1. 17 October : International Day for the Eradication of Poverty:
- The International Day for the Eradication of Poverty is an international observance celebrated every year on 17th October throughout the world.
- The theme of 2016 is Moving from humiliation and exclusion to participation: Ending poverty in all its forms.
2. China launches its longest-ever manned mission to space:
- Today, China has launched a spacecraft carrying two astronauts Jing Haipeng (50) and Chen Dong (37), in its longest-ever manned space mission.
- They will spend a month aboard an experimental space laboratory that is part of a broader plan to have a permanent manned space station in service around 2022.
- The Shenzhou-11(heavenly vessel) blasted off on a Long March rocket at 7:30 AM local time from the remote launch site in Jiuquan, in the Gobi desert, in images carried live on state television.
3. 8th BRICS Summit concludes in Goa:
- The eighth BRICS summit was held in Goa from 15 to 16 October 2016. The summit concluded with adaptation of Goa Declaration.
- The theme for the summit was “Building Responsive, Inclusive and Collective Solutions”.
List of MoUs signed by BRICS Countries include:
• MoU for Establishment of BRICS Agricultural Research Platform
• MoU on Mutual Cooperation between Diplomatic Academies
• Regulations on Customs Cooperation Committee of the BRICS
4. BRICS to set up credit rating agency:
- The five-nation group of emerging economies BRICS has agreed to set up an independent BRICS Rating Agency in its efforts to challenge western hegemony in the world of finance.
- It was announced during the 8th BRICS summit held in Goa, India.
- The BRICS Rating Agency will be based on market-oriented principles to strengthen the global governance architecture.
5. C Radhakrishnan selected for Mathrubhumi Literary award:
- Eminent writer C Radhakrishnan has been selected for the Mathrubhumi Literary Award-2016 in recognition of his contribution to the field of literature.
- He was selected by a panel chaired by novelist M Mukundan.
- The award carries a cash prize of Rs. 2 lakh, a citation and a statuette.
6. Himachal Pradesh Police celebrates Cyber Crime awareness week:
- Today, Himachal Pradesh Police is celebrating Cyber Crime awareness week.
- The Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC) an institution of Department of Electronics & Information Technology under the Ministry of Communication & Information Technology is helping the police.
- The Himachal Pradesh police has planned the three-phase strategy to aware the common people on cyber-crime in the state.
- The focus would be on educating the School and College students during the campaign.
7. Ashok Leyland launches first India-made electric bus:
- Hinduja Group flagship Ashok Leyland today launched - Circuit - the first “Made in India” electric bus.
- The bus with a minimum seating capacity of 35 to a maximum of 65 can run up to 120 kilometres on a single recharge under standard test conditions.
8. Govt. grants BP Plc licence to set up petrol pumps in India:
- The Union Government has formally granted a licence to Europe’s third-biggest oil company BP to set up 3,500 petrol pumps in India.
- BP has been granted the licence to market Motor Spirit (petrol) and High-Speed Diesel (diesel).
- State-owned Indian Oil Corp (IOC) owns 25,363 petrol pumps, Hindustan Petroleum Corp Ltd (HPCL) 13,802 stations and Bharat Petroleum Corp Ltd (BPCL) 13,439 outlets.
9. Cipla signs deals to set up first biosimilars units in South Africa:
- Indian pharmaceutical major Cipla has signed a memorandum of agreement for South Africa’s first biosimilars manufacturing facility to be set up at a cost of nearly USD 91 million.
- The agreement with KwaZulu-Natal Dube Trade Port Special Economic Zone for Cipla BIOTEC’s new facility was concluded on the margins of BRICS Summit in Goa.
10. NCC National Games begins today:
- Director General (Officiating) of National Cadet Corps (NCC) Maj Gen JS Sandhu has inaugurated the Opening Ceremony of the NCC National Games 2016 in New Delhi.
- The aim of the games is to provide the talented sportspersons amongst the cadets a feel of a major sporting event and prepare them with requisite match temperament and further their sporting careers.
- Ten days games will feature more than two thousand NCC Cadets from all parts of the country.
- Shera has been adopted as the mascot for the Games.
11. ICC announces first-ever women's World T20 in 2020:
- The International Cricket Council has decided to organise the first ever ICC Women's World T20 event in 2020.
- A decision to this effect was taken at the ICC Board meetings which concluded in Cape Town.
- Cricket Australia, hosts for the men's and women's ICC World Twenty20 in 2020.
12. Boxer Neeraj Goyat retains WBC Asia welterweight title:
- Indian boxer Neeraj Goyat (24-years) has retained his WBC welterweight Asia title by outpunching Australia’s Ben Kite in New Delhi.
- Neeraj has become the first Indian boxer to defend a pro title.
- The fight was organised by the Professional Boxing Organisation of India.
13. Sourabh Varma wins men’s singles title at Chinese Taipei Open:
- Indian shuttler Sourabh Verma (23-year) has clinched the men’s singles title at the Chinese Taipei Open badminton by defeating Malaysia’s Daren Liew in the summit clash of the Grand Prix tournament in Taipei City.