1. International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer observed today:
- The 2016 International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer was observed across the world on 16 September 2016.
- The theme for the year 2016 is Ozone and climate: Restored by a world united.
2. Indian-American Abraham Verghese to receive National Humanities Medal:
- Indian-American physician-author Abraham Verghese (61-year) whose work has emphasised empathy in medicine has been selected for the prestigious National Humanities Medal 2015.
- US President Barack Obama will bestow the honour upon Verghese along with 11 others recipient’s in Washington on 21st September 2016.
- Abraham Verghese is a professor of medicine at the Stanford School of Medicine.
3. Dinesh Bharadia wins 2016 Marconi Society Paul Baran Young Scholar Award:
- India-born researcher Dinesh Bharadia was chosen for the prestigious Marconi Society Paul Baran Young Scholar Award.
- Bharadia was chosen for his contribution to send and receive radio (wireless) signals, including mobile telephony and data on the same channel.
4. Tourism Ministry approves Rs. 500 Crore for integrated development of tourism in J&K:
- Tourism Ministry has approved Rs. 500 Crore as part of development package of Prime Minister Reconstruction Plan for integrated development of tourism in Jammu and Kashmir (J&K).
- New projects include integrated development of tourist facilities at Mantalai – Sudhmahadev – Patnitop Circuit ,Baramulla-Kupwara-Leh circuit, Rajouri – Bafliyaz – Shopian – Pulwama Circuit and Anantnag-Kishtwar- Pahalgam – Daksum – Ranjit Sagar Dam Circuit.
- Rs. 100 crore have been earmarked for each of the four projects and 100 crore rupees for integrated development of tourist facilities in lieu of damaged assets in the floods.
5. US sign 38 billion dollars defence deal with Israel:
- United States has signed a 38 billion dollars Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Israel to provide the country with military assistance over a 10-year period.
- The MoU will be valid from 2019 through 2028.
- This defence deal is the largest such agreement the US has ever had with any country.
6. India, Sri Lanka sign MoU to support fishermen in Hambantota district:
- India and Sri Lanka signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to support livelihood of the fishing and farming communities in Hambantota district of Sri Lanka.
7. Nadia Murad named UN Goodwill Ambassador:
- Nadia Murad, a former ISIS captive, has been named the UN’s new Goodwill Ambassador for the Dignity of Survivors of Human Trafficking.
- Nadia Murad, 23, a member of the Yazidi community was kidnapped by Islamic State (ISIS) forces when they raided her village over two years ago.
8. EU leaders to meet in Slovakia to chart post-Brexit future:
- European Union (EU) leaders will meet in Bratislava, Slovakia to chart their post-Brexit future.
- They are focusing on defence cooperation and border security in a bid to heal deep divisions in particular over migration.
- The 27 leaders will hold a special summit to launch a road-map for the post-Brexit European Union.
9. Naropa Festival begins in Ladakh:
- The Naropa festival, which is held every 12 years, began today at the 17th century Hemis Monastery in Ladakh.
- The main events at the week-long Naropa festival, a celebration of the 1,000th birth anniversary of Saint Naropa.
10. Commerce & Industry Ministry sets up task force on Innovation:
- Today, Commerce and Industry Ministry has set up an eight-member task force on Innovation.
- The Team comprises of government officials and experts from private organisations.
- The task force will assess India’s position as an innovative country and suggest measures to enhance the innovation ecosystem in India.
- Innovation is widely recognized as a central driver of economic growth and development.
11. Vijaya Bank gets award:
- Vijaya Bank has bagged the second prize under Rajbhasha Kirti Puraskar (Region C) for the year 2015-16.
- The prize was accepted by Kishore Sansi, Managing Director & CEO Vijaya Bank, from President Pranab Mukherjee at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- Vijaya Bank is a fastest growing Public Sector Bank with its Corporate Office in Bangalore, Karnataka, India.
12. Reliance Communications and Aircel to be merged:
- Reliance Communications (RCom) board has approved the company’s merger with Aircel, is one of the biggest deals in the telecom space in recent times.
- The company will be managed by an independent professional team under the supervision of the Board.
13. Centre bans sharing of individual’s Aadhaar details publicly:
- According to Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) CEO Ajay Bhushan Pandey Aadhaar number of an individual will not be allowed to publish or post the information publicly.
- Under the Aadhaar Act,Agencies will have to ensure security and confidentiality of the 12-digit resident identification number.
- Any violation of the Aadhaar Act will constitute an offence and is punishable under the Act.