1. 8th September: International Literacy Day:
- The International Literacy Day is being observed every year on 08 September to emphasize the importance of literacy to individuals, society and communities .
- This year, the world is celebrating 50th International Literacy Day and the theme is “Reading the Past, Writing the Future“.
- The day was established in 1966 by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
2. OP Kohli takes charge as Governor of Madhya Pradesh:
- Gujarat Governor Om Prakash Kohli was administered the oath of office as Governor of Madhya Pradesh by acting Chief Justice of MP High Court Rajendra Menon today at the Raj Bhawan in Bhopal.
- Kohli will hold charge of the office of Governor of MP along with Gujarat after Ram Naresh Yadav's tenure in office got over on Wednesday.
3. India, Greece sign Air Services Agreement under Open Sky Policy:
- India signed the bilateral Air Services Agreement with Greece to allow unlimited points of call for domestic airlines in Greece.
- Both the countries have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) in this regard under the Open Sky Policy.
- It will be the first such ASA with Greece, a country known for its tourist spots and scenic beauty.
4. ISRO successfully launches advanced weather satellite INSAT-3DR:
- Today, The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has successfully launched its advanced weather satellite (INSAT-3DR) from Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh.
- INSAT 3DR would join the operational Search and Rescue service provided by INSAT 3D to various users, including Coast Guard, Airport Authority of India, Shipping, Defence Services.
- INSAT-3DR will provide a variety of meteorological services to the country.
- The operational life of the INSAT-3DR is about 10 years.
5. India Kazakhstan Joint Exercise “Prabal Dostyk -16”:
- India, Kazakhstan joint bilateral military exercise “Prabal Dostyk -16” has begun in Karaganda region of Kazakhstan.
- The 14-day exercise will be a significant step towards fostering military as well as diplomatic ties between both countries.
- The excercise, ‘Prabal Dostyk’ means ‘Robust Friendship’.
6. Government appoints J. Satyanarayana as the chairperson of UIDAIU:
- The Union Govt. has chosen a retired IAS officer and former DEITY Secretary J. Satyanarayana as the Chairperson of the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAIU).
- He succeeds former Infosys co-founder Nandan Nilekani (first Chairman of the UIDAI) and had stepped down from the post in 2014.
7. Railways to implement Flexi Fare system in Rajdhani, Shatabdi & Duronto trains:
- Indian Railways have decided to implement Flexi Fare system in Rajdhani, Shatabdi and Duronto trains.
- Under the scheme, the base fares will increase by 10% with every ten percent of berth sold, subject to a prescribed ceiling limit.
- Supplementary charges like reservation charges, Superfast charge, Catering charges and Service tax will be levied separately.
- There will be no change in the existing fare for 1AC and Executive class of travel in these trains.
8. DoT unveils new norms on SIM upgradation:
- The Department of Telecom (DoT) has come out with new guidelines on SIM upgradation from 2G to 3G or 4G.
- It can be done with a clear go-ahead from mobile users and on their request.
- The new guidelines have already come into effect.
- Now, The subscriber will have to generate a request customer care or online or point of sale of the company.
- Once the request is received, the operator will issue a new SIM card to the subscriber.
9. Satbir Singh appointed as next Ambassador of India to Algeria:
- Satbir Singh, presently Additional Secretary in the Ministry has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the People's Democratic Republic of Algeria.
- Algeria, officially the People's Democratic Republic of Algeria, is a sovereign state in North Africa on the Mediterranean coast.
10. Union Govt. announces financial package for Andhra Pradesh:
- Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley has announced a financial package for Andhra Pradesh.
- It includes full funding of Pollavaram irrigation project, tax concessions and a special assistance.
- The funding of Pollavaram project would be met by the Centre from 1st of April 2014.
- The state will also get a railway zone.
11. World's biggest river island Majuli gets district status:
- Majuli, the 483 sq km island on the Brahmaputra river has become the first river island district of India.
- with this Majuli become the 35th district of Assam.
- It regained the status of world's largest river island in the Guinness Book of World Records on September 1.
12. Stuart Blackburn's book based on Arunachal wins MM Bennetts Award:
- Author Stuart Blackburn's "Into the Hidden Valley", a book based on Apatani tribe of Arunachal Pradesh, won the MM Bennetts Award for Historical Fiction 2016 in the UK.
13. Gujarat CM dedicates 2 Mbps connectivity to 6,000 villages:
- Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani has dedicated 2 Mbps download and 512 kbps upload digital connectivity to 6,000 villages at a ceremony in Gandhinagar.
- Now 6,000 villages out of 14,000 are given 2 Mbps connectivity through BSNL network.
- As these villages are out of the V-SAT platform, the rest of the villages served by V-SAT will also get faster connectivity.
- Gujarat Government has set the target to achieve 100 percent village connectivity through optical fiber network 2nd October next year.