1. India signs pact with Russia to lease second nuclear submarine:
- India has signed agreement with Russia to lease second Akula-II class nuclear attack submarine (SSN).
- The deal is believed to be worth about $2 billion.
- The lease to transfer a multipurpose Project 971 nuclear submarine to India from the Russian Navy was signed in Goa on the sidelines of 8th BRICS Summit.
- Akula-class submarines of Project 97 (NATO name Akula-II) weigh around 8,140 tonnes and expected to arrive in Indian waters in 2020-21.
- They are considered one of the most silent SSNs in service and are capable of sailing at speeds up to 35 knots.
2. International Prize in Statistics awarded to Sir David Cox:
- Prominent British statistician Sir David Cox has been named the inaugural recipient of the International Prize in Statistics.
- Sir Cox is honored for Survival Analysis Model (or Cox Model) Applied in Medicine, Science, and Engineering.
- The International Prize in Statistics Foundation is recognizing Cox specifically for his 1972 paper in which he developed the proportional hazards model that today bears his name.
3. Pakistan to enforce complete ban on Indian TV, and radio contents:
- Pakistan's media regulatory authority has decided to enforce a complete ban on Indian TV and radio contents from 21 October 2016.
- In a statement, Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority (PEMRA) said that it has decided to ban airing of Indian content at the request of the federal government.
4. SBI declares Silchar as its 5th zone in North East:
- The State Bank of India (SBI) has declared Silchar as its 5th zone in North East after Guwahati, Shillong, Dibrugarh and Jorhat.
- Earlier, Silchar was under Guwahati zone and it was tough on the part of the bank to address the complaints and issues of the customers with such a difficult terrain.
- The bank has 736 branches across North East together with 3,000 ATMs and 3,000 customer service points for customer facilitation.
5. Maharashtra launches Kaushalya SETU initiative:
- Maharashtra Government launched a skill development programme, Kaushalya SETU (Self-Employment and Talent Utilisation) for students.
- It is likely to generate employment for as many as 7.5 lakh people in state.
- For the purpose of employing skilled people, the state also signed 22 MoUs with various industries.
6. Kochi becomes first Indian city to host FIFA U-17 World Cup:
- India city Kochi has been officially declared as one of the venues for hosting the 2017 FIFA U-17 world Cup.
- The tournament will be hosted in the Jawaharlal Nehru International Stadium of the city.
- Earlier, A 23-member high-level delegation comprising experts from FIFA and Local Organising Committee (LOC) ratified Kochi as the venue for next year’s mega event.
7. Satydev Katare passes away in Mumbai:
- Senior Congressman and leader of opposition in Madhya Pradesh legislative assembly Satydev Katare passed away in Mumbai.
- Mr. Katare was MLA from Ater legislative assembly of Bhind district.
- Congress had nominated senior party MLA and former Minister Bala Bachchan as the acting Leader of Opposition.
8. South African struggle icon Mewa Ramgobin passes away:
- South African struggle icon Mewa Ramgobin (83-year) has passed away at Cape Town.
- Ramgobin was married to Ela Gandhi, a human rights activist and Mahatma Gandhi’s granddaughter.
- He was among the first supporters of the Release Mandela campaign.
9. Indian Railways wins World Railway Shooting Championship Cup:
- Indian Railways have won the first time the World Railway Shooting Championship Cup at Saint Mandrier, France. Last year, India railways were the runners up team.
- Indian Railways team has won a total 10 medals (5 Gold, 3 Silver and 2 Bronze) to bag the Overall Championship at the 15th International Shooting World Championship (USIC).
- The purpose of USIC is to encourage the practice of amateur sport among railway employees all over the world.
10. Asian Champions Trophy men’s hockey tournament starts in Malaysia:
- Six nations tournament Asian Champions Trophy men’s hockey tournament starts in Kuantan, Malaysia.
- In the opening day matches, India will open its campaign against Japan while Malaysia will play defending champions Pakistan.