1. International day of Older Persons is being observed on 1st October:
- The International Day of Older Persons is observed on 1st October every year.
- It is also a day to appreciate the contributions that older people make to society.
- The theme of this year is “Take A Stand Against Ageism”.
2. Arundhati Bhattacharya gets a year’s extension as SBI chief:
- State Bank of India (SBI) encumbent Chairman Arundhati Bhattacharya will remain the chairperson of SBI for another year.
- Her tenure was to end on 6th October.
- Earlier, the Cabinet gave its nod for merger of State Bank of India (SBI), its associate lenders and Bharatiya Mahila Bank (BMB) that would make the state-owned lender a global-sized bank.
3. SAARC summit "postponed indefinitely":
- Pakistan has officially postponed the 19th SAARC summit 2016, after 5 countries – India, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan and Sri Lanka dropped out of it.
- The SAARC Summit was scheduled on November 9 and 10 in Islamabad, Pakistan.
4. Somesh Sharma elected as new INS president:
- Somesh Sharma of Rashtradoot Saptahik has been elected as President of The Indian Newspaper Society (INS) for the year 2016-17 at the 77th annual general meeting of the INS.
- He succeeds PV Chandran of Grihalakshmi of Mathrubhumi Group.
5. Tirupati Airport awarded as “Best Tourist Friendly Airport”:
- Airports Authority of India’s Tirupati Airport has been awarded as “Best Tourist Friendly Airport” under the category for “State Annual Excellence Awards for the year 2015-16” by Andhra Pradesh Tourism.
- The award was presented on the eve of World Tourism Day by the Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh Chandra Babu Naidu at Bhawani Islands, Vijayawada (Andhra Pradesh).
6. R Subramania Kumar new Executive Director (ED) of IOB:
- The Centre has appointed R Subramania Kumar as Executive Director (ED) of Indian Overseas Bank (IOB).
- Prior to this appointment, Kumar was Executive Director of Indian Bank.
7. Aditya Birla Retail appoints Mohit Kampani as CEO:
- Mohit Kampani, the former managing director of Spencer’s Retail, will be joining Aditya Birla Retail as chief executive officer.
- Aditya Birla Retail Limited is the retail arm of Aditya Birla Group company.
8. Rs. 65,250 cr declared in Income Disclosure Scheme so far:
- According to Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, 65,250 crore rupees have been declared in the Income Disclosure Scheme (IDS) so far.
- Some disclosures have not been tabulated yet and the figure could increase after the final tabulation.
- The scheme was announced by the government in June this year with an aim to bring out black money from the domestic economy.
- Those disclosing assets under the IDS will have to pay 45% tax with penalty.
- The payments can be made in three installments till September 2017.
9. Fiscal deficit at 76.4% of Budget estimate in April-August:
- The government’s fiscal deficit during the first five months (April-August) of the current fiscal stood at around 4.1 lakh crore rupees.
- It was 76.4 % of the budget estimates for the entire 2016-17 fiscal.
- The fiscal deficit in previous year (April to August) had stood at 66.5% of the Budget estimates.
- Fiscal deficit is the gap between expenditure and revenue for the entire current fiscal has been pegged at Rs 5.33 lakh crore (3.5% of GDP).
- Total receipts of the government during the first five months of this fiscal were 27.3 % of the estimates for the current year.
- The revenue deficit during these five months was 91.8 % of budget estimates.
10. HCL and IBM enter 15-year partnership:
- HCL and IBM have entered into a 15-year partnership for automation, development and operations.
- This partnership will enable the both companies to focus their technical teams on native cloud and cognitive solutions, as well as industry-specific opportunities.
11. Railway clinched overall title at 56th National Athletics:
- Railway emerged as the overall champions at the 56th Atheletics Open Nationals that ended on 30 September 2016 in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh.
- The highlight of the final day's action was a surprise win in triple jump by the Airforce Sergent Malkit Singh that sealed the gold.
12. India beat Bangladesh to clinch men’s U-18 Asia Cup Hockey Trophy:
- India lifted the 4th men’s Under-18 Asia Cup hockey trophy by defeating Bangladesh in the final in Dhaka(Bangladesh).
- India scored a goal in the last minute to edge past hosts Bangladesh 5-4 in the final of the U-18 Men’s Asia Cup hockey.
- Hardik Singh (India) was named the Man of the Match, while Pankaj Kumar Rajak (India) was named the Best Goalkeeper of the tournament.