1. Indian Air Force Day is being observed on 8 October:
- The Air Force Day 2016 is observed on 8 October 2016 across India.
- This is the 84th celebration of the Day that began in 1932.
- On this day, the most renowned aerobatics display teams, Red Arrows of the Royal Air Force (RAF), enthralled audience at Indian Air Force Day celebrations in New Delhi.
- They flew Hawk jets, which are single-engine advanced trainer aircraft.
2. New termite species named Chiraharitae discovered:
- A new termite species Glyptotermes Chiraharitae was discovered at Kakkayam in the Malabar Wildlife Sanctuary, Kerala.
- It has been named ‘Chiraharitae’ after the tropical evergreen forests of the Western Ghats, where it was spotted.
- Termites are of three types —damp wood, dry wood and subterranean. Glyptotermes Chiraharitae species are of the damp wood category.
3. Maharashtra becomes 17th state to join UDAY Scheme:
- Maharashtra became 17th state to Central Government’s Ujwal Discom Assurance Yojna (UDAY) scheme.
- It will help Maharashtra to reap benefits worth Rs 9,725 crore by way of cheaper funds, transmission losses, energy efficiency and coal reforms during the period of the turnaround.
- Under the UDAY Scheme, Maharashtra has committed to take more than 75% of the discom’s non-capex debt of around 6,600 crore rupees in the current year.
- UDAY Scheme was launched by Union Ministry of Power for financial restructuring of debt of Power Distribution companies (DISCOMs).
4. Women can also be prosecuted under domestic violence law: SC
- Not only men but women can also be prosecuted under the Protection of Women against Domestic Violence (DV) Act.
- The Supreme Court has struck down the words “adult male” from the pertinent provision in the DV Act to lay down that a woman can also file a complaint against another woman, accusing her of domestic violence.
5. Election Commission partners Facebook to encourage voter registration:
- The Election Commission of India (ECI) has collaborated with social networking giant Facebook to register young voters in 5 states, which are going to polls in 2017.
- These five states are Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, Goa, Manipur and Uttarakhand.
- The purpose first-of-its-kind voter registration drive is to encourage youth to participate in the democratic exercise.
- The services of Facebook will be used to link all the eligible voters who are 18 years and above to the National Voters Services Portal (NVSP).
6. Union Government approves Rs.114 crore worth projects under HRIDAY Scheme:
- The Union Ministry of Urban Development has approved projects worth Rs.114 crore under HRIDAY scheme for improving infrastructure facilities around core heritage sites in five cities.
- These five cities are: Varnasi (Uttar Pradesh), Amritsar (Punjab), Dwaraka (Gujarat), Puri (Odisha) and Warangal (Telangana).
- Projects in these districts were selected based on recommendation of inter-Ministerial HRIDAY National Empowered Committee.
- HRIDAY is a Central Scheme that aims to preserve and rejuvenate the rich cultural heritage of the country.
7. Doordarshan, IGNOU sign agreement for telecast of Gyan Darshan channels:
- Doordarshan and Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) have entered into an agreement for transmission of four Gyan Darshan educational channels.
- Gyan Darshan ran successfully till June 2, 2014, but was shut down by ISRO to facilitate its migration from INSAT 3C to GSAT-10.
8. IMF releases World Economic Outlook:
- The International Monetary Fund on 4 October 2016 released World Economic Outlook (WEO) October 2016.
- The report projects global growth at 3.1 % in 2016, with slight increase to 3.4 % in 2017.
- It says that the persistent stagnation, particularly in advanced economies, could further fuel anti-trade sentiment, stifling growth.
- Growth in emerging Asia, and especially India, continues to be resilient. India’s gross domestic product is projected to expand 7.6 % in 2016 and 2017, the fastest pace among the world’s major economies.
9. Forex reserves touch record high of $372 billion:
- India's foreign exchange reserves scaled a new high of USD 371.99 billion. The reserves had risen by USD 1.166 billion to USD 370.766 billion.
- Previously, they had touched a high of USD 371.279.
10. Maharashtra Government allocates land to LIGO India Project:
- Maharashtra Government has allocated 40.68 hectare land to Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) to build LIGO (Laser Interferometer Gravitational Wave Observatory) India Project at Dudhala village in Hingoli district.
- With this, India will join elite league of countries consisting of US, UK, Italy, Germany and Japan that support on-going research on gravitational waves.
- The LIGO-India Project will be piloted and overseen by Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) and Department of Science and Technology (DST).