1. India ranks grim 97 of 118 countries on hunger index 2016:
- India ranked 97th out of 118 countries on the International Food Policy Research Institute’s (IFPRI) Global Hunger Index (GHI) in 2016, behind Nepal, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, among others, but ahead of Pakistan and three other Asian countries.
- It was positioned at 80 out of 104 countries the previous year.
2. First BRICS Trade Fair & Exhibition begins in Delhi:
- Today, three-day 1st BRICS Trade Fair and Exhibition has begun in Delhi.
- The fair will be a platform for the BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) countries to exhibit state-of-the-art technologies and advances made in industrial development.
- The theme of the trade fair is Building BRICS – Innovation for Collaboration.
- The focus of the fair is to showcase some of the best technologies available across BRICS nations to address BRICS countries main development challenges.
- It will also focus on Start-ups, to bring together young entrepreneurs from across BRICS nations on this platform.
3. Morocco king reappoints Abdelilah Benkirane as PM:
- The leader of Morocco’s Islamic Justice and Development Party (PJD) Abdelilah Benkirane has been appointed as the country’s prime minister for another term.
- This will be Benkirane second term as Prime Minister of Morocco.
- He has been serving as Prime Minister in a coalition government since November 2011.
4. First World Tsunami Awareness Day to be observed on Nov 5:
- The government of India will be observing the First World Tsunami Awareness Day on November 5.
- It will be observed during the upcoming Asian Ministerial Conference for Disaster Risk Reduction (AMCDRR) 2016.
5. Telangana gets 21 new districts in the state:
- The Telangana government has carried out the biggest administrative reform and created 21 new districts.
- With this, the total number of districts in Telangana went up to 31 from 10.
- Telangana came into existence on 2nd June 2014 as the 29th state of India.
6. Sir Ian McKellen honoured at UK Theatre Awards:
- Veteran actor Sir Ian McKellen (77-year) has honoured with the Outstanding Contribution to British Theatre prize at the UK Theatre Awards.
- He also known for his roles in the “X-Men” and “Lord Of The Rings” film franchises.
- McKellen’s theatre career has spanned six decades and seen him perform at theatres all over the UK.
7. Oscar-winning Polish film director Wajda dies aged 90:
- Oscar-winning Film director Andrzej Wajda, best known for chronicling Poland's struggle for democracy during half a century of communist rule, has died at the age of 90.
8. Style icon Parmeshwar Godrej passes away:
- Godrej group chairman Adi Godrej’s wife Parmeshwar Godrej (70-year) has passed away after a prolonged illness in Mumbai.
- She was Mumbai’s original queen bee and will be fondly remembered as a style icon.
- Earlier, she joined hands with actor Richard Gere, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the Clinton Global Initiative to combat AIDS through the launch of the ‘Heroes Project‘ in 2004.
9.Kabaddi WC venue is India's 1st convertible stadium:
- The Arena by TransStadia in Ahmedabad, venue of the ongoing Kabaddi World Cup, is India's first convertible stadium.
- The Rs. 550 crore project converts an outdoor stadium into an indoor arena in 6 minutes at a touch of a button.
10. Virat Kohli presented with ICC Test Championship mace:
- Indian test cricket captain Virat Kohli was presented with the ICC Test Championship mace for leading his team to the top of the Test Team Rankings.
- On behalf of the International Cricket Council (ICC), the mace was presented by former India captain and ICC Cricket Hall of Famer Sunil Gavaskar at a ceremony in Indore.
- Earlier, India formally replaced Pakistan at the top of the table at the end of the Indore Test, which they won by 321 runs.
11. R Ashwin regains No. 1 spot in Test rankings:
- Indian off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin today reclaimed the number one spot in Test rankings for bowlers following a career-best match haul of 13 for 140 in the third Test against New Zealand in Indore.