1. 11 October: International Day of the Girl Child:
- The 2016 International Day of the Girl Child (IDGC) was observed across the world on 11 October 2016 with the theme Girls' Progress = Goals' Progress: What Counts for Girls.
- On December 19, 2011, United Nations General Assembly adopted Resolution 66/170 to declare October 11 as the International Day of the Girl Child, to recognize girls’ rights and the unique challenges girls face around the world.
2. Russia & Turkey agree to intensify military, intelligence contacts:
- The Russian and Turkish leaders have agreed to intensify military and intelligence contacts after a meeting in Istanbul, Turkey.
- The two countries have also signed a deal to construct two pipelines to send Russian gas under the Black Sea to Turkey.
- Ties were strained after Turkish forces downed a Russian war plane in November 2015.
3. Russia vetoes UN resolution to stop bombing of Aleppo:
- Russia vetoed a UN Security Council draft resolution demanding an end to the bombing of Aleppo city in Syria.
- The draft text proposed by France and Spain won 11 votes in favor, Russia and Venezuela voted against the resolution, while China and Angola abstained.
- It was the fifth time that Moscow used its veto to block the UN action to end the five year war in Syria.
4. Centre to invest Rs 15,000 cr to expand Panipat Refinery:
- The central government will invest Rs 15,000 crore to increase the capacity of Panipat refinery from existing 15 million tonnes (MT) to 25 MT to create huge employment opportunities.
- An ethanol plant would be set up at a cost of Rs 500 crore by the Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) in Panipat to generate alternative fuel from agricultural residue which would boost agriculture sector.
5. India-Indonesia Bilateral Maritime Exercise Commenced at Belawan, Indonesia:
- India and Indonesia commenced their second coordinated patrol and bilateral maritime exercise in the Andaman Sea.
- Indian Naval Ship Karmuk, an indigenously built missile warship, based under the Andaman and Nicobar Command,along with a Dornier Maritime Patrol Aircraft, participated in the 28th India-Indonesia Coordinated Patrol and Second Bilateral Maritime Exercise, scheduled in the Andaman Sea.
6. Standard Chartered Bank forms tie-up with Uber:
- Foreign lender Standard Chartered Bank has announced a tie-up with Uber under which its credit cardholders, across six countries, will get a cash-back of up to 25 per cent for hailing cabs from the app.
- In India, the cardholders will get a 20 per cent cash-back on all Uber rides, subject to a cash—back cap of Rs. 600 per month.
7. Scientists have discovered new culprits who contribute to climate change:
- Scientists have discovered two new clusters of microorganisms contributing to climate change, the second major breakthrough in 12 months towards mapping the tree of life.
- The previously unknown group of methane-metabolising micro-organisms appeared to be ancient and widespread in nature, said Gene Tyson from the University of Queensland in Australia.
8. Aishwarya Rai Bachchan bagged Outstanding Celebrity Woman of the Year award:
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan recently received the ‘Outstanding Celebrity Woman of the Year’ award while featuring among Outlook Business’ 19 outstanding women.
- The former Miss World looked gorgeous on the cover of the issue, 19 women achievers shared their successful, entrepreneurial journey in a candid conversation with Outlook Business.
9. World's first Cybathlon Championship for Athletes with Disabilities aka Bionic Olympics:
- The world's first Cybathlon Championship for Athletes with Disabilities organised by the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology ETH Zurich at the SWISS Arena in Kloten, canton Zurich.