1. Javelin thrower Devendra Jhajharia wins gold at Rio Paralympics:
- Javelin thrower Devendra Jhajharia became the first Indian to clinch two gold medals at the Paralympics. He broke his own world record to clinch the medals at the Rio Games.
- Jhajharia, who won his previous gold in the 2004 Athens Games, bettered his own world record to finish on top in the men’s F46 event.
- Jhajharia’s previous best was 62.15 metres, which he had achieved in the 2004 Games. In the 2016 Rio Paralympics, he improved the mark with an attempt of 63.97 metres.
2. 14 September (National Hindi Divas):
- National Hindi Divas (Hindi Day) was observed across India on 14 September 2016.
- The day was observed to promote the Matra Bhasha – the mother tongue of India and show its importance as a language in the country and the world at large.
- As a part of Hindi Diwas Samaroh, a special function named ‘Hindi Hain Hum’ was also organised at the PHD Chamber of Commerce in Delhi.
- Hindi Day is observed because on 14 September 1949, the Constituent Assembly of India adopted Hindi written in Devanagari script as the Official Language of the Union.
3. 3rd BRICS Urbanisation Forum Meet begins in Vishakhapatnam:
- The third edition of BRICS Urbanisation Forum Meet has started in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
- The three days conference was be inaugurated by Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu in the presence of Union Minister of Urban Development, M. Venkaiah Naidu.
4. 105-yr-old Kunwar Bai made 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan' mascot:
- 105-year-old Kunwar Bai, who was felicitated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi for building toilet by selling off her goats, has been chosen as the ‘Swachh Bharat Abhiyan’ mascot.
- Prime Minister Modi will felicitate Kunwar Bai at a function in the national capital to mark `Swachhta Diwas' on September 17.
5. Raman Singh launches 'Start Up Chhattisgarh' project:
- In line with the Centre's 'Start Up India' initiative, Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Raman Singh has launched the 'Start Up Chhattisgarh' programme to encourage entrepreneurs in the state.
- The government also announced the setting up of a dedicated startup centre.
6. Andhra Pradesh becomes 2nd state to achieve 100% electrification:
- Andhra Pradesh has become the 2nd state in the country after Gujarat to achieve 100% electrification of households.
- JM Financials published the report based on a national -level survey on electrification in various states.
7. Indian American scientist Ramesh Raskar wins US$500000 2016 Lemelson-MIT Prize:
- Indian American Ramesh Raskar won the 2016 Lemelson-MIT Prize.
- Raskar is the co-inventor of radical imaging solutions including femtophotography, an ultra-fast imaging system that can see around corners, low-cost eye-care solutions for the developing world and a camera that allows users to read pages of a book without opening the cover.
8. Anoop K Sharma new CMD of Shipping Corporation:
- Anoop Kumar Sharma has taken charge of the post of CMD, Shipping Corporation of India (SCI) with effect from September 12, 2016 for a period of three years.
- As the country’s premier shipping line, the SCI owns and operates around one-third of the Indian tonnage, and has operating interests in practically all areas of the shipping business, servicing both national and international trades.
9. Freecharge partners with Axis Bank, launches UPI payment:
- Digital payment platform FreeCharge in partnership with Axis Bank has launched Unified Payments Interface (UPI) that allows instant transactions from a smartphone using a virtual payment address (VPA).
- Customers will be able to create a virtual address on the Freecharge Android app and link it to their bank account to register on the UPI platform.
10. HP to Acquire Samsung Printer Business for $1.05 Billion:
- HP Inc. agreed to buy Samsung Electronics Co.’s printer business for $1.05 billion.
- A deal designed to bolster the Silicon Valley company’s offerings in the market for high-volume devices that handle printing and copying for office workgroups.
11. PayU acquires Citrus Pay for $130 million:
- Global online payment service provider PayU has acquired Indian payments technology player, Citrus Pay, for $130 million.
- Citrus Pay's managing director Amrish Rau will take charge of the merged entity, and as chief executive of PayU in India.
12. Mumbai-based writer wins FON South Asia Short Story Award:
- Writer Meghna Pant will be honoured with Kumaon Literary Festival's FON (Fellows of Nature) South AsiaShort Story Award in Nature writing in October for her short story "People of the Sun".
13. Indian Railways Men Hockey Team wins MCC Murugappa Gold Cup Hockey Tournament:
- Indian Railways Men Hockey Team won the MCC Murugappa Gold Cup Hockey Tournament 2016 in Chennai.
- It is for the first time that Indian Railways clinched the title.
- In the finals, Indian Railways Hockey Team defeated Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) Team by 2 - 1.
14. Aleksander Ceferin named new UEFA president:
- Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) elected Aleksander Ceferin to succeed Michel Platini as president today.
- The 48-year-old succeeds former France international Michel Platini, who resigned after being banned from all football activity last year.