1. Jyoti Prasad Rajkhowa removed as Arunachal Pradesh governor:
- Governor of Arunachal Pradesh Jyoti Prasad Rajkhowa has been removed from the post of Arunachal Pradesh Governor.
- President Pranab Mukherjee has directed that Rajkhowa has to put his papers from the post of Governor of Arunachal Pradesh.
- Rajkhowa (IAS officer-1968 batch) had retired as chief secretary of Assam before being appointed as governor.
- Governor of Meghalaya V. Shanmuganathan has been given the charge of Arunachal Pradesh.
2. Haryana Government Announces Free Bus Rides For Girl Students:
- Haryana government announced free bus rides for school girl students in the state.
- It has also issued a stern order to drivers and conductors, who misbehave with the students or not allow them to board the vehicles.
- Free travel facility has also been extended to girl students on the state roadways buses.
3. Punjab govt. abolishes stamp duty of 2% levied on immovable property:
- The Punjab Cabinet under the chairmanship of Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal has decided to abolish the stamp duty of 2% levied on the immovable property while awarding the power of attorney.
- The stamp duty would be Rs. 1000 on the General Power of Attorney and Rs. 500 on Special Power of Attorney,irrespective of the market value.
- The decision will be a major relief for people aspiring to buy their own houses.
4. Union Cabinet approves establishment of HEFA:
- The Union Cabinet has approved to create the Higher Education Financing Agency (HEFA) to give a major push for the creation of high-quality infrastructure in premier educational institutions.
- The HEFA will be jointly promoted by the Union Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) and identified Promoter with an authorised capital of Rs. 2,000 crore and the government equity would be Rs.1,000 crore.
5. World’s longest bullet train network established in China:
- World’s longest bullet train network length of 2000kms established by China Railway. Construction of the line started in December 2012.
- The line has 9 stations and trains run at a speed of up to 300 kph.
- China is conducting feasibility study to build the bullet train track between Chennai and New Delhi.
6. AIFF-SAI launch online portal for Global Scouting Programme:
- The All IndiaFootball Federation (AIFF) in collaboration with SportsAuthority of India (SAI) has jointly launched an online portal for its Global Scouting Programme, which will conduct off-field trials for NRI boy.
- The applicant has to upload a two-minute playing video on the site.
- It will allow Indian players who hold valid Indian passport but are residing overseas to provide their profile electronically and directly to the scouts of India FIFA under-17 world cup team.
7. Wadhwa Group ties-up with Snapdeal:
- Realty player Wadhwa Group has tied-up with e-commerce platform Sanpdeal to make its properties accessible to customers online.
- With this tie-up, the Wadhwa Group has stepped into the e-commerce space, and is now showcasing their project.
8. Kerala CM inaugurates Onam celebrations in state:
- Chief Minister of Kerala Pinarayi Vijayan has inaugurated the “Onam” (week-long) celebrations in Thiruvananthapuram (Kerala).
- Noted Singer KJ Yesudas (50 years in the field of music) was the chief guest at the inaugural session.
- A Variety of cultural programmes will be held at 30 different venues in the capital city.
- Onam is the biggest festival celebrated in Kerala, India.
9. ‘Bhattacharya, Kochhar among most powerful women outside US’:
- India’s top women bankers, SBI chief Arundhati Bhattacharya, ICICI head Chanda Kochhar and Axis Bank CEO Shikha Sharma, are among the 50 most powerful women based outside the US, according to a list by Fortune, which is topped by Banco Santander’s boss Ana Bot.
- Bhattacharya, is ranked second on the list, while Kochhar comes in at the fifth spot and Sharma in the 19th position in Fortune’s ‘50 Most Powerful Women International’ list, which has ranked the women based outside the US.
10. Retail inflation eases to 5-month low of 5.05% in August:
- Retail inflation eased to a five-month low of 5.05% in August this year due to sharp fall in food inflation as per data released by the Central Statistics Office (CSO).
- Retail inflation had stood at 6.07 % in July this year and 3.74% in August last year.
- Inflation in vegetables was just 1.02% in August,overall retail food inflation in August slipped to 5.91%.
- Retail inflation in cereals and products was 4.11% in August.
11. Deepa Malik first Indian woman to win Paralympics medal:
- Deepa Malik (45-year) wheelchair-bound adrenaline junkie from Haryana has created history by winning the silver medal in Women’s shotput at Rio Paralympics 2016,Brazil.
- She won the silver medal with a throw of 4.61 m in the shot put F-53 event.
- Malik has become the first Indian woman to win a medal at the Paralympics games.
India at the 2016 Summer Paralympics:
Mariyappan Thangavelu (Athletics) Men’s High Jump F42- Gold
Deepa Malik (Athletics) Women’s Shot put F53- Silver
Varun Singh Bhati (Athletics) Men’s High Jump F42- Bronze
12. Sushmita wins bronze at World Martial Arts Masterships:
- Indian kickboxer Sushmita Rai has won the Bronze medal at the World Martial Arts Masterships 2016, at Cheongju in South Korea.
- She was among the 12 member team who were representing India in the International event.
- The competition, which is considered by many as the equivalent of Olympics for the martial arts, attended by 2,073 participants from 87 countries.
13. Kiwi blade runner breaks Oscar Pistorius’ record:
- New Zealand sprinter Liam Malone (22-year) has broken the men’s 200-metre T44 Paralympic Games.
- He won gold in the event, registered a timing of 21.06 seconds, beating South Africa’s Pistorius’ record by 0.24 seconds.
- This was Malone’s second Paralympic medal after having won the silver medal in the 100-metre sprint.