1. Brazil wins 1st BRICS U-17 football tournament Championship:
- Brazil has lifted the 1st BRICS U-17 Football Tournament 2016 held at Goa after defeating the South Africa in the title clash with 5-1.
- For the 3rd place between Russia and China, Russia defeated China 2-1.
2. Russia, India ink defence deal on S-400 Air Defence Systems:
- India has signed a defence deal worth nearly Rs 39,000 crore with Russia to purchase five state of art S-400 ‘Triumf’ air defence systems.
- Besides, India also announced to collaborate in making four stealth frigates and setting up a joint production facility for making Kamov helicopters under Make in India.
- An S-400 ‘Triumf’ long-range air defence missile system is one of the most advanced long-range defence systems in the world. It is referred to as SA-21 Growler by NATO.
3. Maldives to leave Commonwealth after Warnings over Democracy:
- Maldives government decided to leave the 53-member Commonwealth of Nations.
- The decision was announced weeks after the organisation warned it of suspension by the Commonwealth Ministerial Action Group (CMAG) if it failed to take further steps to promote the rule of law and democracy.
4. Smriti Irani inaugurates India International Silk Fair in New Delhi:
- Textiles Minister Smriti Irani has inaugurated the India International Silk Fair in New Delhi.
- The fair is with the objective of providing the opportunity to small and medium entrepreneurs to showcase their unique products to the visiting overseas buyers.
- The fair will provide a unique opportunity for exporters to display products and for overseas buyers a place to source their merchandize.
- India is the second largest producer of Silk in the world.
5. DMRC launches free Wi-Fi on Airport Express Line:
- Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) Managing Director Dr. Mangu Singh has launched free Wi-Fi facilities at Metro stations on its Airport Express Line (22.7 Kilometer).
- Now, Commuter will be able to avail free wifi services by logging onto ‘Oui DMRC Free Wifi‘ and access internet applications like email, Facebook, Google, video chat as well as live streaming of cricket and football matches etc inside the station premises.
- Earlier, wifi facility was launched on Yellow Line’s Rajiv Chowk, Kashmere Gate, Central Secretariat and Hauz Khas stations in association with Rail Tel Corporation.
6. Rajnath Singh inaugurates 10 days long 'Rashtriya Sanskriti Mahotsav 2016':
- ‘Rashtriya Sanskriti Mahotsav (RSM) 2016’ is being organized by M/o Culture in IGNCA premises, Janpath, New Delhi from 15th to 24th October, 2016.
- The festival was inaugurated by Shri Rajnath Singh, Union Minister for Home Affairs in the presence of Dr Mahesh Sharma, Minister of State (I/C) for Culture and Tourism and Shri Padamanabha Acharya, Governor of Nagaland.
7. Union Government has launched Mining Surveillance System:
- The mines ministry on 15th oct came out with mining surveillance system (MSS), a pan-India surveillance network using latest satellite technology, to check illegal mining.
- MSS is a satellite-based monitoring system, which aims to check illegal mining activity through automatic remote-sensing detection technology
8. Indian Scientist Gaikwad bags young scientist award in US:
- An Indian scientist Kirtiraj Kundlik Gaikwad has been awarded the prestigious IAFP Young scientist scholarship award 2016 for his research work on a development of novel oxygen absorbing package in the field of active packaging for oxygen sensitive food products.
- The award worth (2000 US $)and an award plaque has been presented to him in the annual meeting of International Association Of Food Protection (IAFP) held in St Louise, USA.
- Kirtiraj Kundlik Gaikwad is food packaging researcher.
9. Rosneft-led consortium buys India’s Essar Oil for $13 billion:
- Russian consortium led energy giant Rosneft Oil Company has agreed to acquire India’s second biggest private oil firm Essar Oil in an all-cash deal valued at about US $13 billion.
- The business transaction was announced in the presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Russian President Vladimir Putin at the 8th BRICS Summit in Goa.
- Rosneft bought a 49% stake in Essar Oil’s refinery, port and petrol pumps, while Trafigura Group Pte and United Capital Partners split 49% equity equally.
10. Cadaver skin transplantation performed at JIPMER:
- Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER) Puducherry has performed skin transplant harvesting skin from a brain dead patient.
- This is the first time such a transplant done in a government hospital in the country.
- The skin taken from the dead patient is transplanted to a person with burn injuries and another patient with a chronic nonhealing wound.
- JIPMER is among the few hospitals in the country to have license from the Government of India for Cadaveric Tissue Transplant.
11. Odisha celebrates Kumar Purnima festival:
- Odia households are celebrating the Kumar Purnima festival.
- The festival is significant to unmarried girls, who wear new clothes and chant prayers to the Sun and the moon gods to get a good life partner.
- On the occasion, a traditional game called Puchi is played by the residents in the rural areas and many villages conduct mock marriages of children called Kumari Bibaha.
12. India becomes first team to play 900 ODIs:
- India's ODI againts New Zealand at Dharamshala on 16th oct 2016 is the team's 900th making it the world first side to achieve a milestone.
- 900th One Day International (ODI) match between India and New Zealand will be held at the HPCA stadium in Dharamshala.
- Out of the 899 ODI's, India has won 454, lost 399 tied seven, while 39 have abandoned.