1. Subramanian Swamy awarded ‘Tamil Ratna’ in United States:
- BJP leader and Rajya Sabha MP Subramanian Swamy has been honoured with ‘Tamil Ratna’ award by a body of Tamil diaspora in New York (USA)
- Swamy has honoured for fighting corruption and working for more transparency in the functioning of the government.
- Earlier, Tamil Ratna awardees include Oscar-winning composer AR Rahman and movie director Bharathi Raja.
2. Joint Indian-US army exercise ‘Yudh Abhyas 2016’ to begin in Uttarakhand:
- As part of the ongoing Indo-US defence cooperation, a joint military training exercise, ‘Yudh Abhyas 2016’ is set to be conducted in Uttarakhand from September 14 to 27.
- The exercise in Chaubattia was being conducted by the headquarter Central Command.
3. Guru Kelucharan Mohapatra Award 2016 awarded to Jharana Das:
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has honored Renowned Odia cine actress Jharana Das and Odishi dance guru Kishore Kumar Mohanty with the prestigious Guru Kelucharan Mohapatra Award 2016 for lifetime achievement.
- The award, given in memory of the revered Guru Kelucharan Mohapatra, carries a cash prize of Rs. 1 lakh and a citation.
4. philippine revenge drama wins best picture at the world’s oldest film festival:
- A revenge drama Ang Babaeng Humayo (The Woman Who Left) on 10 September 2016 won the Golden Lion for Best Film Award at the 73 Venice Film Festival.
- On the other hand, Russian director Andrei Konchalovsky and Mexican film director Amat Escalante shared Silver Lion for Best Direction for their respective films Paradise and The Untamed.
5. Govt. launches toll-free number for postal complaints:
- The Union government has launched a toll-free number 1924 to register postal complaints.
- The service will be initially operational for 12 hours on working days between 8 AM to 8 PM in Hindi, Malayalam, and English.
- The Department of Personnel (DoP) will set up a nodal officer in all postal circles who will handle public complaints.
- The complaints received on the toll-free number would be registered in Computerised Customer Care (CCC) Centre portal by the operators at the Dak Bhawan and the 11 digits ticket number would be provided to the complainants.
6. HP, Singapore sign MoU for smart integrated township:
- Himachal Pradesh government has signed a preliminary Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Singapore government for developing a smart integrated township in Jathiadevi near Shimla airport.
- The MoU was signed between Himachal PradeshHousing and Urban Development Authority (HIMUDA) and Asian Pacific SingaporeEnterprise in the presence of Urban Development and Town and Country Planning and Housing minister Sudhir Sharma.
7. CBDT launches e-nivaran to resolve I-T grievances:
- The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has launched “e-nivaran” (electronic resolution) facility for online redressal of taxpayers’ grievances related to refunds, ITRs and PAN issues.
- Its link will be available on the e-filing portal “http://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in” of the department.
- It was launched as part of CBDT’s initiative to reduce instances of harassment of the public when it comes to complaints related to the I-T department.
8. Vidya Balan Brand Ambassador of Samajwadi Pension Yojana:
- Bollywood actress Vidya Balan appointed as brand ambassador of the ambitious Samajwadi Pension Yojana by Uttar Pradesh government.
- The actor who had earlier been associated with the "ghar-ghar shauchalya" campaign of the Union government will be seen campaigning about the scheme in the coming months.
- The main Objective of the scheme to encourage savings among people living below the poverty line and provide them financial assistance.
9. Centre inaugurates national fair in Bengaluru:
- Union Minister of State for Ayush (Independent Charge) Shri Shripad Yesso Naik and Union minister for Fertilisers and Chemicals and Parliamentary Affairs Shri Ananth Kumar inaugurated the National Fair on comprehensive Indian Medicine system (AROGYA) in Bengaluru.
- The two days BRICS Wellness Workshop and AROGYA fair is being organized by the Ministry of AYUSH, in collaboration with Research and Information System for Developing Countries (RIS).
10. India wins 4 golds in ITTF junior championships:
- India has won four golds, one silver and five bronze medals in the International Table Tennis Federation Junior and Cadet Open Championships (ITTF)-2016 at Indore(Madhya Pradesh).
- Taipei topped the table claiming five Gold.
- India won three singles gold medals through Varuni Jaiswal, Manav Thakkar and Ishhita Gupta.
- India has won the Junior Boys doubles gold when Ananth Devarajan and Manav Thakkar combined to outwit Taipei’s Lai Chi-Chien and Tai Ming-Wei (11-7, 7-11, 11-7, 8-11, 12-10).
11. Stan Wawrinka wins 2016 US Open men’s title:
- Swiss professional tennis player Stan Wawrinka (31-year) has defeated world no 1 and defending champion Novak Djokovic (Serbia) to claim a third Grand Slam title at the US Open tennis tournament 2016.\
- In the final,Wawrinka secured a 6-7 (1/7), 6-4, 7-5, 6-3 victory over Djokovic.
- This is his third major title (Australian Open-2014, French Open-2015 and US Open-2016).
12. Angelique Kerber wins US Open women’s title:
- Germany’s Angelique Kerber has defeated Karolina Pliskova (Czech Republic) by 6–3, 4–6, 6–4 to win 2016 US Open Women’s Singles title.
- This is her second Grand Slam trophy of the year (won the Australian Open).
- She has become the first German to win the US Open since Steffi Graf in 1996.
13. Pakistan appoints Wasim Bari as manager of national cricket team:
- Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has been appointed former Test captain Wasim Bari (68-years) as the senior men’s team’s manager for the forthcoming series against West Indies in the UAE.
- He will take over managerial duties from Intikhab Alam.
- Bari’s tenure will begin with the T20I assignment against West Indies(starting from September 23).
14. Army Green beat Neroca FC 6-5 to lift Durand Cup :
- Army Green have won the Durand Cup Football Title 2016.
- In the final of Asia’s oldest football tournament in New Delhi, Army Green defeated Neroca FC 6-5 via penalty shootouts.
- Army Green serves as one of the football teams for the Indian Army.
- The Durand Football Tournament is a football competition in India which first held in 1888.
- The Tournament is named after its founder, Sir Mortimer Durand, Foreign Secretary in charge of India from 1884 to 1894.