1. First BRICS film festival begins in New Delhi:
- Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting Rajyavardhan Rathore and Minister of State for External Affairs V. K. Singh have inaugurated the first BRICS film festival at Sirifort Auditorium Complex, New Delhi.
- The film festival is the run up to the BRICS summit which will be held in Goa next month.
- The five-day festival will act as a platform for people of the film industry of member countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) to explore areas of cooperation in the domain of cinema, culture and cuisine.
2. Govt. constitutes Sinha committee to study silt in Ganga in Bihar:
- The Union Government has constituted 4 member expert committee to study silt in river Ganga in Bihar.
- The committee will be headed by member of Ganga Flood Control commission A .K. Sinha.
- The committee will submit its report within 10 days.
- Earlier, Bihar CM Nitish Kumar had requested to PM Modi to send an expert team to study silt in Ganga which caused the devastating prevailing flood in the state.
3. Puducherry, Odisha and Rajasthan ratifies GST Bill:
- The Puducherry Odisha and Rajasthan Legislative Assembly have unanimously ratified the Constitution Amendment Bill for Goods and Services Tax (GST).
- GST is a tax levied when a consumer buys a good or service. It is meant to be a single, comprehensive tax that will subsume all the other smaller indirect taxes on consumption like service tax, excise duty etc.
4. Jackie Chan to get lifetime achievement Oscar:
- Veteran actor Jackie Chan will be awarded an honorary Oscar by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences on 12th November for his extraordinary achievements in the movies.
- The US film academy also voted to give the awards to editor Anne Coates, casting director Lynn Stalmaster and documentary maker Frederick Wiseman.
- Jackie starred in dozens of martial arts films in his native Hong Kong.
- He went on to huge international success with hits like Rumble in the Bronx, the Rush Hour franchise and the animation film ‘Kung Fu Panda‘.
- Chan was born on April 7, 1954 in Hong Kong, China.
5. Kiran M Shaw appointed ‘Knight of Legion of Honour’ by France:
- Managing director (MD) and Chairperson of a biotechnology company Biocon Ltd Kiran Mazumdar has been appointed ‘Chevalier de l’Ordre National de la Legion d’Honneur’ (Knight of the National Order of the French Legion of Honour) for her outstanding contribution and dedication to Biosciences and Research field.
- The award is conferred by the President of the French Republic.
- Chevalier l’Ordre National de la Legion d’Honneur has been created in 1802 by Napoleon Bonaparte.
- It is the highest civilian award of the French Republic for outstanding contribution in diverse fields bestowed on citizens of the world.
6. Gujarat signs MoU with Aviation Ministry:
- The Gujarat government has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the ministry of civil aviation to develop 11 airports and airstrips to boost regional connectivity.
- The central government’s new civil aviation policy emphasises regional connectivity to serve unconnected or under-served towns and boost infrastructure.
7. Justice Dhingra hints at irregularities in Haryana land deals case:
- Justice S.N. Dhingra has submitted an 182-page report to the Haryana government on granting of Change of Land Use (CLU) licences in 4 villages of Gurgaon during the rule of the previous Congress government, hinting at irregularities.
8. Deep Kumar Upadhyay re-appointed as Nepal’s envoy to India:
- Deep Kumar Upadhyay has re-appointed as Nepal’s ambassador to India.
- Since April 2015, Upadhyay was serving as Nepal’s ambassador to India but suddenly recalled by the erstwhile K.P. Sharma Oli-led government in May.
9. DCB launches ‘mVisa’, a mobile-based payment solution:
- DCB Bank has launched ‘mVisa’, a mobile-based payment solution that will make payments at retail outlets much easier.
- DCB Bank Ltd. is a private sector scheduled commercial bank in India.
10. SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket destroyed in explosion:
- A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket has exploded on its Cape Canaveral launch pad during a test.
- The explosion destroyed a commercial satellite that Facebook had planned to use to extend Internet access in Africa.
- Space Exploration Technologies Corporation (SpaceX) is an American aerospace manufacturer and space transport services company.
11. LG Electronic ties up with Amazon on smart-home services:
- LG Electronics Inc. has tied-up with Amazon.com Inc on smart-home services.
- This tie-up will help to enable the services of Amazon such as the Alexa virtual assistant on some of the electronics maker's devices.
- Alexa will work with its SmartThinkQ Hub, an LG device used to connect with home appliances over the internet.
12. Veteran trade Union leader Sharad Rao passes away:
- Veteran trade union leader Sharad Rao (78-year) passed away in Mumbai.
- He acknowledged for his role in mobilising the work- force in both the organised and unorganised sectors.
- Rao headed several unions including the Hind Mazdoor Sabha, the Brihanmumbai Electric Supply Trust (BEST) Workers’ Union and the Municipal Mazdoor Union.
13. Noted Assamese poet Nalini Dhar Bhattacharyya dies at 95:
- Noted Assamese poet, literary critic, author and winner of the Sahitya Akademi award Nalinidhar Bhattacharyya passed away in Guwahati early Friday morning.
- Bhattacharyya, aged 95, was suffering from age-old ailments.
14. Indian Para athletes leave for Paralympic Games:
- Indian para-athletes left for the Brazilian city of Rio de Janeiro for the Summer Paralympic Games beginning next week.
- The Indian contingent, largest-ever from the country, comprises of 18 athletes.
- The Paralympic Games begin on Wednesday and will conclude on 18th of this month.