1. ASEAN Summit 2016 concludes in Vientiane, Laos:
- The 28th & 29th Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Summit concluded at Vientiane, Laos.
- The theme for the 2016 summit was Turning Vision into Reality for a Dynamic ASEAN Community.
- Prime Minister of the Laos Thongloun Sisoulith was the Chairperson of the summit.
- The Summit has been attended by the leaders of the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Brunei Darussalam, Viet Nam, Lao PDR, Myanmar and Cambodia).
- The ASEAN Summit is a semiannual meeting held by the member of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations in relation to economic and cultural development of Southeast Asian countries.
2. President approves GST Bill:
- President Pranab Mukherjee has signed the GST Constitution Amendment Bill thereby making it a law.
- GST Bill has been ratified by the Parliament, as well as 16 states.
- The GST bill met the requisite percentage of 50% for its ratification and government plans to roll out the new indirect tax regime from 1 April, 2017.
3. Govt. approves subsidized chopper service for JK, Himachal:
- The Union Government has approved subsidized helicopter services in 10 sectors of Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) and Himachal Pradesh(HP) to connect inaccessible destinations.
- Officers of the State Government on tour, Income tax payers or tourists will not be eligible for subsidized fares.
- The operator of the services will be selected by the open tender process by the State Government.
- The operation of helicopter services in the State will continue till March, next year.
4. Sikkim cleanest state in India:
- Sikkim has been adjudged the cleanest state while Jharkhand comes last in the list of 26 states.
- Gujarat is ranked 14th in the survey conducted by National Sample Survey Office (NSSO).
- Kerala, Mizoram, Himachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Haryana, Punjab, Uttarakhand, Manipur and Meghalaya are among the top 10 states.
5. Syndicate Bank appoints Director:
- Syndicate bank has nominated Jayant Purushottam Gokhale as the part-time non-official director under the chartered accountant category for a period of 3 years.
- Gokhale appointment is subject to his resignation from the board of LIC Nomura Mutual Fund Asset Management Company, before joining the bank’s board.
6. PepsiCo's Indra Nooyi only Indian-origin woman in Fortune list:
- PepsiCo CEO and Chairman Indra Nooyi was ranked 2nd on the list of Fortune's 51 Most Powerful Women list.
- The list is topped by Mary Barra, CEO and Chairman of General Motors.
7. Mehbooba launches “CM Scooty Scheme” for girls in J&K:
- Today, Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti has launched the 'CM Scooty Scheme' in the state to encourage girls to go to colleges for higher studies.
- Under CM Scooty Scheme 300 girls of two colleges were distributed scooters.
- Eligibility for a scooty was based on a minimum percentage of 65% and an annual family income of Rs. 4 lakh.
8. Govt launches registration module for Indian students studying abroad:
- The Union Government has launched Students Registration Module on madad.gov.in for Indian students studying abroad.
- This registration will be of immense help, in case of any emergency.
- Currently, there is no data available on the Indian students studying abroad.
9. NASA launches first mission to collect samples from asteroid:
- The US space agency NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) has launched its first mission to collect samples from an asteroid and return them to Earth in hopes of learning more about the origins of life.
- The spacecraft OSIRIS-REx (unmanned) blasted off from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.
- The 800 million dollar mission will travel for two years on a journey to Bennu.
- OSIRIS-REx’s main goal is to gather dirt and debris from the surface of the asteroid and return it to Earth by 2023 for further study.
10. ICICI Bank introduces 'Software Robotics' to improve banks productivity:
- ICICI Bank, has announced the deployment of 'Software Robotics' in over 200 business processes across various functions of the bank.
- The software robots will reduce the response time to customers by up to 60%.
11. Anjum Chopra becomes first Indian woman to be honoured with MCC life membership:
- Former Indian women’s cricket team captain Anjum Chopra (39-year) has been awarded an honorary life membership of the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC).
- Anjum has honoured along with former men’s team stalwarts Zaheer Khan and Virender Sehwag.
- She is the first Indian woman cricketer to get the prestigious life membership of MCC.