- Red Bull driver Daniel Ricciardo won the 2016 Malaysia Grand Prix .
- This was Ricciardo's first win in Malaysia and fourth in total
1 Daniel Ricciardo (Aus) Red Bull
2 Max Verstappen (Ned) Red Bull
3 Nico Rosberg (Ger) Mercedes
2. International day for non violence is being observed on 2nd October:
- The International Day of Non-Violence is marked on 2 October, the birthday of Mahatma Gandhi, leader of the Indian independence movement and pioneer of the philosophy and strategy of non-violence.
- According to General Assembly resolution A/RES/61/271 of 15 June 2007, which established the commemoration, the International Day is an occasion to "disseminate the message of non-violence, including through education and public awareness".
3. Nation pays homage to Mahatma Gandhi & Lal Bahadur Shastri on their birth anniversary:
- The nation pays homage to Father of the Nation, Mahatma Gandhi on his 147th birth anniversary on 02nd October, 2016.
- The nation also remembers the former PM Lal Bahadur Shastri on his birth anniversary.
- He was born in 02nd October 1904, he joined the Indian independence movement in the 1920s and held several important portfolios in the Jawaharlal Nehru's government including Railways and as Home Minister.
4. Tamil Nadu tops list of endemic flowering plants:
- According to the recent publication released by the Botanical Survey of India (BSI), Tamil Nadu accounts for the highest number flowering plants in the country.
- The publication titled Endemic Vascular Plants of India also revealed that almost one of every four species of flowering plants found in India are endemic to the country.
- Tamil Nadu accounts for the highest number of species with 410, followed by Kerala with 357 and Maharashtra with 278.
- Of the 18,259 flowering plants reported in the country, 4,303 (over 23 per cent) are found only in India, as per scientific data in a recently released book, Endemic Vascular Plants of India.
5. Bihar once again dry state:
- A new prohibition law, more stringent than the previous one, came into force from today declaring Bihar a dry state afresh.
- The government notified the Bihar Prohibition and Excise Act 2016, to ensure that the ban on sale and consumption of alcohol including Indian Made Foreign Liquor (IMFL) as well spiced and domestic liquor continued in the State.
6. Gangtok conferred Cleanest Tourist Destination honour:
- At a time when the Swachh Bharat Mission is in full swing, the Union Ministry of Tourism has conferred the Cleanest Tourist Destination on the Sikkim capital (Gangtok).
- Chandigarh and Mysore were felicitated for 'Clean Cities in million plus population category' and Gangtok for 'Cleanest Tourism Destination'.
7. PM Narendra Modi inaugurates India Sanitation conference in New Delhi:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated India Sanitation conference (INDOSAN) in New Delhi ahead of second anniversary of Swachh Bharat Mission.
- PM Modi in his inaugural speech highlighted need of behavioural change to achieve the dream of Swachch Bharat and also need to ensure a dirt free India like Mahatma Gandhi’s Satyagraha which was instrumental for the end of colonialism.
- INDOSAN is envisaged as an annual national event, that seeks to brings together all stakeholders working in sanitation.
8. Arunachal CM flags off all-women Mt Gorichen expedition:
- Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu flagged off an all-women Mt Gorichen expedition in Itanagar.
- This will be the first all women team attempting to summit the second highest peak of the state, which is considered as a technical peak and only seasoned climbers can make it to the top (6,488 m).
9. BRICS Nations adopt New Delhi Declaration of Education:
- The BRICS countries (Brazil, Russia, China, India and South Africa) on 30 September 2016 adopted the New Delhi Declaration of Education.
- The nations pledged to develop an enabling framework to promote research cooperation and knowledge transfer among these countries in collaboration with other BRICS initiatives.
10. Government decides to raise EPFO investment in ETF:
- The Government has decided to raise the Employees Provident Fund ( EPF) investment in Exchange Traded Funds (ETF) from present 5% to 10%.
- Shri Bandaru Dattatreya, the Minister of State (IC) for Labour and Employment announced that the decision has been taken considering the good returns in ETF.
11. Sports Sector Gets the Infrastructure Status:
- The Union Finance Ministry has decided that sports infrastructure will be included under the harmonised master list of infrastructure sub-sectors.
- Earlier, the Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports Affairs had moved the proposal for inclusion of sports in the list to address the issue of deficit of sports infrastructure in the country.
12. Kieren Dsouza becomes the first Indian to complete World's toughest race, Spartathlon:
- Bengaluru's Kieren Dsouza has become the first Indian to complete the Spartathlon, widely described as the "world's toughest race".
- The 23-year old completed the 246.6 km distance in the 2016 edition, in 33 hours, one minute and 38 seconds. The Spartathlon is an annual run between Athens and Sparta in Greece, with a reported success rate of 50%.