1. Sunil Bharti Mittal elected as GSMA Chairman:
- Founder and Chairman of Bharti Enterprises Sunil Mittal has been elected as GSMA (Global System Mobile Association) Chairman for a two-year period from January 2017.
- GSMA Chairman Jon Fredrik Baksaas will step down from the Board at the end of the year.
- Mittal becomes the first Indian to be elected as GSMA Chairman.
- GSMA represents nearly 800 of the world’s mobile operators, as well as more than 300 companies in the broader mobile ecosystem.
2. Union Government launches Biotech-KISAN and Cattle Genomics to empower farmers:
- The Union Ministry of Science and Technology has launched two new schemes Biotech-KISAN and Cattle Genomics in order to apply science to boost rural economy.
- Its purpose is to connect farmers, scientist and science institution across country. Thus farmers seek to empower farmers, especially women farmers.
3. Haryana to observe 2017 as Garib Kalyan Varsh:
- Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal has announced that 2017 observe as the “Garib Kalyan Varsh”.
- During this period of Garib Kalyan Varsh, the government would lay emphasis on the welfare of poor people and generate employment opportunities for the youth.
4. Karnal Singh appointed as chief of Enforcement Directorate:
- Senior IPS officer of Union territories cadre Karnal Singh (1984-batch) has appointed as the chief of Enforcement Directorate(ED).
- The Appointments Committee of Cabinet has approved the appointment of Singh as ED till 31 August 2017 (superannuation date).
- The Directorate General of Economic Enforcement is a law enforcement agency and economic intelligence agency responsible for enforcing economic laws and fighting economic crime in India.
5. Union Government constitutes Munialappa Committee to monitor bird flu situation:
- The Union Agricultural Ministry has constituted a High-Level Committee to monitor the bird flu situation and help state governments take steps to contain the disease.
- The High-Level Committee will be headed by Joint Commissioner in the Department of Animal Husbandry, Dairy and Fisheries (DADF) Munialappa.
- The committee will have representatives from the Union Ministry of Health, Union Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change (MoEFCC), Department of Agriculture Research and Extension (DARE) and the Delhi Government.
6. Justice Reddy committee on OROP submits report:
- Today, the Judicial committee on One Rank One Pension (OROP) submitted its report to the Defence Minister Shri Manohar Parrikar.
- Earlier, the Central Government had appointed the committee under the Chairmanship of retired Justice L Narasimha Reddy to look into the anomalies, if any, arising out of the implementation of OROP.
- The judicial committee had held hearings at around 20 cities/towns across the country and interacted with cross sections of Ex-Servicemen as well as their associations.
7. India, New Zealand ink three agreements including avoidance of double taxation:
- India and New Zealand signed three agreements in the areas of double taxation avoidance (DTA), sports and food security to carry forward the ties between both sides.
- The agreements were signed in the presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his New Zealand counterpart John Key after the delegation-level talks in New Delhi.
- Both countries have reached an understanding on further cooperation on cyber security, counter-terrorism, customs, education and food safety
8. India, South Korea sign revised Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement:
- India and South Korea on 26 October 2016 signed a revised Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA) for the avoidance of double taxation and the prevention of fiscal evasion with respect to taxes on income.
- The Provisions of the new DTAA will have effect in India in respect of income derived in fiscal years beginning on or after 1 April 2017.
- The earlier Double Taxation Avoidance Convention between India and Korea was signed on 19 July 1985 and was notified on 26 September 1986.
9. Ajay M. Gondane appointed as High Commissioner to Australia:
- Additional Secretary (Political) in the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) Dr. Ajay M. Gondane (Indian Foreign Service-1985 Batch) has been appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to Australia.
- Dr. Gondane has previously served as High Commissioner to Papua New Guinea and as Deputy Consul General of India in New York.
10. Life expectancy highest in Jammu and Kashmir: RGI Data
- According to the data given by the Registrar General of India (RGI), Jammu and Kashmir has the highest life expectancy (i.e. post-60 life expectancy), except life expectancy at birth.
- With this, Jammu and Kashmir has surpassed Kerala which used to be the leader in life expectancy in almost all categories of age till 2010.
- RGI’s Sample Registration System (SRS) had published state level life expectancy data prepared following surveys done between 2010 and 2014.
11. Women employees can now file sexual harassment complaints online:
- The women employees of the Central government will soon be able to file sexual harassment complaints online.
- Any woman employee of the government can file a complaint directly to the Ministry of Women and Child Development.
- An inter-ministerial committee will be constituted to review the status of the complaints.
- The forum will ensure that all Internal Complaints Committee heads are imparted training on how to resolve such complaints.
12. Punjab Directorate wins NCC National Games:
- Punjab Directorate won the 2016 National Cadet Corp (NCC) National Games.
- Subhash Bhamre, Minister of State for Defence, presented trophies to the winners at the closing ceremony at Delhi Cantonment.
- The NCC Games aim to provide the talented sportsmen among the cadet exposure of a major sporting event while preparing them with the requisite matching temperament towards furthering their sporting careers.