- Today, Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh has inaugurated 4- days Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyay Krishi Unnati Mela – 2016 in Mathura.
- The Agriculture Minister has also laid the foundation stone of first Gokul Gram Project in Mathura.
- He also presents Antyodaya Krishi Puruskars to 22 farmers for their contribution in the agriculture sector at the birth place of Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay in Mathura.
- Azma of Telangana has been awarded for conserving old seeds and setting up community seeds bank.
2. World’s largest radio telescope built in China:
- China has built world’s largest radio telescope nicknamed Tianyan (Heavenly Eye” or “The Eye of Heaven) or the 500-metre aperture spherical radio telescope (FAST).
- It has started its operation and is part of China’s drive to become a science powerhouse.
- It is located in the Dawodang depression (vast natural crater), a natural basin in Pingtang County in the Guizhou Province, Southwest China.
- It is the world’s largest filled aperture (single dish) radio telescope and the second largest radio telescope after the Russian RATAN-600, which has a sparsely filled aperture.
3. ISRO successfully launches weather satellite SCATSAT-1:
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has successfully launched its satellite SCATSAT-1 for ocean and weather-related studies from Satish Dhawan Space Centre, Sriharikota.
- The satellite Carrying the 377 kg SCATSAT-1 and seven other satellites.
- This was the first mission of PSLV in which it launched its payloads into two different orbits.
- The expected lifespan of SCATSAT-1 is expected to be five years.
- ISRO’s SCATSAT-1 can generate accurate data on wind patterns over the ocean surface.
4. Ajay Singh elected BFI president:
- The Chairman and Managing Director (MD) of Spicejet Airlines Ajay Singh (51-year) has elected as the new president of the Boxing Federation of India(BFI).
- Maharashtra’s Jay Kowli was elected the Secretary General.
- Ajay Singh got 49 votes against the 15 that his rival Rohit Jain (Delhi) polled in the election which had observers from the International Boxing Association (AIBA) and the Sports Ministry to monitor the proceedings.
5. First Russia-Pakistan joint military exercise Druzhba-2016 begins in Cherat:
- The first Druzhba-2016 (Friendship-2016) Russian-Pakistani joint military exercise commenced on 24 September 2016 in Cherat, Pakistan.
- The exercise will conclude on 10 October 2016.
- The drills are being conducted at the Pakistan Army’s High Altitude School at Rattu in Gilgit-Baltistan and at a special forces training centre at Cherat in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.
6. Govt sets target of toilets in every household by 2019: Tomar:
- Minister of Drinking Water and Sanitation Narendra Tomar has set a target of toilets in every household by 2019.
- According to Tomar 23 districts are now totally free from open defecation.
- Toilets have been made in every household in 85,000 villages of the country.
- Swachh Bharat Week is being celebrated from 25th September to 2nd October.
7. Anurag Srivastava appoints Ambassador of India to the Republic of Djibouti:
- Shri Anurag Srivastava, presently Ambassador of India to the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia,
- He has been concurrently accredited as the Ambassador of India to the Republic of Djibouti, with residence in Addis Ababa.
8. The Hindu wins reader engagement awards:
- The Hindu has been awarded the Silver and Bronze awards in the ‘Best Reader Engagement’ category of the South Asian Digital Media Awards at the WAN-IFRA (World Association of Newspapers and News Publishers) India 2016 conference in Kolkata.
9. Golf legend Arnold Palmer passes away:
- American professional golfer Arnold Palmer (87-year) has passed away in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania due to heart complications.
- He received virtually every national award in golf and was the “Athlete of the Decade” for the 1960s in a national Associated Press poll.
10. Film Certification Appellate Tribunal chairman Mahajan passes away:
- Former Delhi High Court judge SK Mahajan has passed away.
- Mahajan was serving as the chairman of Film Certification Appellate Tribunal (FCAT).
11. Alexander Zverev won St Petersburg Open Men’s Singles title:
- German tennis player Alexander Zverev on 25 September 2016 defeated Stan Wawrinka to win his first tour title in the St. Petersburg Open final.
- Zverev defeated Wawrinka by 6-2, 3-6, 7-5 to win the title.
- With this, Zverev becomes the first man to beat Wawrinka in a tour final since 2013. The loss also ends a 10-match unbeaten run for Wawrinka.
- The St. Petersburg Open is a professional men's tennis tournament played on indoor hard courts.
12. 50th State Athletics Championship 2016 starts in Agartala:
- Today, 50th State Athletics Championship 2016 started at Dasarath Dev State Sports Complex in Agartala (Tripura).
- Around 450 athletes participated in the opening ceremony.
- The event, sponsored by ONGC, Tripura Asset will conclude on September 28th ,2016.
13. Pinky Balhara wins bronze medal in 5th Asian Beach Games:
- India’s Pinky Balhara has won bronze medal in the sporting event of kurash at the 5th Asian Beach Games held at Da Nang, Vietnam.
- She won the medal in women’s 52kg category after she lost to Nguyen Thi Thanh Thuy of Vietnam in the semifinals.
- Vietnam’s Nguyen Thi Thanh Thuy won the gold medal in this event while another Vietnamese Nguyen Thi Quynh won the silver medal.
14. R Ashwin becomes fastest Indian & second overall to take 200 Test wickets:
- Indian Off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin has become the fastest Indian and second overall to take 200 wickets in his 37th Test.
- Ashwin trapped New Zealand skipper Kane Williamson in front to get to the 200th wicket.
- Leg-spinner Clarrie Grimmett (Australia) got to the 200 of wickets faster than Ashwin in 36 Tests.
- He left behind the likes of Dennis Lillee (Australia) and Waqar Younis (Pakistan) who took 38 Tests to get to 200 wickets.