1. Centre to establish Krishi Vigyan Kendra in each district:
- Union Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh has announced at least one ‘Krishi Vigyan Kendra’ in each of the districts in the country to provide technical assistance to farmers will establish.
- Earlier, he was interacting via video conference with all the Krishi Vigyan Kendra experts, district level officers associated with agriculture development and progressive farmers of 12 States.
2. Japan’s Watanabe elected president of International Gymnastics Federation:
- The secretary-general of Japan Gymnastics Association (JGA) Morinari Watanabe has been elected as the new President of the International Gymnastics Federation (FIG).
- Watanabe has become the 9th President of the FIG. He will succeed Bruno Grandi.
- He has won the election after defeating rival candidate Georges Guelzec of France by a huge margin in a vote at the governing body’s Congress.
- The International Federation of Gymnastics (IFG) is the governing body of competitive gymnastics and its headquarters is in Lausanne, Switzerland.
3. Global conference to strengthen Arbitration & Enforcement in India begins:
- Today, the first ever three-day global conference to strengthen Arbitration and Enforcement in India inaugurated by President Pranab Mukherjee in New Delhi.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will deliver the valedictory address on Sunday.
- The Conference seeks to provide impetus to commercial arbitration in the country, which is fast gaining pace across the world, for faster and efficient dispute resolution outside the court room.
4. Railway ministry inks MoU for Smart Railway Stations:
- The Union Ministry of Railways and Union Urban Development Ministry have inked Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for smart railway stations.
- The validity of the MoU is for the five years and can be extended with the consent of both the ministries.
- Under this initiative Railway stations and surrounding areas will be redeveloped under the Smart City plan and 500 railway stations in the country will be ‘smarten up’ with better passenger amenities, integrated public transport hubs and easy access.
5. Milan confers honorary citizenship on Dalai Lama:
- The Chairman of Milan city council Lamberto Bertole has honored the Dalai Lama (14th) with the Milan Honorary citizenship award at the ceremony held at the Arcimboldi Theatre in Milan, Italy.
- Dalai Lamas are important monks of the Gelug school, the newest school of Tibetan Buddhism, which is nominally headed by the Ganden Tripas.
6. India, China conduct second Joint tactical Exercise in Ladakh:
- India and China have conducted second joint military exercise “Sino India Cooperation 2016” in Ladakh region along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in Jammu and Kashmir.
- The exercise compliments Hand in Hand series of India-China joint military exercises that aims to enhance cooperation and maintain peace and tranquility along border areas of both countries.
- The theme of the day long joint exercise was based on Humanitarian Aid and Disaster Relief (HADR).
7. Prez inaugurated Accountants General Conference:
- President Pranab Mukherjee has inaugurated the 28th Accountants General Conference in New Delhi.
- The Accountants General from various places of the country has participated in the conference and reviewed the international ‘best practices’ prevalent in audit and accounting.
- The two-day conference is being organized by the Comptroller and Auditor General of India(CAG).
- The conference offers a forum for the exchange of ideas, grappling with evolving issues and experience sharing
8. Protein-enriched rice variety developed by IGKV Chattisgarh:
- A protein-enriched rice variety has been developed by the Indira Gandhi Krishi Vishwavidyalaya (IGKV), Raipur,Chattisgarh .
- The new variety has over 10% protein content and has 30 PPM zinc content.
- Researchers worked for seven years to develop the variety of rice.
- This rice variety will play a crucial role in addressing issues of protein deficiencies.
9. Police Commemoration Day being observed across the country:
- Today, the Police Commemoration Day being observed across the country.
- Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh with other dignitaries laid the wreath and pay homage to the police martyrs at Police Memorial Ground, Chanakyapuri in Delhi.
- The day commemorates the sacrifices of Ten policemen while defending the borders with China in 1959.
- The Annual Conference of Inspectors General of Police of States and Union Territories held in January 1960 decided that 21st October will be observed as Commemoration Day in all Police Lines throughout India to mark the memory of these gallant personnel.
10. RBI relaxes norms for foreign investment in startups:
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has said that Foreign Venture Capital Investors (FVCIs) can invest in Indian startups irrespective of the sector in which the startup is engaged without prior permission of the apex bank.
- Sebi-registered FVCIs have also been permitted to invest in unlisted firms in sectors like biotechnology, nano technology and dairy without prior permission of the RBI.
- The extant regulatory provisions have been reviewed and amended in order to further liberalize and rationalize the investment regime for FVCIs and to give a fillip to foreign investment in the startups.
- FVCIs can also open a foreign currency account and/or a rupee account for the purpose of making transactions.
11. SC freezes BCCI's financial transactions:
- Supreme Court on 21 October 2016 froze all financial transactions between the BCCI and state cricket associations.
- The apex court directed the apex cricket body not to disburse any funds, even for the match purposes, till BCCI resolved to abide by Justice RM Lodha panel recommendations.
- A bench headed by Chief Justice T S Thakur asked Lodha panel to appoint independent auditors to scrutinize all BCCI accounts.
- The judgment also directed the Lodha panel to ask the auditors to scrutinize the high-value contracts provided by BCCI.
12. Luis Suarez receives 2nd European Golden Shoe of his career:
- Barcelona forward Luis Suarez (29-year) has received a second European Golden Shoe of his career after becoming the leading scorer in Europe’s top domestic leagues last season.
- He scored 40 goals in 35 La Liga starts, helping Barca retain the Spanish title.
- He ended the 2015-16 campaign with 59 goals in 52 appearances for Barca in all competitions.
- Earlier, He won the golden shoe award with Liverpool in the 2013-14 when he scored 31 times to help the Reds finish runners-up in the Premier League.
13. BCCI agrees to use DRS, to be used in Test series vs England:
- Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has agreed to deploy Decision Review System (DRS) on a trial basis during India’s home Test series against England from the 9th November 2016
- The changes, which have been effected to DRS, include the introduction of ultra-motion cameras for accurate ball tracking and Ultra edge technology for determining the frame of impact.