1. ISRO successfully launches GSAT-18 from Kourou in French Guiana:
- India’s latest communication satellite GSAT-18 has successfully launched by a heavy duty rocket of Arianespace from the spaceport of Kourou in French Guiana.
- Earlier, the launch was originally scheduled for yesterday, but deferred by 24 hours owing to unfavourable weather conditions at Kourou.
- The satellite aims at providing telecommunications services for the country by strengthening ISRO’s current fleet of 14 operational telecommunication satellites.
2. Portugal’s Antonio Guterres set to be UN secretary general:
- Portugal’s former Prime Minister Antonio Guterres (66-year)is poised to become the next Secretary General of the United Nations after the Security Council declared him to be the unanimous choice in the sixth straw poll.
- After the UNSC formal vote, Mr Guterres's name will be officially transferred to the General Assembly.
- Guterres is expected to take over from Ban Ki-moon early next year.
- Earlier, he was the head of the UN refugee agency from 2005 to 2015.
3. India's first Medipark in Tamil Nadu:
- The Union Cabinet approved setting up of a Medical Devices Manufacturing Park (Medipark) at Chengalpattu, Kanchipuram District, Tamil Nadu through a special purpose Vehicle.
- The Medipark project will boost the local manufacturing of hi-end products at a significantly lower cost, resulting in affordable healthcare delivery to a large section of people.
4. Roopa Ganguly nominated to Rajya Sabha:
- President Pranab Mukherjee has nominated Actress and BJP leader Roopa Ganguly (mythological character Draupadi in the series Mahabharat) to Rajaya Sabha.
- Roopa Ganguly has been nominated on a seat vacated by cricketer turned politician Navjot Singh Sidhu, who resigned in July this year.
- She has also done several Bengali and Hindi films including Bahar Ane Tak and Saugandh.
5. Union Cabinet approves MoU between India and AARDO:
- The Union Cabinet gave its approval to sign Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and African Asian Rural Development Organization (AARDO) for capacity building programmes in the field of rural development.
- The MoU is being signed under which capacity building programmes for AARDO member countries for the triennium 2015 – 2017.
- The AARDO is an autonomous inter-Governmental organization with its headquarters in New Delhi. It was established in 1962.
6. New frog species named Litoria Bella discovered in Australia:
- A new frog species named Cape York graceful tree frog, scientifically known as Litoria Bella, was discovered recently in Australia’s largest virgin forest in Queensland.
- The newly discovered species closely resembles the Graceful tree frog (Litoria Gracilenta).
7. New Solar Powered Guard Van of Goods Train flagged off:
- Railways Minister Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu flags off the newly manufactured Guard Van of Goods (Freight) Train, in New Delhi.
- The newly manufactured Guard Van of Goods Train has been equipped for the first time with Solar powered Light, Fan, Mobile Charging Point along with the facility of Zero discharge Bio Toilet.
8. Prakash Javadekar inaugurates Shatabdi Krishi Bhawan, Green Building in BHU:
- Union Minister for Human Resource Development Prakash Javadekar has inaugurated Shatabdi Krishi Bhawan and a Green Building in Banaras Hindu University .
- The Shatabdi Krishi Bhawan under the Institute of Agricultural Sciences, BHU has been so named to commemorate the Centenary year of University.
- The University’s first green building under the Institute of Environment and Sustainable Development is dedicated to Pandit Madan Mohan Malviya and his vision of green campus.
9. Aadhaar card now mandatory to get cooking gas subsidy:
- The Union government has made Aadhaar card mandatory for availing cooking gas (LPG) subsidies.
- It has given two months grace period for citizens to get the unique identification number.
- Govt currently gives 12 cylinders (14.2-kg) each at subsidised rates per household in a year.
- The subsidy on every cylinder is transferred in advance directly into bank accounts of individuals, who then buy the cooking fuel at market rates.
10. J&K Bank appoints Parvez Ahmed as Chairman & CEO:
- Jammu and Kashmir Bank appointed Parvez Ahmed as Chairman and CEO of the bank.
- He has been appointed Chairman for a period of three years, Jammu and Kashmir Bank
- He replaces Mustaq Ahmad, who completed his term on October 5.
11. Nitin Gadkari launches Indian Bridge Management System:
- Union Minister of Road Transport & Highways and Shipping Nitin Gadkari has launched the Indian Bridge Management System(IBMS).
- It aimed at ensuring safety of bridges in the country.
- IBMS is being developed to create an inventory of all bridges in the country and rate their structural condition so that timely repair and rehabilitation work can be carried out based on the criticality of the structure.