1. World Teachers’ Day is being observed on 5th October :
- The World Teachers’ Day (WTD) 2016 is being observed across the world on 5th October (since 1994).
- The theme for the World Teacher's Day 2016 is Valuing Teachers, Improving their Status.
- According to UNESCO, World Teachers’ Day represents a significant token of the awareness, understanding, and appreciation displayed for the vital contributions that teachers make to education and development.
2. Nayanjot Lahiri bags prize for book on Ashoka:
- Professor Nayanjot Lahiri (History) at the Ashoka University has been awarded the 2016 John F. Richards Prize for her book Ashoka in Ancient India.
- The Richards Prize is awarded annually by the American Historical Association (AHA) to the best book in South Asian history.
- The prize will be awarded at the Association’s 131st Annual Meeting in January, 2017.
3. Tiny machines win chemistry Nobel prize:
- The Nobel Prize in Chemistry for 2016 has been awarded to Jean-Pierre Sauvage, Sir J. Fraser Stoddart and Bernard L. Feringa for developing the molecular machine.
- The three scientists will equally share the prize of 8 million Swedish kronor, or about $930,000.
4. Union Cabinet approves amendments to HIV and AIDS Bill, 2014:
- The Union Cabinet has approved amendments to the HIV and AIDS (Prevention and Control) Bill, 2014.
- The Bill seeks to safeguard rights of HIV-affected people, as well as to prevent and control spread of HIV and AIDS.
- The bill has the provision for creating an enabling environment for people living with HIV so that they can get better access to antiretroviral therapy (ART).
- Those who will not comply the rule will be given punishment of minimum 3 month and upto 2 years with fine of up to one lakh rupees.
5. India, Singapore sign three agreements:
- India and Singapore have signed 3 agreements, including two in the area of skill development.
- A third MoU was signed in the field of industrial property cooperation.
6. CBSE to discontinue practice of re-evaluation of answer sheets from 2017:
- Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) has decided to discontinue the provision of re-evaluation of answer sheets from next year.
- Since 2014, re-evaluation of answer sheets was done in around 10 subjects for class XII examinations.
- The actual number of students who applied for re-evaluation was only around 1.8% and the number of beneficiaries even less.
7. Mohan Reddy appointed Hon. Consul of Germany:
- Germany has appointed former Nasscom Chairman B V R Mohan Reddy as an Honourary Consul of that country in Hyderabad.
- Mohan Reddy will be the Consul for Germany in Telangana and Hyderabad.
8. Noted Kerala artist Yusuf Arakkal passes away:
- Veteran artist Yusuf Arakkal (71-year) has passed away due to heart attack in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- Recently,he has released a book called Faces of Creativity, which is a comprehensive collection of portraits of fellow artists.
10. Sushil Chandra appointed CBDT Chairman:
- The Government has appointed Indian Revenue Service officer Sushil Chandra as the next chairman of the Central Board of Direct Taxes.
- He will take over from the current CBDT Chairperson Rani Singh Nair, who will retire on October 31.
- Chandra is currently posted as Member, CBDT.
11. Maria Sharapova drugs ban reduced from two years to 15 months:
- Russian Tennis star Maria Sharapova’s doping ban has been reduced from two years to 15 months.
- The Court of Arbitration for Sport cut nine months off the suspension imposed on Sharapova, who was tested positive for a banned substance "Meldonium".
- Now, Sharapova can come back in April and return to Grand Slam play at the French Open.
- The CAS panel found that Sharapova bore some degree of fault for the positive test, saying a 15-month sanction was appropriate.
12. BRICS U-17 football tournament begins in Goa:
- Today, the first edition of the BRICS Under-17 Football tournament begins in Goa.
- The tournament featuring Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa (BRICS) has been organised on the occasion of the 8th BRICS summit that will be held in Goa on the 15th of this month.