1. 2016 Nobel Peace Prize awarded to Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos:
- The 2016 Nobel Peace Prize has been awarded to Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos.
- He was selected for the prestigious award by the Norwegian Nobel Committee for his resolute efforts to bring the more than 50-year-long civil war of Colombia to an end.
- He was elected Colombian President for first time in 2010 and was re-elected in 2014.
2. Pawan Chamling honoured with Sustainable Development Leadership Award:
- Sikkim Chief Minister Pawan Chamling has been conferred the prestigious 2016 ‘Sustainable Development Leadership Award‘ by President Pranab Mukherjee at Vigyan Bhawan New Delhi.
- The award presented to him in recognition of his vision and leadership in environment and sustainable development leading to the establishment of Sikkim as the first and only organic state in the country.
3. Naidu releases book titled ‘Modi’s Midas Touch in Foreign Policy’:
- Minister for Information and Broadcasting M. Venkaiah Naidu has released the book titled Modi’s Midas Touch in Foreign Policy.
- The book is authored by Surendra Kumar.
- The book draws round the progress and the indelible imprint on the conduct of India’s Foreign Policy by the Prime Minister Modi in the last two and a half years.
4. President Pranab Mukherjee inaugurates World Sustainable Development Summit:
- President Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated the first edition of World Sustainable Development Summit (WSDS) at Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi.
- The summit was organised by The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) with the theme Beyond 2015: People, Planet and Progress.
- WSDS has replaced TERI’s earlier called Delhi Sustainable Development Summit (DSDS). The first DSDS was organised in 2005.
5. 250 mandis in 10 states linked with e-agriculture market in first phase:
- Union Government agriculture minister Radha Mohan Singh has integrated 250 Mandis in ten States with the electronic national agriculture market (e-NAM) in the first phase.
- Uttar Pradesh (67-mandis) have been brought under the e-NAM portal followed by Telengana (44), Gujarat(40), Haryana(36) and Madhya Pradesh(20).
- Government has also approved proposals of 14 states for integrating around 400 mandis under the portal.
- One lakh 60 thousand farmers and over 46 thousand traders have been registered on the platform.
- E-NAM is a pan India electronic portal for sale and purchase of agricultural produce so that farmers get better prices of their produce.
6. 3 agreements between India & Switzerland on Mutual Visa Exemption Return:
- 1. Mutual Visa Exemption Agreement for Holders of Diplomatic Passports.
- 2. Technical Arrangements on Identification and Return of Illegal Migrants and Arrangement for Dependent Person of Diplomatic, Consular, Technical andIndia & Switzerland.
- 3. Administrative Staff of Diplomatic and Consular Mission to Perform Gainful Employment.
7. India to host 2016 Asian Ministerial Conference for Disaster Risk Reduction:
- India is hosting the 2016 Asian Ministerial Conference for Disaster Risk Reduction (AMCDRR) from November 3 to 5, 2016 in New Delhi.
- This will be second time India hosting AMCDRR. The conference will be hosted by Union Government in collaboration with the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR).
- AMCDRR is a biennial conference jointly organized by different Asian countries and the UNISDR. It was established in 2005.
8. Mohan Reddy appointed Hon. Consul of Germany:
- Germany has appointed former NASSCOM Chairman and Executive Chairman of Cyient Ltd. B V R Mohan Reddy as an Honourary Consul of Germany in Andhra Pradesh.
- Mohan Reddy will be the Consul for Germany in Telangana and Hyderabad.
9. Assam CM inaugurates first Model Skill Development Centre in Guwahati:
- Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal has inaugurated the first Model Skill Development Centre of the state in Guwahati.
- It is an initiative of the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship and National Skill Development Corporation.
- The Centre will provide training to the unemployed youths in 13 job roles.
- Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Yojana has envisaged to touch every district, sub-division and even the blocks to develop the skill of youths.
10. Theatre legend Heisnam Kanhailal passes away:
- Eminent Manipuri theatre personality Heisnam Kanhailal (75-year) passed away at his Langol Tarung residence in Imphal (Manipur).
- He had contributed to the field of experimental theatre for more than 40 years.
- He was awarded the Padma Shri civilian award in 2004 and the Padma Bhushan civilian award in 2016 by the Union Government.
11. Arjun Vajpai scales Mt. Cho Oyu:
- Arjun Vajpai, a 23-year-old professional mountaineer from Noida, became the youngest in the world to scale the Mount Cho Oyu, the 6th highest mountain peak in the world at 8,188 metres above sea level.
- This was Vajpai’s second attempt to climb Cho Oyu after he was paralysed midway in 2012.
12. Shooter Jitu Rai bags silver at World Cup in Italy:
- Indian shooter Jitu Rai (29-years) has clinched a silver medal in the 50 metre pistol event of the ISSF World Cup at Bologna, Italy.
- Jitu notched up a total of 188.8, falling short of gold medal winner Wei Pang (190.6) of China by just 1.8 points.
- Italy’s Giuseppe Giordano settled for the bronze.