1. India wins 2016 Men's Hockey Asian Champions Trophy:
- India won the gold medal in the Asian Champions Trophy 2016 by beating Pakistan 3-2 in the final in Malaysia on Sunday.
- Malaysia won the bronze medal by beating South Korea in a play-off match.
2. UN lights up for Diwali for the first time:
- Diwali was celebrated for the first time at the United Nations, with the world body's imposing headquarters here lit up especially on the occasion of the Indian festival of lights.
- The facade of the UN headquarters was lit in bright hues and the words 'Happy Diwali', along with the image of a traditional 'diya', projected onto the building.
3. Himachal Pradesh declared India’s second Open Defecation Free State:
- The State of Himachal Pradesh was officially declared Open Defecation Free (ODF).
- Every individual household in the state has functional toilet under the ‘Swachh Bharat Mission’.
- With this, Himachal Pradesh becomes the second State in the country after Sikkim to achieve the feat.
- Himachal Pradesh has successfully achieved total rural sanitation coverage of 100% in the state. Besides, all 12 districts in state were declared as well as verified as ODF.
- This status will further entitle Himachal Pradesh to receive World Bank funding under Rs 9,000 crore project to sustain sanitation campaign.
4. India ranks poorly in Commonwealth youth index:
- India has ranked very poorly at 133 in a new Global Youth Development Index compiled by the Commonwealth Secretariat on the countries' prospects for young people in employment, education, health, civic and political spheres.
- India ranked 133rd in the index covering 183 nations, below neighbouring countries like Nepal (77), Bhutan (69) and Sri Lanka (31) and trailing behind the South Asian average.
- The top 5 countries on the index are largely from Europe - Germany (1), Denmark (2), Switzerland (4), United Kingdom (5).
5. DoPT launches Employees Online Application:
- The Department of Personnel & Training (DoPT) under the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions has launched Employees Online (EO) App.
- The mobile application aims to update on Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) appointments and postings on real time basis and to bring transparency.
- The EO App has been developed keeping in mind the spirit of maximum Governance, minimum Government and meet the need of the hour to bring high-tech systems in the governance.
6. Bangladesh introduces temporary ban on catching Hilsa Fish:
- Bangladesh has arrested more than 900 fishermen and deployed the army to patrol its waterways after introducing a temporary ban on catching hilsa in an effort to save the hugely popular fish.
- 60 % of the world's hilsa are caught in Bangladesh, but indiscriminate fishing has depleted much of the stock, driving up prices and putting the fish beyond the reach of the poor.