1. World Sight Day is being observed today:
- World sight day is being observed annually on the second Thursday of October.
- It is a global event meant to draw attention on blindness and vision impairment.
- It was originally initiated by the SightFirstCampaign of Lions Club International Foundation in 2000.
- The theme of 2016 is “Stronger Together”.
2. October 13: International Day for Disaster Reduction:
- The International Day for Disaster Reduction (IDDR) is observed annually on 13 October across the world encourage citizens and governments to take part in building more disaster resilient communities and nations.
- The 2016 edition of IDDR marks the launch of the new Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction by United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR).
- The theme of 2016 is “Live to Tell: Raising Awareness, Reducing Mortality”.
3. Bob Dylan wins 2016 Nobel Prize for Literature:
- US musician and poet Bob Dylan (75-year) has won the 2016 Nobel Prize in Literature for “having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition,”.
- The Nobel Prize is one of the world’s most prestigious and financially generous awards, comes with a prize of 8 million Swedish kronor ($930,000) prize.
- The awards are presented every year on 10th December ,the anniversary of the death of Swedish industrialist Alfred Nobel.
4. MoU between India and Hungary on cooperation in field of water management:
- The Union Cabinet has given its approval for signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Hungary on cooperation in the field of water management.
- The MoU will be signed between Union Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation and the Ministry of Interior, Government of Hungary.
5. Nishank awarded by Ugandan govt for his literary work:
- Former Chief minister of Uttarakhand Ramesh Pokhriyal “Nishank” has been conferred with a prestigious award by the Ugandan government for promoting human values through his literature in Uganda.
- The award has been presented by the Prime Minister of Ugandan Ruhakana Rugunda.
- Nishank is a Member of Parliament (belongs to BJP) in 16th Lok Sabha from Haridwar Constituency of Uttarakhand.
6. HIMANSH, India’s remote and high-altitude station opened in Spiti:
- The National Centre for Antarctic and Ocean Research (NCAOR) established a high altitude research station in Himalaya called HIMANSH.
- The station is situated above 13500 feet at a remote region in Spiti, Himachal Pradesh.
- The ongoing initiatives by NCAOR will contribute to the integrated study the glaciers in the upper Indus basin (Chandra basin) in Himachal Pradesh and their contribution to discharge.
- The station houses many instruments to quantify the glacier melting and its relation to changing climate.
7. India donates Rs. 9.3 million to Mandela Foundation:
- India donated Rs. 9.3 million to the Nelson Mandela Foundation to help it in its welfare work for the people of South Africa.
- The Nelson Mandela Foundation was established in 1999 after the then President Nelson Mandela stepped down as the President of South Africa.
8. Union Cabinet approves setting up of IIM at Jammu:
- The Union Cabinet has approved the establishment of Indian Institute of Management (IIM) at Jammu.
- The institute will become operational from the Academic Year 2016-17 at the transit or temporary campus at Old Government College of Engineering & Technology.
- The student strength for this year in the Post Graduate Diploma Programme in Management is fifty-four which will go up to a cumulative student strength of 120 in the 4th year.
- The project will involve a cost of around 62 crore rupees for initial four years.
9. Bank of Maharashtra renews tie-up with United India Insurance:
- Bank of Maharashtra has renewed its corporate agency tie-up with United India Insurance Company.
- Customers can buy the entire gamut of UIIC products at any of the 1,896 branches of the bank across the country.
10. Indian hockey team captain P R Sreejesh bags award:
- Indian Hockey team captain P R Sreejesh has been selected for the 28th Jimmy George Foundation Award-2016 for best sports person of Kerala.
- Sreejesh has awarded for his contributions to Hockey field. The award carries a purse of Rs 25,000 and a citation.
11. Shooter Jitu Rai named ‘Champion of Champions’ by ISSF:
- Indian Shooter Jitu Rai has won the 2016 Champion of Champions pistol Award of the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) for pistol shooting.
- Rai has won the award consisting cash prize of €5000 in the World Cup Final held in Bologna(Italy).
- He defeated Damir Mikec of Serbia by 29.6 to 28.3 points in the 10 m Air Pistol Champions Trophy final.