1. Union Government launches UDAN for Regional Air Connectivity:
- Union Minister for Civil Aviation Ashok Gajapathi Raju has launched the regional air connectivity scheme UDAN (Ude Desh ka Aam naagrik) in New Delhi.
- The scheme seeks to get more people to fly in the smaller towns and expected to be rolled out by January 2017.
- The scheme UDAN envisages providing connectivity to un-served and under-served airports of the country through the revival of existing air-strips and airports.
- UDAN aims to increase ticketing volume from 80 million to 300 million by 2022.
2. PM Modi inaugurates terminal building of Vadodara airport:
- Today,Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated the integrated terminal building of Vadodara Airport in Gujarat.
- Now, the two airports (Kochi and Vadodara) have joined the green movement in the country.
- PM Modi also inaugurated event to distribute artificial limbs and other implements to more than 8 thousand “Divyangs” in the city.
- The event has been jointly organized by the Artificial Limb Manufacturing Corporation of India (Kanpur-based), the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment and Vadodara district administration.
3. ICGS Aryaman and Atulya Commissioned into Indian Coast Guard:
- The Indian Coast Guard Ships (ICGSs) ‘Aryaman’ and ‘Atulya’ were commissioned into Indian Coast Guard in Kochi, Kerala.
- These ships are the 18th and 19th in the series of twenty Fast Patrol Vessels (FPVs) designed and built by Cochin Shipyard Limited.
- The ships have been christened ICGS ‘Aryaman’ and ‘Atulya’. Aryaman literally meaning is ‘Possessor of Greatness’ and Atulya meaning is ‘Unrivalled’.
4. Govt. & World Bank sign $650 million agreement for eastern corridor project:
- India has signed a 650-million US dollar loan agreement with the World Bank for the Eastern Dedicated Freight Corridor-III (EDFC-III) Project.
- The project will benefit industries of Northern and Eastern India for transportation of material inputs and exports.
- The project is being developed by Dedicated Freight Corridor Corporation of India Ltd. (DFCCIL).
- Railway passengers will also be benefitted through decongestion of the existing passenger lines.
5. Rajeev Pratap Rudy inaugurates Kaushal Mahotasava:
- Union Skill development and Entrepreneurship Minister Rajeev Pratap Rudy has inaugurated ‘Kaushal Mahotasava‘ in Varanasi,Uttar Pradesh.
- He also flagged off placement drive for youths skill under “skill India programme“.
- Around thirty prominent companies took part in the recruitment drive.
- Rudy also lauched a "skillup mobile app",the app will help the job seekers to search suitable work for themselves and will also help the employer to identify skilled workers for their industry.
6. The Adivasi Will Not Dance: Hansda Sowvendra Shekhar:
- The book titled “The Adivasi Will Not Dance, penned by Hansda Sowvendra Shekhar” has shortlisted for The Hindu Prize 2016.
- It establishes Jharkhand’s Hansda Sowvendra Shekhar as one of our most important contemporary writers.
- The characters of the book are set in the fecund, mineral-rich hinterland and the ever-expanding, squalid towns of Jharkhand.
- The Adivasi Will Not Dance is a mature, passionate, intensely political book of stories, made up of the very stuff of life.
7. Indian Army team wins gold medal in gruelling Cambrian Patrol exercise:
- A team from the Indian Army's Gorkha Rifles has won a gold medal at one of the most gruelling exercises in the world.
- Team 2/8 Gorkha was awarded a gold medal in Exercise Cambrian Patrol organized by the British Army.
- The medal went to the eight men of the 2nd Battalion of 8 Gorkha Rifles.
8. TRAI recommends Rs. 3,050 crore penalty on Airtel, Vodafone & Idea:
- Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has recommended to the imposition of Rs. 3,050 crore penalty on Bharti Airtel, Vodafone and Idea cellular for allegedly denying interconnectivity to Reliance Jio.
- TRAI has found the three companies to be non-compliant with license conditions regarding giving interconnection to Reliance Jio customers.
- It also noted that denial of interconnection by these operators to RJio appears to be with the ulterior motive to stifle competition and is anti-consumer.
- Earlier, Reliance Jio had complained that over 75% of calls on its network are failing as incumbents were not giving sufficient points of interconnect that would help complete calls.
9. IIL develops CYSVAX, world’s first vaccine to fight against tapeworms in pig:
- The Indian Immunologicals Limited (IIL) has launched CYSVAX, world’s first vaccine to fight against Taenia solium Tapeworms in pigs.
- The vaccine has significant potential benefit to reduce the incidence of epilepsy in humans.
- The CYSVAX is a recombinant porcine (Pigs) Cysticercosis Vaccine.
10. Fifth Tawang festival starts at Tawang town Arunachal Pradesh:
- Three-day “Tawang festival” has started at historic Tawang town in Arunachal Pradesh.
- The festival has begun with a religious procession (Sebang) carried out by monks from Tawang monastery to the festival ground.
- 18 exhibition stalls were set up, amongst which Monpa stall from Mukto and Lumla demonstrated the process of handmade paper.
11. Eminent journalist Tilak Hazarika passes away:
- Eminent journalist & writer of Assam Tilak Hazarika (95-year) has passed away in Guwahati,Assam.
- Mr. Hazarika was the editor of popular Assamese weekly newspaper Sadin and Asom Bani.
12. India rise to best FIFA rankings in 6 years:
- The Indian football team achieved its best FIFA ranking in over six years when the side jumped 11 places to be 137th in the latest list released.