1. World Tourism Day is being observed on 27th September:
- The World Tourism Day (WTD) is being observed annually on 27th September (since-1980) to raise awareness about the importance of tourism.
- The purpose of this day is to raise awareness on the role of tourism within the international community and to demonstrate how it affects social, cultural, political and economic values worldwide.
- The theme of this year is "Tourism for all – promoting universal accessibility".
- Today, Minister of State Culture and Tourism (Independent Charge) Mahesh Sharma has flagged off ‘Swachh Paryatan Run‘ and a special sightseeing tour of the monuments and museums in New Delhi for Divyang children.
2. Sachin, Amitabh in new Swachh Bharat campaign:
- The Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation has launched an ad campaign featuring Amitabh Bachchan and Sachin Tendulkar, for the Swachh Bharat Mission.
3. Google launches instant messaging mobile app Allo:
- Google has launched its latest mobile chat application “Allo” along with Google Assistant.
- Allo can be used in online conversations with friends.
- The messaging app is similar features to most other messaging applications available for Android and the iPhone.
4. Veerappa Moily-led parliamentary panel to examine merger of budgets:
- The parliamentary committee headed by the Congress MP M Veerappa Moily, has been constituted to review the all budgetary reforms.
- Besides the budget, the committee will also review the disinvestment policy, the banking sector in India, RBI’s emerging role and its framework.
5. Kerala travel mart begins at Kochi:
- Today, the 9th edition of the largest gathering of tourism stakeholders “Kerala Traval mart” begins at Kochi.
- The three-day event will have representatives from fifty-seven countries, including ten first time participants.
- The event will focus on Responsible Tourism and Muziris Spice Route.
- The venue will also host a series of seminars and discussion forums led by experts from the sector.
6. CSIR celebrates its platinum jubilee:
- India's largest civilian research and development agency Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, CSIR is celebrating its platinum jubilee.
- The platinum jubilee celebrations will be inaugurated by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi who is also the President of CSIR.
7. RBI approves Rs 26,000 crore CCL for paddy procurement in Punjab:
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has given approval to Rs. 26 thousand crore cash credit limit (CCL) for purchasing paddy in poll-bound Punjab.
- Paddy procurement in Punjab will commence from 1st October and the state is expecting procurement of 150 lakh tonne of the crop from the state.
- The state government will seek approval of the Centre by sending the RBI’s approval letter for the release of funds for the purchase of paddy.
8. O P Singh takes charge as DG of CISF:
- Senior IPS officer O P Singh (1983-batch UP cadre) has been appointed as the new Director-General (DG) of Central Industrial Security Force (CISF).
- Earlier, he served in the Special Protection Group (SPG), Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and as Additional Director-General (Airport Sector) in CISF.
9. Dr Vijay Kelkar is new President of Indian Statistical Institute:
- Former petroleum secretary Vijay Kelkar has been elected president of the Indian Statistical Institute (ISI).
- He succeeded former Reserve Bank of India (RBI) governor C Rangarajan.
- Indian Statistical Institute (ISI) is an academic institute of national importance as recognised by a 1959 act of the Indian parliament.
10. Govt removes Sushil Muhnot as CMD of Bank of Maharashtra:
- The Centre has removed Sushil Muhnot from the post of Chairman and Managing Director of Bank of Maharashtra.
- The head office of Bank of Maharashtra is in Pune.
10. Japan to host 2026 Asian Games:
- Japan will host the Asian Games in 2026 after Aichi prefecture and its capital Nagoya were confirmed as the venue for the multi-sport event by the Olympic Council of Asia (OCA).
- The Japanese bid was the only one put forward to host the continental gathering, which will be staged in Jakarta and Palembang, Indonesia in 2018 and the Chinese city of Hangzhou in 2022.
- Japan will host 2017 Asian Winter Games, 2019 Rugby World Cup and 2020 Summer Olympics.
11. Sathiyan Gnanasekaran wins Belgium Open:
- Indian table tennis player from Chennai Sathiyan Gnanasekaran (24-year) has become only the second to win an International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) event in Belgium.
- Gnanasekaran clinched the men’s singles title of the Belgium Open by defeating local player Nuytinck Cedric 4-0 in the final, 15-13, 11-6, 11-2, 17-15.
- Achanta Sharath Kamal is the first Indian to win an ITTF event in 2012.
12. India wins silver in Asian Beach Games:
- India’s Harish Banghel has won a silver in the men’s middleweight Muay Thai event in the 5th Asian Beach Games in Danang, Vietnam.
- Banghel lost to Zhang Yongkang of China in the final of the 71-75kg category.
- In the previous edition in Phuket (held in 2014) India had won two gold, a silver and seven bronze medals.
- Muay Thai is a combination of boxing and martial arts originated in Thailand.