confidence:
- South Africa’s Parliament is to debate a vote of no confidence in President Jacob Zuma amid growing calls for him to resign after a anti-corruption probe last week raised allegations of misconduct against the South African President.
- This is the third time in less than a year the President is facing a no confidence vote.
2. India and Japan sign civil nuclear deal:
- India and Japan has signed a landmark civil nuclear cooperation deal after talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his counterpart Shinzo Abe.
- India has become the first non-NPT country with which Japan has signed a Civil Nuclear Agreement.
- The deal would allow Japan to export nuclear technology to India and boost bilateral economic and security ties and facilitate US-based players to set up atomic plants in India.
- India has already signed civil nuclear deal with ten other countries (United States, Russia, Mongolia,South Korea, France, Australia, Namibia, Kazakhstan, Argentina and Canada).
3. India to host 2018 International Competition Network annual conference:
- The Competition Commission of India (CCI) was selected as the host the 2018 International Competition Network (ICN) in New Delhi in March–April 2018.
- By virtue of this event, CCI has also been inducted as an ex-officio member of the steering group member of the ICN for a period of 3 years.
- The 2017 ICN Annual Conference will be held in Portugal and will be hosted by Portuguese Competition Authority.
- ICN is an informal international body consists of 132 members from 120 competition jurisdictions. It was established in 2001.
4. Peru to host 2016 Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation Summit:
- The 2016 Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Forum’s Leaders Summit will be held in Lima, Peru from November 19 to 20, 2016.
- The theme of the summit is “Quality Growth and Human Development” and the official logo is the architecture of the ancient city of Caral.
5. Maharashtra, Canada to work on urban infrastructure, smart cities:
- Maharashtra government has signed an agreement with Canada to implement a joint action plan on urban infrastructure development in the state.
- The Canada-Maharashtra action plan seeks to introduce companies, solutions and financing from the North American country for the urban development and implementation of state-led infrastructure projects.
6. Dharmendra Pradhan launches Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana in Punjab:
- Union Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister Dharmendra Pradhan has launched the ‘Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana‘ in Punjab.
- Seven lakh pending families of Punjab will be provided free gas connections under the scheme which will make Punjab 100% kitchen smoke-free.
- The first such type of project will be established at Bathinda at a cost of 500 crore rupees.
- Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas is set to extend benefit of the scheme to 1.5 crore beneficiaries during the current financial year 2016-17.
7. FDI increases by 77.5% to $ 5.15 billion this year in Sep:
- The Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in the country increased by 77.5% to 5.15 billion Dollar in September this year.
- According to the data of the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion, the FDI had stood at 2.9 billion Dollar in September last year.
- Services received the maximum FDI of 2.29 billion dollar during the first half of this fiscal, followed by telecommunications, trading, computer software and hardware and automobile.
8. G Mahalingam is SEBI’s new Full-Time Member:
- Gurumoorthy Mahalingam took charge as Full-Time Member of SEBI on 10th November.
- He will be responsible for leading the Integrated Surveillance Department, Investment Management Department, Enforcement Department (ED), Foreign Portfolio Investors and Custodians, Collective Investment Schemes, and Department of Economic and Policy Analysis, among others.
9. Guy Ryder re-elected as DG of ILO:
- Guy Ryder from United Kingdom has been re-elected Director-General of the International Labour Organisation (ILO) for a second five-year term.
- He was elected by the Governing Body of the International Labour Organization (ILO) and received 54 of the 56 votes.
- Ryder is the 10th DG of ILO and was elected for the first time in May 2012.
- The ILO is a United Nations agency dealing with labour issues, particularly international labour standards, social protection, and work opportunities for all.
10. Pramila Jayapal becomes 1st Indian-American woman to be elected to U.S. House:
- Pramila Jayapal became the first Indian-American woman to be elected to the U.S. House of Representative.
- She won the Senate seat from state of Washington.
- Jayapal received 57 per cent of the votes from Washington State, leaving behind her rival Brady Walkinshaw who secured 43 per cent votes.
11. Mumbai’s Western Railways beat Haryana 4-2 to win Surjit trophy:
- Western Railways women’s team of Mumbai clinched the title in the 33rd Indian Oil Servo Surjit Hockey Tournament by defeating Haryana XI 4-2 in the title clash played at the Olympian Surjit Hockey Stadium in Jalandhar (Punjab).
- The winners were presented a cash award of 1 lakh rupee and trophy and runners-up got 75000 rupees and Trophy.
- Jaspreet Kaur of Haryana XI was declared the best player of the tournament.
12. Sharapova to return as UN goodwill ambassador:
- According to the United Nation (UN), Russian Tennis star Maria Sharapova will be once again goodwill ambassador when her doping ban expires in April next year and she returns to International Tennis competition.
- The UN Development Programme (UNDP) appointed the tennis star as a goodwill ambassador in February 2007, but suspended her in March after her she failed a drug test.
- Earlier, Sharapova’s 24 months ban for testing positive for Meldonium was cut to 15 months by the Lausanne-based Court of Arbitration for sport.
13. Roger Federer wins Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award:
- Roger Federer won the Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award at the ATP awards on 10th November, for the 12th time in his career.
- The award is given to players who display the "spirit of the sport" on the court.