1. Maharashtra Governor C V Rao sworn in as acting Governor of Tamil Nadu:
- Maharashtra Governor Chennamaneni Vidyasagar Rao has sworn in as the acting Governor of Tamil Nadu at a ceremony held in Raj Bhavan as the tenure of K. Rosaiah ended on 31 August.
- Rao has been administered oath of office by the Madras High Court’s Chief Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul at the Raj Bhavan, Chennai.
2. India and Vietnam sign 12 agreements to boost bilateral ties:
- India and Vietnam have signed 12 agreements for cooperation in areas like defence, IT, space, double taxation and sharing white shipping information, signaling a strong upward push in their strategic ties.
- The agreements were signed by the two sides officials in presence of PM Narendra Modi and his Vietnamese counterpart Nguyen Xuan Phuc.
- India will provide $500 million credit line for Vietnam for defence cooperation. India also offered a grant of $5 million to set up a software park in Vietnam.
- Modi is the fourth Indian Prime Minister to visit Vietnam during the past about 50 years.
3. India, Egypt sign agreement in area of Maritime Transport:
- India and Egypt has signed an agreement on Maritime Transport.
- The agreemnt would help the two nations to step-up co-operation on the seas not only in terms of maritime commerce but also in transit of naval vessels.
4. Dr. K K Aggarwal elected National President of IMA:
- Cardiologist Dr.K K Aggarwal has been elected as the National President of the Indian Medical Association (IMA) for the year 2016-17.
- Now, he is the Secretary General of the doctors association.
- The Indian Medical Association (IMA) is a national voluntary organization of Doctors of Modern Scientific System of Medicine in India(29 state/UT branches).
- IMA has over 2,53,000 doctors as its members through more than 1,650 active local branches spread across the country.
5. Majuli named world's largest river island:
- Majuli Island on the Brahmaputra in Assam was declared the largest river island in the world, toppling Marajo in Brazil, by Guinness World Records. The river island covers an area of around 880 sqkm.
- According to Guinness World Records, the island lost around one-third of its area in the last 30-40 years due to frequent flooding of the river.
6. Kerala appoints Sachin as brand ambassador for anti-liquor campaign:
- Legendary Cricketer Sachin Tendulkar has been appointed as the brand ambassador for anti- liquor and anti-drug campaign in the state.
- This was part of the government’s move to create awareness among people against alcoholism and drug in the state.
- Kerala will open up more de-addiction centers for the benefit of the addicted.
7. China ratifies Paris global climate agreement:
- China has ratified the Paris global climate agreement.
- China and the US are expected to announce ratification jointly before or at the weekend's G20 Hangzhou Summit.
- China is the world's largest emitter of harmful carbon emissions causing climate change.
8. Odisha govt launches Biju Kanya Ratna Yojana:
- Chief Minister of Odisha Naveen Patnaik has launched the Biju Kanya Ratna Yojana for the development of girls in three districts (Ganjam, Dhenkanal and Angul) of the state.
- The Objective of the Yojana to improve sex ratio at birth and child sex ratio.
- The scheme will ensure enrollment of girls in elementary education, tracking dropout girls from schools and creating a better environment for them.
9. World's first made-in-India leprosy vaccine out on pilot basis:
- The Indian Institute of Immunology in New Delhi has developed mycobacterium indicus pranii (MIP), an exclusive and completely domestic vaccine for leprosy.
- MIP, World's maiden leprosy vaccine, will be launched on trial basis within a few weeks.
- Leprosy affects around 1.25 lakhs people in India annually.
10. TVSN Prasad Committee submitted its report on use of Pallet Guns:
- TVSN Prasad committee has submitted its report to Home Secretary Rajiv Mehrishi.
- The committee was not in favor of completely removal of the pellet guns in the Kashmir Valley but suggests that it should be replaced with the polymer, rubber and paper bullets.
- Earlier, the Joint Secretary of the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has constituted a seven-member expert committee on the use of pallet guns.
11. BHEL commissions Unit-4 of Teesta Low Dam hydropower project:
- State-run BHEL has commissioned the 4th and last unit of the 4x40 MW Teesta Low Dam Hydro Electric Project (HEP) Stage-IV in West Bengal.
- A stretch of the river greenfield project located in Darjeeling district of West Bengal, Teesta HEP has been set up by NHPC Ltd, on the River Teesta.
12. President of Uzbekistan Islam Karimov passes away:
- Uzbekistan’s President Islam Karimov (78-year) passed away at Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
- Karimov had dominated Uzbekistan for more than 25 years.
- He was the first President of Uzbekistan from 1990 to 2016.
13. Zaheer Khan gets MCC's Honorary Life Membership:
- Zaheer Khan, former India pacer has been inducted as an Honorary Life Member of the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC).
- He is the third Indian player to receive the distinction this year after Virender Sehwag and Anjum Chopra.
14. All India Police Athletics Championship begins in Hyderabad:
- Telangana Governor E S L Narasimhan has declared to open the 65th All India Police Athletics Championship (AIPAC) at the GMC Balayogi stadium in Hyderabad.
- Over thousand sportspersons including 300 women from various state police departments and paramilitary force are taking part in the annual event being organized by the Central Industrial Security Force(CISF).
- The championship will continue till 7th of this month.