1. October 15: World Student Day
- October 15th, Dr. Abdul Kalam's birthday is observed as World Student Day by United Nations Organization annually.
- He was highly respected as a scientist and 11th President of India.
2. October 15: International Day of Rural Women:
- The International Day of Rural Women is observed across the world on 15 October.
- The theme for the day for the year 2016 is Climate is changing. Food and agriculture must too.
3. BRICS-BIMSTEC outreach summit begin in Goa:
- India is hosting the eighth BRICS Summit in Goa where heads of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa will sit across from each-other to discuss matters of mutual interest and global challenges.
- Narendra Modi will chair the BIMSTEC Meeting on Sunday evening, followed by a meeting of BRICS and BIMSTEC leaders.
- BIMSTEC comprises of Bangladesh, Bhutan, Nepal, India, Sri Lanka, Myanmar and Thailand.
4. Bangladesh, China agree to elevate their ties to strategic partnership:
- Bangladesh and China have agreed to elevate their bilateral relations to “strategic partnership”.
- It was announced during Chinese President Xi Jinping’s visit Bangladesh.
- The two countries also have agreed to jointly advance China’s One belt and road (OBOR) initiative.
- Both countries signed of 26 agreements on different sectors.
5. PM inaugurates 'Shaurya Smarak' war memorial in Bhopal:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated 'Shaurya Smarak', the war memorial in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh.
- The Shourya Smarak is spread over an area of 12.67 acre land and the tales of their bravery are on display at this memorial.
6. Virat Kohli appointed as the brand ambassador of Valvoline:
- Valvoline Cummins India has signed up India Test captain Virat Kohli as its ambassador.
- As part of the association, Kohli will be the face of Valvoline engine oils and lubricants range.
- Valvoline is the world’s first and most enduring lubricant brand.
7. Retail inflation drops one year low of 4.31% in September:
- The Retail inflation dropped to a 13-month low of 4.31% in September this year mainly due to a fall in vegetable prices.
- Retail inflation measured by the Consumer Price Index had stood at 5.05% in August this year and 4.41 % in September last year.
- Food inflation declined to 3.88% in September from 5.91% in August.
- Retail inflation in urban areas fell to 3.64% in September and in the rural area it dropped to 4.96%.
8. Ajay Kumar Bhalla appointed new DGFT:
- Senior IAS officer Ajay Kumar Bhalla was appointed as the Director General of Foreign Trade (DGFT).
- He has been appointed to the post in place of Anup Wadhawan, who has been appointed as additional secretary in the commerce ministry.
9. Safe Motherhood Week starts in Uttar Pradesh:
- In Uttar Pradesh, the Safe Motherhood Week is being observed from 14 October to 21 October 2016.
- The main aim of the 'Safe Motherhood Week' is to decrease the 'Mother Mortality Rate' (MMR) and 'Infant Mortality Rate' (IMR).
10. Mark Webber announces retirement from racing:
- The Formula-F1 driver from Australia Mark Webber (40-years) will retire from professional racing at the end of this year in Bahrai.
- He will become a Porsche ‘special representative’ at global events and work as a consultant on motorsport programmes.
- Webber won the World Endurance Championship (WEC) title in 2015.
11. Mizoram's Pachuau declared India's oldest working journalist:
- The Mizoram government and the Mizoram Journalists' Association declared Lalbiakthanga Pachuau as the "oldest working journalist in the country".
- The 90-year-old former soldier is the editor of 'Zoram Tlangau', a Mizo daily, started by him in 1970.