1. Govt. approves Rs 450 cr for five states under Swadesh Darshan scheme:
- Union Tourism Ministry has approved the amount 450 crore rupees for the development of Heritage circuit in Madhya Pradesh and Uttarakhand, Ramayana Circuit in Uttar Pradesh, North East Circuit in Sikkim and Coastal Circuit of Tamil Nadu.
- The Heritage Circuit in Madhya Pradesh covers Gwalior- Orchha-Khajuraho-Chanderi-Bhimbetka-Mandu.
- The Heritage Circuit in Uttarakhand is on developing Tourism Infrastructure in Jageshwar-Devidhura-Katarmal-Baijnath sites.
- Coastal circuit in Tamil Nadu envisages development of Chennai-Mamamallapuram-Rameshwaram-Manpadu-Kanyakumari.
- Ramayana Circuit in Uttar Pradesh envisages development of two destinations, Chitrakoot and Shringverpur.
- North East circuit in Sikkim includes development of cultural centre, paragliding centre and craft bazaar for mountaineering and meditation hall.
2. K G George to be honoured with J C Daniel Award:
- Veteran film director K G George (70-year) has been selected for the J C Daniel award 2015 for his overall contribution to the Malayalam film industry.
- The award is considered the top one in the industry and given by the Kerala government to honour a film personality for his or her contribution.
- The award, conferred by the state government annually in recognition of an individual’s contribution to Malayalam cinema, comprises of Rs 1 lakh and a citation.
3. Dharmendra Pradhan launches 'Gas4India' campaign to boost natural gas use:
- The Union Minister of State for Petroleum and Natural Gas Dharmendra Pradhan has launched Gas4India campaign for the aimed at promoting the use of gas in the country.
- Dharmendra Pradhan also launched the website, Twitter handle, facebook page and Theme song of the campaign.
4. Indian film ‘Thithi’ wins best film award at BRICS Film Festival:
- Indian film Thithi (Kannada) has won the best film award at the first BRICS Film Festival in New Delhi.
- Thithi is a dramatic comedy Kannada film co-written and directed by Raam Reddy.
- The film festival screened movies from India, Brazil, Russia, China and South Africa.
- Earlier, The film festival opened in New Delhi on 2nd of this month with the screening of a Malayalam movie, Veeram.
Best film : Thithi (India)
Best Actor : Thabo Rametsi (South Africa)
Best Actress : Yulia Peresild (Russia)
Best Director : Huo Jianqi (China)
5. India ends Yaws, Maternal & Neonatal Tetanus, WHO certifies:
- India has received certificates from World Health Organisation (WHO) for recognising the elimination of Yaws ,Maternal and Neonatal Tetanus (MNT) from the country.
- According to the Union Health Minister J P Nadda, India has received WHO’s certificates for MNTE Yaws-free India at 69th session of Regional Committee of WHO at, Colombo,Sri Lanka.
- Yaws is a chronic bacterial infection that affects the skin, bones and cartilages.
6. UN Charter translated into Sanskrit:
- The UN Charter, the seminal treaty of the United Nations, has now been translated into Sanskrit.
- The Charter is available in all six official languages of the UN.
7. Govt approves 6 start-up centres:
- The Central government has approved six proposals to set up centres of excellence to promote and fund start-ups under the National Initiative for Development and Harnessing Innovation (NIDHI), a programme steered by the Department of Science and Technology.
- The proposals for six centres of excellence that were approved by the National Expert Advisory Committee include SINE-IIT Bombay, Venture Center-NCL Pune, CIIE-IIM Ahmedabad and a research park at IIT-Gandhinagar.
8. Helpline no. 14401 for info on power cuts launched:
- The Department of Telecom (DoT) has created ‘Urja Mitra Helpline’ through which customers can get information on power outages from distribution companies by dialling 14401.
- It will be used to send information through voice calls and SMSes to customers, a DoT notification read.
9. Sushil Kumar nominated for Padma Bhushan:
- Wrestler Sushil Kumar has been nominated for the Padma Bhushan by the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI).
- The Federation has also recommended female wrestler Alka Tomar and Dronacharya awardee Yashvir Singh (Sushil’s coach) for the honour.
- Sushil is the only Indian athlete to have won two individual Olympic medals a bronze in the 2008 Beijing Games and a silver in the 2012 London Games.
- He already bestowed with the Khel Ratna award (the country’s highest sporting honour).
- The Padma Bhushan is the third-highest civilian award in the Republic of India, after the Bharat Ratna and the Padma Vibhushan.
10. India's light utility helicopter maiden flight successful:
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) has successfully completed test flight of indigenous Light Utility Helicopter (LUH) in Bengaluru.
- The LUH will replace the military’s obsolescent fleet of Chetak and Cheetah helicopters that have flown for over three decades.
11. Summer Paralympic Games begin today:
- Summer Paralympic Games 2016 has begun in the Brazilian city of Rio de Janeiro with an opening ceremony at the Maracana Stadium.
- Round 4,000 athletes from over 160 countries will compete in 22 different sport disciplines in the 12-day event.
- India is fielding its largest-ever contingent of 19 athletes who will feature in 10 disciplines.