1. RBI announces 4th Bi-monthly Monetary Policy:
- RBI's 24th Governor Urjit Patel has announced his first and country's 4th Bi-monthly Policy Statement for the year 2016-17.
- The RBI has reduced the policy Repo Rate under the liquidity adjustment facility (LAF) by 25 basis points from 6.5% to 6.25% with immediate effect.
Current Rates as announced today are:
1. Repo Rate – 6.25% (reduced by 25 basis points from 6.5 % to 6.25 %)
2. Reverse Repo Rate – 5.75%
3. CRR (Cash Reserve ratio) – 4%
4. Bank Rate – 6.75%
5. MSF (Marginal Standing Facility) – 6.75%
6. SLR (Statutory Liquidity Ratio) – 20.75%
2. Three researchers share 2016 Nobel prize in physics:
- The 2016 Nobel Prize in Physics was one half awarded to David J Thouless and the other half jointly to F Duncan M Haldane and J Michael Kosterlitz for theoretical discoveries of topological phase transitions and topological phases of matter.
- David J Thouless is a Emeritus Professor at the University of Washington, Seattle, USA. While, F. Duncan M. Haldane is the Eugene Higgins Professor of Physics at Princeton University, USA and J Michael Kosterlitz is the Harrison E. Farnsworth Professor of Physics at Brown University, USA.
3. Jharkhand becomes first state to implement DBT in Kerosene:
- Jharkhand has become the first state in the country to implement Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) in Kerosene Scheme.
- The scheme is being implemented in four identified districts of the state from 1st of October 2017. These districts are Chatra, Hazaribagh, Khunti and Jamtara.
- Under the DBTK scheme, PDS kerosene will be sold at non-subsidised price and the subsidy will be directly transferred to consumers directly into their bank accounts.
4. SBI becomes first domestic bank to open branch in Yangon:
- The State Bank of India today announced its entry into Myanmar by opening a branch in the capital city of Yangon, becoming the first domestic lender to do so.
- The Yangon branch is the 54th foreign branch of the nation's largest lender.
5. Elephant researcher Prajna Chowta conferred with knighthood by France:
- Film-maker and elephant researcher Prajna Chowta (46) has been appointed Chevalier de l’Ordre National du Mérite (Knight in the National Order of Merit) by the French government.
- She has been conferred with the France’s one of the highest civilian recognitions in recognition of a life devoted to caring for wild Asian elephants.
6. 4–10 October: World Space Week
- World Space Week is an annual event that is observed from 4-10 October every year in various parts of the world including Europe and Asia.
- World Space Week, 2016 is being observed with the theme, Remote Sensing: Enabling our Future.
7. Urban areas of Gujarat and Andhra Pradesh declared open defecation free:
- Gujarat and Andhra Pradesh became the first states to declare their urban areas as Open Defecation Free (ODF) on the second anniversary of the Swachh Bharat Mission.
- The mission launched by PM Narendra Modi, with its urban and rural component handled by the respective ministries, aims to make the country ODF by 2019.
- All 110 cities and towns in Andhra Pradesh were given the ODF tag by Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu at an event in Tirupati.
- Gujarat gave ODF status to each of its 180 cities and towns at a function in Porbandar.
8. Reliance ties up with Dassault to execute Rafale offsets:
- Dassault Aviation of France has entered into a partnership with Reliance group to execute offsets for the recently concluded deal for 36 Rafale fighter jets.
- This is the largest offset contract to be executed by any defence company in India till date.
9. Ashish Vohra appointed as CEO of Reliance Nippon Life Insurance Ltd:
- Ashish Vohra was appointed as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Reliance Nippon Life Insurance Ltd.
- The position of CEO of the company was lying vacant after Anup Rau left the company in June 2016. Prior to this appointment, Vohra was working at Max Life Insurance.
10. Prasar Bharati CEO Jawhar Sircar resigns:
- Jawhar Sircar has resigned as the Chief Executive Officer of Prasar Bharati Corporation.
- His resignation came 4 months ahead of the end of his tenure which was about to end in February 2017.
11. KJ Yesudas, the brand ambassador of Kerala's Haritha Keralam project:
- Playback singer K J Yesudas has been roped in by the Kerala' government as the brand ambassador of its ambitious ‘Haritha Keralam' project.
- ‘Haritha Keralam’ (Green Kerala) project, a massive initiative envisaged for a garbage-free and clean state.