1. PM Narendra Modi launches Urja Ganga in Varanasi:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has laid the foundation stone of Urja Ganga, the highly ambitious gas pipeline project in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh.
- The gas pipeline project aims to provide piped cooking (PNG) gas to residents of the eastern region of the country and CNG gas for the vehicles.
- The project is being implemented by state-run gas utility GAIL. It envisages laying a 2,050-km pipeline connecting Jagdishpur (UP) to Haldia (West Bengal) by 2018.
2. PM Modi to inaugurate first National Tribal Carnival in New Delhi:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated first National Tribal Carnival in New Delhi.
- The carnival showcasing various facets of tribal culture is aimed at promoting a sense of inclusiveness among the tribals.
- The events during the carnival will be a mix of live music and dance performances, exhibitions, display of crafts, fashion show, panel discussions and book fair.
- It will expose tribal culture, tradition and the skill to the general public with a view to utilizing the potential for overall holistic development of the Scheduled Tribes.
3. CO2 level reaches record high in 2016: WMO
- The World Meteorological Organization (WMO) reports the level of carbon dioxide emissions in the atmosphere has reached a record high in 2016.
- According to WMO, the concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere reached 400 parts per million for the first time in 2015 and surged to new records this year.
- It is not possible to tackle climate change without tackling CO2 emissions because the lifetime of this greenhouse gas is very long.
- The World Meteorological Organization (WMO) is an intergovernmental organization with a membership of 191 Member States and Territories and its headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland.
4. China's space lab launches micro-satellite, Banxing-2:
- Tiangong-2, the experimental space lab of China, successfully launched a micro-satellite, Banxing-2 (the word means Companion Satellite).
- The micro-satellite is roughly the size of a desktop printer.
- Weighing 47 kilograms, the micro satellite has a series of visible light cameras, including a 25 megapixel camera and wide-angle imagers.
- Its mission is to take photographs of Tiangong-2 and the Shenzhou 11 spacecraft, which docked with the lab on 19 October 2016.
5. Portugal's Renato Sanches wins 2016 European Golden Boy Award:
- Portugal’s Renato Sanches on 24 October 2016 was awarded the 2016 European Golden Boy award.
- Sanches will be handed a trophy at a Monte Carlo ceremony. He defeated Manchester United’s Marcus Rashford, Bayern's Kingsley Coman and AC Milan goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma to bag the prize.
- Renato Sanches is a Portuguese professional footballer who plays as a midfielder for German club Bayern Munich and the Portugal national team.
6. Arun Jaitley launches SMS Alert for salaried tax payers on TDS deductions:
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley has launched the SMS Alert Service for direct taxes for about 2.5 crore private and Government salaried employees at a function in New Delhi
- The new step is an effort by the Income Tax Department to directly communicate deposit of tax deducted, through SMS alerts at the end of every quarter.
- The Department will soon extend this facility to another 4.4 crore non-salaried taxpayers.
7. ECI amends election rules to allow e-transfer of postal ballot:
- The Union govt. has amended the Conduct of Elections Rules, 1961 enabling service voters, including armed forces personnel to cast their vote in elections through the e-postal ballot.
- A blank postal ballot paper would be transmitted to them electronically.
- The technical team of the Election Commission has developed the system to transmit blank postal ballot electronically to the voter.
- On a pilot basis, the e-postal ballot system has been introduced for service voters consisting of central para military forces.
8. G Balakrishna wins Mr Asia title:
- G Balakrishna in October 2016 won the Mr Asia title at the 5th Phil-Asia bodybuilding championships in the Philippines. 25-year-old Balakrishna is a Bengaluru-based water tanker driver.
- In 2013, he won Mr Universe Under-24 junior contest in Germany
- In 2014, he won Mr Universe title in the same category at the world championship in Athens.
10. Rajeev Misra appointed as Head of Softbank Vision Fund:
- India-born Rajeev Misra has been appointed as Head of SoftBank Vision Fund.
- SoftBank Vision Fund constituted by Japanese telecom and Internet major Softbank Corp.
- The SoftBank Vision Fund intends to make investments in the technology sector globally.
11. Bilal Nazki appointed as chairperson of JKHRC:
- Jammu and Kashmir Governor N N Vohra has appointed former Chief Justice of Orissa High Court Bilal Nazki as the chairperson of the State Human Rights Commission (JKHRC).
- Earlier, Nazki was the chairperson of Human Rights Commission of Bihar and also headed the committee set up by the Centre to review the functioning of the Haj Committee of India and its state units in 2013.
12. Tom Hayden, famed anti-Vietnam war activist passes away:
- A peace activist whose radical views helped spur the 1960s anti-Vietnam War movement Tom Hayden (76-year) passed away UCLA Medical Center in Santa Monica, California,USA.
- Hayden, who served nearly two decades as a California state lawmaker.
13. Govt presents cash award to medal winners of RIO Olympics, Paralympics:
- Sports Minister Vijay Goel has presented a cash award to the medal winners of RIO Olympics and Paralympics 2016 at a function in New Delhi.
- Gold medalists were given 75 Lakh rupees each, while Silver medalists got 50 Lakhs.
- Bronze medalists received 30 Lakh rupees each.