1. Rashtriya Ekta Diwas: 31st October
- Rashtriya Ekta Diwas (National Unity Day) is observed across India on 31 October to commemorate birth anniversary of Independent India’s first Deputy Prime Minister Sardar Vallabhai Patel.
- Observance of the day provides an opportunity to re-affirm inherent strength and resilience of our nation to withstand actual and potential threats to unity, integrity and security of our country.
- The 2016 Theme is “Integration of India”.
- He was born on 31 October, 1875 at Karamsand, Gujarat. He is known as the Iron Man of India or Bismarck of India.
2. 31st October: World Cities Day
- The World is observing Cities Day with the commitment to work together for a planned and sustainable urban life in the wake of rapid growth of population and problems.
- This year, the United Nations (UN) has selected the theme “Inclusive Cities, Shared Development” to highlight the important role of urbanization as a source of global development and social inclusion.
3. Andhra Pradesh, Telangana top ease of doing business 2016:
- Andhra Pradesh and Telengana have jointly topped the 2016 all-India State/Union Territory-wise Ease of Doing Business rankings, while last-year's topper Gujarat slipped to the third spot.
- The results are based on an online dashboard created by the DIPP that tracks implementation in real time.
- The top ten ranks in 2016 included Andhra Pradesh & Telengana (98.78 per cent each implementation rate), followed by Gujarat (98.21 per cent), Chhattisgarh (97.32 per cent), Madhya Pradesh (97.01 per cent), Haryana (96.95 per cent), Jharkhand (96.57 per cent), Rajasthan (96.43 per cent), Uttarakhand (96.13 per cent) and Maharashtra (92.86 per cent).
4. World Bank appoints Kristalina Georgieva as chief executive:
- The Former head of EU humanitarian affairs and vice-president of the European commission Kristalina Georgieva has been appointed the chief executive of the World Bank.
- Recently, she lost out in the race to become United Nations (UN) secretary general.
- Georgieva is currently European commission vice-president for budget and human resource.
5. First meeting of NCTF held in New Delhi:
- The first meeting of National Committee on Trade Facilitation (NCTF) was held in New Delhi to discuss ways for developing roadmap for implementation of WTOs trade facilitation agreement.
- It was headed by Cabinet Secretary P K Sinha and was attended by all 24 members along with secretaries of various ministries and departments like Home, Shipping, Civil Aviation.
6. Vigilance Awareness Week being observed from today:
- Vigilance Awareness Week is being observed from today across the country to promote probity in public life and achieve a corruption-free society.
- The theme of the week this year is “Public participation in promoting integrity and eradicating Corruption”.
- The Commission will visit schools, colleges and industry bodies and other institutions to seek support for creating awareness against the corruptions.
- The week is observed every year from 31st October, the birthday Anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
7. 47th international film festival of India to be held in Goa:
- The 47th International Film Festival of India will be held in Goa from 20th-28th November.
- It will screen 26 feature films, including Sultan , Airlift and 21 non-feature films.
- Award-winning films on ‘Swachh Bharat Abhiyan‘ will also be screened during the festival.
- Film Festival being held jointly by the Goa Government, Information and Broadcasting Ministry and Directorate of Film Festivals.
8. EU, Canada sign CETA:
- The European Union (EU) and Canada have signed Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA), a landmark trade deal.
- The deal was signed by Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and top European Union officials in Brussels, Belgium. Now all 28 European Union states are required to endorse it.
- CETA is a free-trade agreement (FTA) between Canada and the EC. It aims to revoke roughly 9,000 tariffs, covering many industrial goods and agricultural and food items.
9. Michel Aoun set to be elected Lebanon’s president:
- Lebanon’s parliament has elected Michel Aoun as president, ending a political stand-off that has left the post empty for more than two years.
- Mr Aoun is backed by the powerful Shia Islamist group, Hezbollah.
- His candidacy was blocked by the rival, Sunni-dominated Future Movement until a deal was struck earlier this month.