1. World Heart Day is being observed on 29 September:
- World Heart Day is being observed annually on 29 September across the world for creating awareness among people about the heart problems.
- The objective of this day is to inform people around the world about the danger of heart disease and stroke.
- The theme of World Heart Day 2016 is "Light Your Heart, Empower Your Life".
2. WHO declares Region of the Americas as Measles free:
- The World Health Organisation (WHO) declared the Region of the Americas as Measles free.
- The declaration came during the 55th Directing Council of the Pan American Health Organization/World Health Organization (PAHO/WHO).
- With this, the Americas became the first in the world to have eliminated measles.
- Measles is a viral disease that can cause severe health problems, including pneumonia, blindness, brain swelling and even death.
3. Infosys launches e-commerce platform Skava Commerce:
- Infosys launched Skava Commerce, a modern, mobile-first and modular e-commerce platform that delivers engaging omni-channel experiences.
- Skava is a Silicon Valley based e-commerce startup which was acquired by Infosys.
- The platform can help brick-and-mortar retailers to quickly launch new offerings, improve conversion rates of traffic coming from digital channels without making large investments upfront.
4. Union Cabinet gives approves Varistha Pension Bima Yojana, 2003 & 2014:
- The Union Cabinet has given its ex-post facto approval for the Varishtha Pension Bima Yojana, VPBY 2003 and VPBY 2014.
- Approval has also been granted for the expenditure incurred on subsidy amount released to Life Insurance Corporation during the period 2003-04 to 2014-15 for VPBY 2003.
- VPBY 2003 was launched on 14th July, 2003 and was open till 14th August, 2015 and VPBY 2014 was launched on 14th August, 2014.
- Both the schemes are closed for future subscriptions. These schemes were implemented through Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC).
5. PMUY launched by Mehbooba Mufti at Srinagar:
- Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) was launched in the state of Jammu & Kashmir at Srinagar by Hon’ble Chief Minister of J&K Mehbooba Mufti.
- Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana was launched by the Prime Minister on 1st May 2016 at Ballia (Uttar Pradesh).
6. Cuba and Russia sign agreement on Peaceful Nuclear Cooperation:
- Rosatom, Russian state nuclear agency, and Cuba's Ministry of Science signed an agreement on cooperation in the field of peaceful atomic energy use.
- The deal was signed by Rosatom Deputy CEO for International Relations Nikolai Spassky and Cuban Deputy Science Minister Jose Fidel Santana.
7. Union Cabinet approves ratification of Paris Agreement:
- The Union Cabinet on 28 September 2016 approved the ratification of the Paris Agreement on Climate Change.
- Paris Agreement gives thrust to the global actions to address climate change and pertains to post-2020 climate actions.
- The Paris Agreement was adopted by 185 nations on 12 December 2015 and India signed the Paris Agreement in New York on 22 April 2016.
- A total of 191 countries have signed to the Paris Agreement so far.
8. Karnataka Bank inks distribution pact with Birla Sun Life AMC:
- Karnataka Bank Ltd has inked a memorandum of understanding with Birla Sun Life Asset Management Company for distribution of mutual fund products.
- LIC Mutual Fund Asset Management Company has also tied up with Karnataka Bank for distribution of its mutual fund products.
9. CCEA approves implementation of Project SAKSHAM for CBEC’s GST integration:
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) under the chairmanship of Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved ‘Project SAKSHAM’.
- The Project SAKSHAM is a New Indirect Tax Network (Systems Integration) of the Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC).
- The Project SAKSHAM will help in Integration of CBEC IT systems with the Goods and Services Tax Network (GSTN) and Extension of Indian Customs Single Window Interface for Facilitating Trade (SWIFT)
10. World Maritime Day is being observed on 29 September:
- World Maritime Day is observed across the world on 29 September.
- The World Maritime Day theme for 2016 is "Shipping: indispensable to the world".