1. Oliver Hart and Bengt Holmstrom win 2016 Nobel Prize in Economics:
- Two economists Oliver Hart and Bengt Holmstrom have won the 2016 Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences. Both of them will share 8 million kronor, or about $930,000.
- Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences has selected them for their contributions to contract theory which tells how contracts help people deal with conflicting interests.
- Last year Nobel prize in Economics was awarded to Angus Deaton "for his analysis of consumption, poverty, and welfare".
2. World Mental Health Day is being observed on 10 October:
- World Mental Health Day is observed annually on 10 October.
- This year theme is ‘Psychological First Aid’.
- The day is annually observed with an aim to raise awareness about mental health issues around the world and mobilising efforts in support of mental health.
3. IAE to tie up with India for its global LED programme:
- The International Energy Agency (IAE) is going to partner with India to implement its Unnat Jyoti by Affordable LEDs for All (UJALA) initiative globally for energy savings.
- IAE has been impressed with performance of India’s UJALA programme in terms of vastly improving access to LED lighting while reducing their cost drastically.
- UJALA scheme is LED-based Domestic Efficient Lighting Programme (DELP) that aims to promote efficient lighting, reducing energy consumption and energy savings.
4. MP to launch 'Lalima Abhiyan' to make state free from anaemia:
- With an aim to make Madhya Pradesh anaemia-free, the state government has decided to launch a scheme-'Lalima Abhiyan'- that will be effective from November 1.
- Under the campaign, free iron folic acid tablets will be provided in aagan wadis', academic institutions and hospitals.
5. Govt to get Rs 37000 crore from spectrum auction this fiscal:
- Union government will garner as much as 37,000 crore rupees this fiscal from spectrum auction after taking into account close to 5,000 crore rupees of service tax that telecom companies will pay.
- The government has received commitment of 65,789 crore rupees by selling 964.80 MHz of spectrum.
- Total of 930 Mhz of spectrum sold over the last four years, government sold 965 Mhz of spectrum in the 2016 auctions.
- Of this, winners have to deposit 32,000 crore rupees within 10 days of receipt of allotment letters.
6. 'Aiyoh' now in the Oxford English Dictionary:
- The Oxford English Dictionary has included "Aiyoh" and "Aiyah" in its latest edition.
- The word has defined as, "In southern India and Sri Lanka, expressing distress, regret, or grief; 'Oh no!', 'Oh dear!'".
7. Maruti Suzuki Raid de Himalaya flagged off:
- The world’s highest arena rally Maruti Suzuki Raid de Himalaya (18th edition) has flagged off from Manali in Himachal Pradesh.
- The rally will cross the challenging route of Kaza, traversing through Sarchu towards Leh over the course of seven days.
- Over 240 motor sport enthusiasts in 155 teams are participating in this rally.
- The participants will compete in three categories- Cars Extreme, Bikes Extreme and Adventure Trial.
8. Renu Pall appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Austria:
- Former Indian Foreign Service officer Ms. Renu Pall has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Austria.
9. Edutainment platform for primary schools in Kerala:
- The Kerala State education department has introduced New Information Communication Technology (ICT) textbooks for primary classes from 1st to 4th.
- Around 1.5 million students can enhance their learning ability with the introduction of a new textbook which integrates even games through meaningful learning situations in Kerala.
- The new textbook, named 'Kalipetty' (which means play box), has been developed in a scientific manner and is expected to simplify mathematics and other subjects.
10. Former boxing champion Aaron Pryor dies at 60:
- American boxer Aaron Pryor died on 09 October 2016 at the age of 60 after a long battle with heart disease.
- Pryor built a 39-1 record with 35 knockouts during his career.
11. Agnieszka Radwanska wins 2016 China Open Women's Singles:
- Poland’s Agnieszka Radwanska won the 2016 China Open Women's Singles at the National Tennis Center in Beijing, China.
- Radwanska defeated Johanna Konta 6-4, 6-2 to grab the title.
12. Andy Murray wins 2016 China Open Men's Singles:
- Andy Murray won the 2016 China Open Men's Singles title at the National Tennis Center in Beijing, China.
- World Number two Murray defeated Grigor Dimitrov by 6–4, 7–6.
13. Nico Rosberg won the Japanese Grand Prix:
- Nico Rosberg of Germany and Mercedes GP won the Japan Grand Prix at Suzuka Circuit.
- Red Bull’s Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton finished the GP with Nico Rosberg second and third respectively.
14. Indian shuttler Ruthvika Shivani clinches Russian Open Grand Prix title:
- India's 19-year-old shuttler Ruthvika Shivani Gadde won the women's singles title at the Russian Open in Vladivostok.
- Pranaav Jerry Chopra and N Sikki Reddy added to India's tally by winning the mixed doubles title at the event.