1. Abu Dhabi Crown Prince to be Chief guest on Republic Day 2017:
- The crown prince of Abu Dhabi, Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan will be the chief guest at the Republic Day parade on 26th January 2017.
- Union Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) Spokesman Vikas Swarup has announced in New Delhi after the crown prince accepted invitation.
Chief guests of Republic Day parades:
Francois Hollande (French President)- 2016
Barack Obama (US President)- 2015
Shinzo Abe (Japanese Prime Minister)-2014
2. Japan’s Yoshinori Ohsumi wins Nobel Prize in medicine:
- Japanese cell biologist Yoshinori Ohsumi (71-year) has received the 2016 Noble Prize in Medicine for his discoveries on how cells recycle their content, a process known as autophagy.
- Ohsumi is a professor in Tokyo Institute of Technology ‘s Frontier Research Center.
- Dr. Ohsumi, who was born in 1945 in Fukuoka, Japan and received a Ph.D. from the University of Tokyo in 1974.
3. India ratifies Paris Climate Agreement:
- India has ratified the Paris Agreement on climate change on the 147th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
- India’s Permanent Representative to UN, Syed Akbaruddin handed over the Instrument of Ratification signed by President Pranab Mukherjee to the United Nations in New York.
- With this, India became 62nd country to ratify the agreement. These 62 countries including India are responsible for almost 52% of Green House Gases (GHG) emissions.
- The Paris Agreement was adopted by more than 190 nations at the 21st Conference of Parties of UNFCCC (UN Framework Convention on Climate Change) held in Paris in December 2015.
4. Delhi Police launches Mobile App for senior citizens:
- The Delhi Police has launched a mobile application “Delhi Police Senior Citizen” for senior citizens to enable them to reach out to the police quickly in emergency situations.
- The mobile application was launched by Delhi Lieutenant Governor(LG) Najeeb Jung at a function in New Delhi .
- The app will have the facility of pressing an SOS button for emergency call to the senior citizens helpline 1291.
5. New species of Pika discovered in the Sikkim Himalayas:
- Researchers at the National Centre for Biological Sciences (NCBS), Bengaluru have recently identified a new species of Pika named Ochotona sikimaria high up in the Sikkim Himalayas.
- It is quite distinctive from all other pika species based on the fecal pellets and tissue samples.
- Pikas are members of the rabbit family and look like tailless rats and they are a keystone species and ecosystem engineers.
6. “Murga” wins first prize at Swachh Bharat Short Film Festival:
- Maharashtra Young filmmaker Katyayan Shivpuri has won the first prize at the Swachh Bharat Short Film Festival (SBSFF) for his work "Murga".
- The Union Information and Broad casting Minister M Venkaiah Naidu bestowed award upon Katyayan with a certificate and cash prize of 10 lakhs rupees.
7. Assam CM Sonowal releases report on human development:
- Chief Minister of Assam Sarbanand Sonowal has released the second Human Development report 2014 of Assam in Guwahati .
- The report presents a detailed scenario of the overall human development in the state.
- The report observed that the overall level of human development in Assam has shown a continuous improvement over the last 15 years.
- It puts the Human Development Index in Assam at 0.557.
- 56.4 % people are enjoying subjective well being which means people are either moderately satisfied or intensively satisfied.
8. Indian-origin teen wins Google Science Fair prize:
- Kiara Nirghin, A 16-year-old Indian-origin South African teen has won a $50,000 scholarship, the grand prize at the annual Google Science Fair for her work using orange peel to develop a cheaper “super-absorbent material” that helps soil retain water.
9. India’s Gaganjeet Bhullar wins Korea Open:
- India’s Arjuna awardee golfer Gaganjeet Bhullar (28-year) has won the 6th Asian Tour title, Korea Open 2016 in Incheon, South Korea.
- He was awarded a cash prize of 216 million-won ($196,000) for winning the title.