1. United Nations Day is being observed o 24 October:
- The United Nations Day is being observed globally on October 24.
- The day marks the anniversary of the entry into force of the UN Charter (the founding document of UNO) in 1945.
- This year's UN Day will be used to highlight concrete actions people can take to help achieve the Sustainable Development Goals.
2. AIIMS, Ganga Ram doctors chosen for Dr B C Roy award:
- Two doctors each from the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) and the Sir Ganga Ram Hospital (SGRH) were selected for the prestigious Dr Bidhan Chandra Roy Award for excellence in the field of medicine.
- Randeep Guleria, Head of Pulmonology, and CS Yadav of Department of Orthopaedics from the All India Institute of Medical Sciences were selected for the award.
- Chairman of Board of Management at the Sir Ganga Ram Hospital D S Rana and Arvind Kumar were also chosen for the coveted award.
4. ITBP celebrating its 55th raising day:
- The Indo-Tibetan Border Police celebrated its 55th raising day on 24 October.
- The force was created on 24th October in 1962.
- ITBP is deployed on border guarding duties from Karakoram Pass in Ladakh to Jachep La in Arunachal Pradesh covering 3488 kilometer of India-China Border.
5. President inaugurates Sardar Patel Heart Institute at Ankleshwar:
- President Pranav Mukherjee has inaugurated the Sardar Patel Heart Institute at Ankleshwar in Gujarat.
- He also unveiled the statue of Sardar Patel situated in the institute premises and is scheduled to deliver an address at the institute in a short while.
6. AT&T Inc agrees to buy Time Warner Inc for 85.4 billion US dollars:
- AT&T Inc agreed to buy Time Warner Inc for 85.4 billion US dollars in a deal that will transform the phone company into a media giant.
- AT&T agreed to pay 107.50 US dollars a share, evenly split between cash and stock. The deal is expected to close by the end of 2017.
7. Ratan Tata replaces Cyrus Mistry as Tata Sons chairman:
- In one of the biggest upheaval in the corporate sector, the Tata Sons Board has appointed Ratan Tata as the interim chairman of the group, replacing Cyrus Mistry.
- Mistry has resigned from his post as chairman.
8. Iraq’s Parliament passes law banning alcohol:
- Iraq's Parliament passed a law banning the sale, import and production of alcohol in the country.
- The law imposes a fine of up to 25 million Iraqi dinars for anyone violating the ban. However, the law can be struck down by the supreme court of Iraq.
9. Mehar Mittal, legend of comedy in Punjabi movies, passes away:
- Veteran Punjabi actor Mehar Mittal, who acquired legendary status with his comic roles, passed away at a hospital in Mount Abu, Rajasthan, on 22nd October 2016 after prolonged illness.
- Mittal has been a well-known face in Punjabi movies for over four decades. He worked in more than 100 movies and ruled the small screen too.
10. Lewis Hamilton wins 2016 United States Grand Prix:
- Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton (England) has won the 2016 United States Grand Prix.
- The race was held at the Circuit of the Americas, Austin, Texas, United States.
- Nico Rosberg (German) finished second while Red Bull Racing-TAG Heuer’s Daniel Ricciardo finished third in the race.