1. India wins 2016 Kabaddi World Cup:
- India has won the 2016 Kabaddi World Cup by defeating Iran by 38-29 score in the final match played at the Arena By TransStadia in Ahmedabad.
- It was India’s third consecutive Kabaddi World Cup in the Standard Style version of Kabaddi. Earlier India had won in 2004 and 2007.
- Arena By TransStadia is India’s first-ever convertible stadium.
2. Rajasthan HC dissolves state’s OBC Commission:
- Rajasthan High Court in October 2016 order dissolution of the State Other Backward Classes (OBC) Commission.
- The commission was constituted without the State Assembly enacting any legislation for it.
- The order was passed by a division bench of court comprising Justice KS Jhaveri and Justice Mahendra Maheshwari.
3. NABARD sanctions Rs. 19,702 crore loan to National Water Development Agency:
- The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has sanctioned loan worth Rs. 19,702 crore to National Water Development Agency (NWDA).
- The loan will be provided through NABARD’s Long Term Irrigation Fund (LTIF) for 50 irrigation projects from 11 States.
4. Mahesh Sharma chairs first meeting of reconstituted CABC:
- Culture and Tourism Minister Mahesh Sharma has chaired the first meeting of the Reconstituted Central Advisory Board on Culture (CABC).
- The members of the CABC were requested to highlight priority areas in the fields of art, music, dance and literature.
5. Smooth-coated otter sighted for first time in Krishna sanctuary:
- Smooth-coated otter was sighted for the first time in the mangrove forest near the Krishna wildlife sanctuary (KWS) in Krishna district, Andhra Pradesh.
- The smooth-coated Otter (Lutrogale perspicillata) is a species of otter, the only extant representative of the genus Lutrogale. Otter is a carnivorous mammals.
6. 2,000 notes will be in circulation soon:
- Banknotes of the denomination of Rs.2,000 will be in circulation.The Reserve Bank of India has very nearly completed preparations for introducing this new high-value currency.
- The notes have already been printed and their despatch from the currency printing press in Mysuru has commenced.
7. FIFA unveils mascot for 2018 World Cup:
- Zabivaka the wolf followed in the footsteps of Naranjito the orange, Footix the football-playing rooster and Fuleco the armadillo by being named as the official mascot of the 2018 World Cup.
- The wolf, whose name according to FIFA means “the one who scores”, received 53 per cent of the more than one million votes cast in a poll, beating a tiger (27 percent) and a cat (20 percent).
Current Affairs Quiz 23rd October 2016