1. Agreement on Trade, Commerce and Transit between India and Bhutan:
- The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved the agreement on Trade, Commerce and Transit between India and Bhutan.
- The agreement provides for a free trade regime between two countries. It also provides for duty free transit of Bhutanese merchandise for trade with third countries.
2. Delhi Govt. to set up air treatment system to deal with air pollution in city:
- The Delhi State PWD Minister Satyendra Jain has announced a three-tier air treatment system to deal with rising air pollution in the city ahead of Diwali.
- The government in collaboration with National Environmental Engineering Research Institute (NEERI) and IIT (Bombay) set up the entire system within 45 days.
- This is for the first time that the city administration has taken such steps to bring down rising air pollution in the city.
3. Antartica’s Ross Sea declared as world’s largest Marine Protected Area:
- Antartica’s Ross Sea was declared as world’s largest Marine Protected Area (MPA) to protect the Earth’s most pristine marine ecosystem.
- It was declared after landmark international agreement among 24 countries and European Union in Commission for the Conservation of Antarctic Marine Living Resources (CCAMLR) meeting in Hobart, Australia.
- The Ross Sea is one of the last intact marine ecosystems in the world. It covers 1.6 million square kilometers.
4. Daughters of Mother India wins at CAM International Film Festival:
- Indian National Award winning documentary ‘Daughters of Mother India’ won the first prize in the Documentary Film category at the sixth CAM International Film Festival in Cairo, Egypt.
- The CAM International Film Festival was organised by Arabic Egyptian Society for Culture, Media and Arts (CMA). The fest was held from 8 October to 13 October 2016.
- The 2016 edition featured around 92 films from 33 countries in three categories: Short Fiction, Documentary and Animation.
5. Sports Ministry recognises new boxing federation:
- Sports Minister Vijay Goel has granted recognition to Boxing Federation of India (BFI) as National Sports Federation for Boxing.
- The recognition to the BFI will give a big boost to the boxers for their preparation for the Tokyo Olympics and other major international competitions.
- There has been no National Sports Federation for Boxing since 2012.
6. Railway Minister launches a new train service between Anand Vihar to Ballia:
- Railway minister Suresh Prabhu has launched a new train service through video conferencing between Anand Vihar to Ballia in Uttar Pradesh.
- It will run weekly between these two destinations.
- It was a long pending demand of the Ballia people to introduce a direct train between Ballia and Delhi.
7. Microsoft launches India’s first Cybersecurity Engagement Center in Delhi:
- Microsoft has launched its first full-scale Cybersecurity Engagement Center (CSEC) in Delhi.
- It is first-of-its-kind Cybersecurity Centre in India and overall 7th in the world after Tokyo, Seoul, Beijing, Singapore, Berlin and Washington DC.
- It will bring together Microsoft capabilities to foster deeper Cybersecurity collaborations with public and private sector organisations.
8. The first woman who conquered Mount Everest Junko Tabei passes away:
- Junko Tabei was the japanese mountaineer and the first woman to ascend all Seven Summits by climbing the highest peak on every continent.
9. Goa’s First Woman Chief Minister Shashikala Kakodkar Dies At 81:
- Shashikala Kakodkar is a prominent leader of the Maharashtrawadi Gomantak Party (MGP), a political party based in Goa, India, that espouses the cause of the Bahujan Samaj.
10. India wins first ever international team roller skating medal:
- India has won its first-ever medal in an international roller skating racing event at the ongoing Asian Championships in Lishui,China.
- The trio of Dhanush Babu, Vikram Ingale and Nikhilesh Tabhane have won the bronze in the 3,000-metre team relay event.
- The final was contested amongst five teams, with South Korea (gold), China ( second) and India narrowly pipping Chinese Taipei to the third position.
- This is the first time in India’s two decade competitive roller skating history, that a medal has been secured in a racing event.
Current Affairs Quiz 28th October 2016