1. BRICS Convention on Tourism begins in Madhya Pradesh:
- Today, two-day long 2016 BRICS Convention on Tourism has begun at world heritage site Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh.
- State’s Tourism Minister Shri Surendra Patwa and Union Tourism Secretary Vinod Zutshi inaugurated the convention.
- Delegations from the BRICS countries India, Brazil, Russia, China and South Africa are participating in the event.
- The convention has been organized as a precursor to the BRICS Summit to be held in Goa in October 2016.
2. Michel Temer sworn in as new Brazil president:
- Brazil’s former vice president Michel Temer (75-year) has been sworn in as the new president (37th) after the country’s Senate voted to remove Dilma Rousseff from office.
- Temer will serve as president until December 31, 2018.
3. MoUD, Amar Chitra Katha sign MoU to publish comic book on Swachh Bharat Mission:
- Storyteller to generations of Indians, Amar Chitra Katha will now publish and distribute a special edition of a comic book focusing on Swachh Bharat Mission.
- The Ministry of Urban Development (MoUD) has signed an MoU with Amar Chitra Katha to publish and distribute a 32-page comic.
4. ISRO to launch Insat 3 D R satellite:
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) will launch Insat 3 D R satellite on 8th of September.
- According to ISRO chairman Dr A S Kiran Kumar, on 26th September SCAN SAT satellite will also be launched.
- He said the SCAN SAT will be launched along with one Algerian satellite, two university satellite.
5. Railway launches insurance scheme for passengers traveling on e- ticket:
- Today, Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu has launched an insurance scheme for passengers traveling on e- ticket.
- To avail the facility, train passengers have to pay 92 paisa premium.
- A person booking a train ticket through the IRCTC website will be eligible for the travel insurance and it is optional.
- The facility will be available only for confirmed and RAC ticket passengers.
- The scheme offers travelers or nominees a compensation of 10 lakh Rupees in the event of death (or total disability) 7.5 lakh Rupees for partial disability, up to 2 lakh Rupees for hospitalization expenses and 10,000 rupees for transportation of mortal remains from the place of a train accident.
- The insurance cover will not be applicable for children up to 5 years of age and foreign citizens.
6. Union Cabinet Approvals:
- Cabinet approves the dissolution of Central Inland Water Transport Corporation Limited.
- Union Cabinet approved MoU between CERT-In and CERT-UK in the field of cyber Security.
- Union Cabinet approves Project Development Fund for CLMV countries.
- Union Cabinet approved the scheme for the grant of Permanent Residency Status (PRS) to foreign investors.
7. Anant Kumar inaugurates INDIA-CHEM 2016 International Conference in Mumbai:
- Union Ministers for Chemicals & Petrochemicals Anant Kumar has inaugurated 3 day INDIA-CHEM 2016 International Conference in Mumbai.
- It includes 23 countries, 282 exhibitors along with partner states like Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat and Orissa.
- Anant Kumar has announced that Chemical Institute of technology will be launched soon in Mumbai.
8. President of Egypt to arrive on three-day visit to India today:
- President of Egypt, Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi, is arriving on a three-day visit to India today.
- He will be accompanied by a high-level delegation comprising Ministers, officials and business leaders.
9. India’s economic growth for first quarter slows to 7.1 percent:
- India’s gross domestic product (GDP) slowed to 7.1 % in the April to June quarter of the current fiscal.
- This is the slowest growth in the last six quarters due to the subdued performance of the mining, construction and farm sectors.
- GDP had expanded 7.5 % growth in the year-ago quarter and 7.9% in the January to March 2016 quarter.
- Growth in the farm sector 1.8 % and in construction it was 1.5 % during the quarter under review and manufacturing sector growth accelerated to 9.1%.
10. Odisha CM to share his thoughts through Radio every month:
- Odisha CM, Naveen Patnaik, would share his thoughts on different issues through the radio for 10 minutes every month.
- The State government has decided to launch ‘Biju Goan Radio’ through which the Chief Minister would address the people soon.
11. Anuradha Rao appointed as MD, CEO of SBI Mutual Fund:
- Anuradha Rao has been appointed as the Managing Director (MD) and chief executive of SBI Mutual Fund.
- She has worked as the Chief General Manager (GM) of personal Banking at the bank.
- SBI Mutual Fund is a bank-sponsored fund house with its corporate headquarters in Mumbai, India.
12. Ashok Chawla appointed as Chancellor of TERI University:
- Former Finance Secretary Ashok Chawla (IAS officer of 1973 batch) has been appointed as the new Chancellor of The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) University.
- He is currently serving as the Chairman of TERI since February 2016.
- TERI has ended its last association with former Chancellor and Head R.K. Pachauri, who was accused of sexually harassing a female colleague in 2015.